Apple Watch Outsold All Competing Smartwatches Combined Last Year

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
AW rocks. I love mine. It improved my fitness big time. While I miss my Omega Seamaster a lot, I can't get away from closing those rings. ;)

Reactions: simonmet

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Well my Series 0 that Ive taken excellent care of barely functions now. Software or hardware it doesn’t matter Im not impressed.
Really? I've worn my series 0 stainless steel every single day since launch... and it still works great. Literally wear it _every_ day and use it all day to control my smart house (using Siri), get notifications, view the weather, keep track of my workouts use shared grocery lists, etc.

Sure - it's a little slow... but it always was. I can't really say much has changed over the years.

This is probably the best Apple product I've ever bought as far as return on investment. Much cheaper than an iPhone and it's lasted me 3 years of every day use.

That said: I am planning on upgrading when the next Watch upgrade is announced. Mostly I want to upgrade to get the sweet new speed :)

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
You see how things don't always play out during the first 2 weeks of a product release? Apple has picked up momentum every single year this Watch has been out. Does this sound familiar, HomePod haters?

Looking forward to similar stories about HomePod as we move along here.

Apple just killing it.

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Yes, it's a slick watch, but, I do like my Samsung Frontier Gear S3 better. I owned two iterations of the iWatch, and have found the Gear to be more intuitive and useful for my purposes. And I think it looks a lot better for me.

Still the, iWatch is nice and I look forward to watching as the two brands make things even better.
Agree 100%. Apple really needs to rethink the UI and controls in my opinion. Trying to swipe the screen and turn the crown with sweaty hands while working out is not fun. The Gear S3 UI and rotating bezel win on that front big time.

As for the bickering about niche, success, etc. Apple is a smartphone company. The AW is an accessory for their smartphones. Its a niche to them, and it is a niche to the market because it doesn't work with about 85% of the smartphone in the market. If the smartwatch segment really takes off, Apple won't be able to dominate it with a product that doesn't support the vast majority of users. But it is a nice product if you have an iPhone.

fourthtunz

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
That was how I saw the original two versions. I bought a Series 3 last year sort of on a bet with myself and knew within a couple of days that I was definitely keeping it. It's like the iPhone 4. It's not that everything is perfect and nothing can be improved, but the whole usability/functionality spectrum just came together to make a genuinely useful (for me) tech tool. I bet the sales numbers include a lot of new owners like me.
Yep, bought the series 3 LTE, my first watch of any kind in about 50 years!
Being able to play music and make calls without the phone is very cool, amongst all its other tricks.
Really like it.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Really? I've worn my series 0 stainless steel every single day since launch... and it still works great. Literally wear it _every_ day and use it all day to control my smart house (using Siri), get notifications, view the weather, keep track of my workouts use shared grocery lists, etc.

Sure - it's a little slow... but it always was. I can't really say much has changed over the years.

This is probably the best Apple product I've ever bought as far as return on investment. Much cheaper than an iPhone and it's lasted me 3 years of every day use.

That said: I am planning on upgrading when the next Watch upgrade is announced. Mostly I want to upgrade to get the sweet new speed :)
Same exact boat. Series 0 since shortly after launch. It’s a little slow but no major issues.

The one constant flaw is I have to wait a few minutes after launching workouts for it to become functional (a flaw that only appeared in the last two months or so). That said, I launch it when I get out of my car and by the time my bike is unloaded it’s ready to go.

I’ll be upgrading to the next generation after launch, but I’ve been phenomenally happy with my watch since I got it. Never wore a watch in my life (I don’t like status symbols and that’s all a regular watch is to me, verses the functionality of the Apple Watch) until I bought this.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
This is more of a testament to iPhone sales rather than the Apple watch. If Android Wear and Samsung Gear watches were fully compatible with the iPhone, then Apple watch sales would be a differ story. Every smartwatch is competing with each other, except the Apple watch.

Reactions: lowendlinux

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Apple has no competition when it comes to smartwatches and tablets.
I was actually getting ready to post this very same comment.

I have an iPhone 6S+ issued to me by my employer and I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 for personal use. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 on pre-order.

Like many on this forum I like to experiment with different tech. However, I just do not believe that there is any competition to the Apple Watch or the iPad.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
That makes sense.

Apple Watch design is right. I don't like round smart watches any more. Functionality is finally getting better, still not touching it through. Still shocked at the sticker price, but Tim Cook is good at making the bottom line good, even if the products are weak.

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2003
New Orleans, LA
It's not really a surprise. If you're in the market for a smartwatch and you have an iPhone, there's no real reason to look anywhere else but an Apple Watch, as the experience on any other watch coupled with an iPhone is going to be limiting at best.

I really loved the hell out of my Pebble watch but all it could really do is display my phone notifications.

Reactions: Rhonindk

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Well yeah, same reason the iPad is so dominant. Android can compete on the phone, but it becomes too big of a mess when multiple devices are thrown in. But I still call both this and the iPad niche products. Also can't remember the last time I've seen someone use a tablet, whereas they seemed quite popular a few years ago.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Love my AW3 which I've added an Ionic to more out of curiosity of the competition. Anything that helps me track my health is good as I've been poorly.

mi7chy

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2014
Rarely see them in public except for in the dance studio and usually worn by women. Smart watches now have stand-alone voice and data capability which makes them more useful but they're still not prime until they improve battery life and less bulky.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
I’m holding out for an Apple Watch that can replace an iPhone. I don’t care if it has to be recharged a lot.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Pretty soon, others will start to imitate that and even copy it's aesthetics. I'm glad I waited to skip two generations and pulled the trigger on the AW3. You're absolutely right, it can only get better from here since they are focusing more on the health aspect of the Watch. I have found it very useful in terms of kicking my arse to get up and get active, some people just needs that slight zap from the wrist.
Yes, I believe it can only get better.

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
Zing! It really is an incredible device. I might consider one when they can be completely untethered from the iPhone.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
To be fair, HomePod has a fatal flaw: Siri. I don’t see it taking off until that’s improved.
While thats true it still does the basics fine for music, timers, lights and podcasts commands. Hopefully in time it becomes smarter.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Good job Apple. I must say, the first 2 Apple Watches didn't appeal to me, when the third generation came out I was convinced. The battery life on this device is good and I find the apps on the watch to be very handy. I'm not in need for an Apple Watch 4, same story with the iPhones, I don't need the newest model all the time, but one thing I know for sure, 'if' this watch 3 will last at least a year or four then. I'm willing to buy a new generation Apple Watch 6 or 7....

Reactions: Will.O.Bie

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Rarely see them in public except for in the dance studio and usually worn by women. Smart watches now have stand-alone voice and data capability which makes them more useful but they're still not prime until they improve battery life and less bulky.
In comparison to other watch bands?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.