Apple Watch Outsold All Competing Smartwatches Combined Last Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 1, 2018.

1. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

This news was not unexpected.

Apple is good at making applesauce, as it rolls over the competition.

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I see a lot of Fit Bit's and Garmin's a few Apple watches and ever fewer Android Wear and Tizen.

3. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

4. bearcats087 macrumors member

bearcats087

That's what they will say about the HomePod too

5. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Is every Fitbit a watch? I really don’t consider an activity tracker with a clock a smart watch.
    I spend a lot of time in Boston, see a lot of people at one of the major hospitals, I see an impressive number of apple watches on a daily basis.

6. Nikiaf macrumors regular

I disagree, I think it's very much a gimmick, and a fad. Easily the most unessential piece of tech you can buy, and we're still very much in the early phase of the smartwatch being a thing. I'm very interested to watch how sales of the 4th gen watch will be, and how the sales continue into the future. If there's one sector in tech that won't stand the test of time, it's this one.

And by the way, I have an Apple Watch. I function just fine on the days when I don't wear it.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

According to this article it is.

8. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I disagree. There's good apps for it, there was just a lot of clutter in the beginning with it being a new category. I like being able to check the weather, check sports scores, reply to text messages, make purchases, and check email without pulling out my phone.

9. lkrupp macrumors 6502a

Just the opposite here. My Series 0 (42mm Stainless Steel w/Milanese Loop band) performs as well as it ever has. I wear it daily, charge it at night, use Apple Pay with it. It just works. So I suspect you don’t really have an Apple Watch at all as that kind of disparity simply doesn’t compute.

10. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I wasn't thinking of that in my list of must-have features... How do you expect BT5 to improve your watch?

11. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

Stop with these "love mine" arguments as a proof that the product is not a flop. I bet you also like your AirPort Express. How did that work for the latter? Remember 2008 headlines?
    Apple's AirPort grabs 10.6% share of 802.11n WiFi market

12. apolloa macrumors G4

And the secrecy continues...

Not disoroving these figures, BUT they are estimates Ames by someone who is not Apple, so is a guess. I want Aplle to actually announce the figures and not hide them.

On the flip side the latest Watch Os update has made my little beauty a bit more responsive, it’s my favourite Aplle gadget at the moment :)

13. Rhonindk, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018

Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

As an experiment I tried setting my Gear Sport up on my iPhone 7+ - Even though it works well, Apple limits the ability to really interact with the watch. The same Gear Sport linked to my Razer has a good bit more functionality.

14. lkrupp macrumors 6502a

Then how do you explain the utter failure of the Samsung wearable products? Samsung didn’t even make the top 5 in the Q4 reports, much less YOY growth. The Apple Watch market share is 5 times that of Samsung.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2018 ---
    You want Apple to announce actual figures when none of your precious Android makers do?

15. firewire9000 macrumors 6502

Next time buy an Apple Watch because if you bought an iWatch it was a counterfeit.

16. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

You do realize that the disparity may also be explained by the fact that you don't have AW?

17. apolloa macrumors G4

‘My’ precious Android makers? Why did you say that then?

I’m curious as that comment suggest you totally and utterly ignored my second paragraph, this would then suggest that you only read and see what you want to in these forums?

18. michaelb5000 macrumors regular

I still think applepay is the killer watch feature and that the watch is being held back by slow implementation of applepay. Once using a "credit card" is as antiquated as writing a check, having a watch or other wearable device for ID and security will be the norm. And yes, the watch is better than a phone in every possible way for applepay (although I will admit I have never tried my phone).

19. Boroughbloke macrumors newbie

It has its place, but I doubt an Apple Watch will ever be handed down as a treasured family heirloom or be considered like cash on your wrist in quite the way a Rolex might be. When it comes to how ridiculous it is to compare sales of Apple Watch with the Swiss watch industry, that is comparing Apples with Oranges. No pun intended there.

20. apolloa macrumors G4

Haha, I walked up to the local store earlier tonight for some groceries and beer in the thick snow! Realised I’d forgotten my wallet when I got there so I paid with my Apple Watch like a classy geek lol :D

21. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

Agreed I have the S3 Frontier and the Series 3 Apple Watch, both LTE, and I definitely like the looks and daily function of the Samsung one. Samsung Pay and the normal watch appearance just win for me hands down I like being able to use my watch to pay everywhere I go.

22. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

You're right, I can't explain it. Maybe Samsung has not pushed it hard. It is indeed a great product, but has nowhere near the traction. All I can say is that I owned an A-Watch since launch, and just like the Samsung offering a lot better. For me, easier to use, better apps, and better looking.

23. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

Of course it did.

The Apple Watch is a great product and far ahead of everyone else. Love my Series 3.

24. MarkB786, Mar 1, 2018

MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Yes. I find it easier to dress up my Frontier with nice bands and professional watch faces when I wear a suit or nice business casual. The A-Watch, to me, just looks wanna-be hipster when I dress up, while the Frontier looks classy. Just my style choice, though. Doesn't hurt that I got the watch for $49 when I bought my Note 8. :)

BTW, the Frontier, even with screen on all day and taking a couple of calls per day via LTE, surpasses the AW-S2 on battery life. I routinely go to bed with at least 60% charge remaining (0630 to 2200).

25. lowendlinux, Mar 1, 2018

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It's also apples and oranges to compare the Apple watch to the others as they're both extensions of their separate ecosystems.