Apple Watch portable charger comparison

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by geniusbra, Apr 13, 2016.

?

Which charger you like most?

1. Griffin

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Joostcube

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Gigaflash

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. geniusbra macrumors newbie

geniusbra

I have found that quite a lot of chargers for Apple Watch are actually cable management cases. We need to put the Apple Watch magnetic charging cable inside to power up the Apple Watch. I have collected three REAL chargers for Apple Watch in the market. No Apple Watch magnetic charging cable is need.

Griffin - Travel Power Bank

https://griffintechnology.com/us/travel-power-bank-for-apple-watch

[​IMG]

Joostcube

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/joostcube-the-tiny-super-charger-for-apple-watch#/

[​IMG]

Gigaflash - Power One

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...pple_watch_charger-_-9SIAAF93X82259-_-Product

[​IMG]

The chargers come with different sizes and battery capacity. The prices of the chargers are around USD69.

Battery Capacity

Griffin - 1,050mAh
    Joostcube - 1,500mAh
    Gigaflash - 5,000mAh

Form Design

Griffin and Gigaflash are thin; which is nice to put in pocket. Joostcube is in a cube shape.

Features

Griffin - in keychain design. People can attach this charger to the keys.
    Joostcube - tiny. Comes with 8 colours.
    Gigaflash - apart from Apple Watch, it can charge the phone and tablet as well.

Personally, I feel the Gigaflash one is more convenient because I could take one charger only for my Apple Watch and mobile devices. However, I would love to have the design of Griffin, small and hangable. And I am addicted to the rich colour of the Joostcube. I love the pink one!:p

2. cduff macrumors member

cduff

I like the Griffin one - even though it has the smallest mAh spec, it looks to be the only one that's truly portable.

Plus, I like that it has a key ring on it, it'll always be with you if you need it.

3. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Liked the look of the Joostcube until I read the comments page.

4. SilverDove macrumors newbie

Just ordered the Gigaflash. Hope it works as advertised.

5. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

Same here!

6. josemah Suspended

josemah

Some negative comments you found?

7. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

8. geniusbra thread starter macrumors newbie

geniusbra

same here!
    44.9 on Newegg. worth to try. hope it works :)

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Good thread. Thanks for putting it together.

The griffin and the gigaflash look good but do they work in nightstand mode? That's important for travel since I know no one brave (or foolish) enough to rely on a hotel's in-room alarm clock.

Pity Apple didn't put a rechargeable battery in their charging dock. There's plenty of room for a battery. It would be the perfect travel solution. Especially since it would recharge with the same Lightning cable you'd already have with you.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

It's still an Indiagogo project. No feedback because they're still working on it. Judging by all the other tech projects on there and Kickstarter, it may not be available for another 6-12 months.

11. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

OK.

12. SilverDove, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016

SilverDove macrumors newbie

I don't think the gigaflash is meant to work in nightstand mode, but you can probably prop it up against that useless hotel clock and it may work. I was not concerned about nightstand when purchasing because most of my travel is for pleasure and an "alarm clock" is the last feature I'm looking for.

13. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

Gigaflash was just delivered, it charges the apple watch perfectly! Nice size too, it will be great to keep in my purse for emergencies ;)

14. geniusbra thread starter macrumors newbie

geniusbra

Got the Gigaflash as well!

I create a night mode system by the case along with the Gigaflash :D

power one 3.jpg

The Gigaflash is thin like my Apple Watch. The size is just fit to put in my iPad Pro bag!

power one 1.jpg

However, I do not like the screws.... looks a bit ugly :(

power one 2.jpg

15. Arran, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Clever. But will it hold the weight of an Edition? :p

Joking aside, I like the USB ports for charging other things. Versatile. I like to pack light.

16. SilverDove, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016

SilverDove macrumors newbie

I got mine last night. The big surprise was that it came with a carrying case with foam padding. Now I have place to put my bands when I travel. It also will charge an iPad. So far it is my favorite portable battery pack.

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

It makes yesterday's "empty sunglasses case with a hole in it" seem a tad overpriced at $50 itself:

http://www.macrumors.com/review/twelve-south-timeporter-for-apple-watch/

18. geniusbra thread starter macrumors newbie

geniusbra

Just tried my dad 42mm steel version. well, it fell. :D

19. josemah Suspended

josemah

hey guys, trying to find a portable charger for my Apple Watch, gonna use it frequently when travelling around.

Did some researches on web and got several brands that produce and sell Apple Watch charger.

Nomad - Pod for Apple Watch

http://www.amazon.com/Nomad-Apple-Watch-Space-Grey/dp/B0145UU6OA

$59.95

Griffin - Travel Power Bank

https://griffintechnology.com/us/travel-power-bank-for-apple-watch

$69.99

Gigaflash - Power One Apple Watch portable charger

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...pple_watch_charger-_-9SIAAF93X82259-_-Product

$44.9

Love the Griffin one, mini, easy portable, i can hang it like a key ring on my backpack. '
    Unfortunately its not available at the moment, what a pity!

The Nomad one in black colour is cool, but i guess an extra charging cable is needed since tits not built in. I might have to buy a new charging cable that cost me another $30

While comparing the prices, Gigaflash Power One seems to be a good deal, a great bargain? Guess i can even use it to charge my iPhone and iPad, like what it said, an all in one charger. Just the white colour is not my cup of tea.

Likely i will buy the Gigaflash one, any comments or other suggestions for me please?

20. Simche macrumors member

Simche

I would recommend Amber, it literally looks like Apple Watch box but with built-in charging capability :D Comes in 4 colors (Silver, Spacegray, Gold & Rose Gold), can charge other device at the same time & has beautiful glass/chamfered edge design on the top.

I have the Silver/white myself and am very happy with it.

Have one myself and truly recommend it, have a look: http://cleargrass.com/amber/

21. josemah Suspended

josemah

Seems pretty cool, but same as Nomad, an extra cable is needed from my understanding?

$69 for Amber, a bit more expensive than Nomad, better outlook though. Don't forget an extra $30 for another charging cable :(

22. Simche macrumors member

Simche

Yes, forgot to tell that a chartging cable must be bought seperately :/ But for my part it was worth it, it looks stylish and I'm sure it would cost way more at the Apple Stores... I just wanted to share what I have myself :)

23. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

Someone posted about this the other day and I bought the gigaflash. I really like it so far, it doesn't have a huge amount of power but enough to give your watch and phone a good charge. It's really light and convenient too.

24. josemah Suspended

josemah