Apple Watch Outsold All Competing Smartwatches Combined Last Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 1, 2018.

1. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

"Nobody is going to buy a smartphone without a physical keyboard!"

2. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

AW rocks. I love mine. It improved my fitness big time. While I miss my Omega Seamaster a lot, I can't get away from closing those rings. ;)

3. friedmud macrumors 65816

Really? I've worn my series 0 stainless steel every single day since launch... and it still works great. Literally wear it _every_ day and use it all day to control my smart house (using Siri), get notifications, view the weather, keep track of my workouts use shared grocery lists, etc.

Sure - it's a little slow... but it always was. I can't really say much has changed over the years.

This is probably the best Apple product I've ever bought as far as return on investment. Much cheaper than an iPhone and it's lasted me 3 years of every day use.

That said: I am planning on upgrading when the next Watch upgrade is announced. Mostly I want to upgrade to get the sweet new speed :)

4. Baymowe335, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018

Baymowe335 macrumors 601

You see how things don't always play out during the first 2 weeks of a product release? Apple has picked up momentum every single year this Watch has been out. Does this sound familiar, HomePod haters?

Looking forward to similar stories about HomePod as we move along here.

Apple just killing it.

5. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Agree 100%. Apple really needs to rethink the UI and controls in my opinion. Trying to swipe the screen and turn the crown with sweaty hands while working out is not fun. The Gear S3 UI and rotating bezel win on that front big time.

As for the bickering about niche, success, etc. Apple is a smartphone company. The AW is an accessory for their smartphones. Its a niche to them, and it is a niche to the market because it doesn't work with about 85% of the smartphone in the market. If the smartwatch segment really takes off, Apple won't be able to dominate it with a product that doesn't support the vast majority of users. But it is a nice product if you have an iPhone.

6. fourthtunz macrumors 65816

fourthtunz

Yep, bought the series 3 LTE, my first watch of any kind in about 50 years!
    Being able to play music and make calls without the phone is very cool, amongst all its other tricks.
    Really like it.

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Same exact boat. Series 0 since shortly after launch. It’s a little slow but no major issues.

The one constant flaw is I have to wait a few minutes after launching workouts for it to become functional (a flaw that only appeared in the last two months or so). That said, I launch it when I get out of my car and by the time my bike is unloaded it’s ready to go.

I’ll be upgrading to the next generation after launch, but I’ve been phenomenally happy with my watch since I got it. Never wore a watch in my life (I don’t like status symbols and that’s all a regular watch is to me, verses the functionality of the Apple Watch) until I bought this.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

This is more of a testament to iPhone sales rather than the Apple watch. If Android Wear and Samsung Gear watches were fully compatible with the iPhone, then Apple watch sales would be a differ story. Every smartwatch is competing with each other, except the Apple watch.

9. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

I was actually getting ready to post this very same comment.

I have an iPhone 6S+ issued to me by my employer and I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 for personal use. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 on pre-order.

Like many on this forum I like to experiment with different tech. However, I just do not believe that there is any competition to the Apple Watch or the iPad.

10. Soccertess macrumors 65816

That makes sense.

Apple Watch design is right. I don't like round smart watches any more. Functionality is finally getting better, still not touching it through. Still shocked at the sticker price, but Tim Cook is good at making the bottom line good, even if the products are weak.

11. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

I don't own an Apple Watch, and don't plan on buying one. I just wanted everyone to know that.

12. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

It's not really a surprise. If you're in the market for a smartwatch and you have an iPhone, there's no real reason to look anywhere else but an Apple Watch, as the experience on any other watch coupled with an iPhone is going to be limiting at best.

I really loved the hell out of my Pebble watch but all it could really do is display my phone notifications.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Just sold all my AAPL stock. Thanks for the heads up

14. David G. macrumors 65816

That's not how it works.

15. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

Well yeah, same reason the iPad is so dominant. Android can compete on the phone, but it becomes too big of a mess when multiple devices are thrown in. But I still call both this and the iPad niche products. Also can't remember the last time I've seen someone use a tablet, whereas they seemed quite popular a few years ago.

16. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

trolls said it was a flop...ha

love my series 3.

17. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

Consider that the majority of the world still uses MS Windows, even if you only count personal machines.

18. Ffosse macrumors 68000

Love my AW3 which I've added an Ionic to more out of curiosity of the competition. Anything that helps me track my health is good as I've been poorly.

19. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Rarely see them in public except for in the dance studio and usually worn by women. Smart watches now have stand-alone voice and data capability which makes them more useful but they're still not prime until they improve battery life and less bulky.

20. spacebro Suspended

I’m holding out for an Apple Watch that can replace an iPhone. I don’t care if it has to be recharged a lot.

21. Ffosse macrumors 68000

Yes, I believe it can only get better.

22. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

Zing! It really is an incredible device. I might consider one when they can be completely untethered from the iPhone.

23. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

While thats true it still does the basics fine for music, timers, lights and podcasts commands. Hopefully in time it becomes smarter.

24. dragje macrumors 6502a

dragje

Good job Apple. I must say, the first 2 Apple Watches didn't appeal to me, when the third generation came out I was convinced. The battery life on this device is good and I find the apps on the watch to be very handy. I'm not in need for an Apple Watch 4, same story with the iPhones, I don't need the newest model all the time, but one thing I know for sure, 'if' this watch 3 will last at least a year or four then. I'm willing to buy a new generation Apple Watch 6 or 7....

25. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

In comparison to other watch bands?