Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Watch Pricing to Reportedly Start at $500 for Stainless Steel, $4,000 for Gold

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

French Apple website iGen.fr is reporting [Google Translate] that pricing for the stainless steel Apple Watch may start at $500, while the gold Apple Watches' pricing could start between $4,000 and $5,000. iGen.fr has been reliable in the past, most recently reporting the dimensions of both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

While Apple had announced that the Apple Watch would start at $350, which was widely assumed to be the price of the aluminum model, and estimates pegged the price of the gold Apple Watch at prices as low as $1,000 or as high as $5,000, there has been little information regarding the pricing of the stainless steel option.

The site's sources also indicate that Apple still aims to release the Apple Watch by Valentine's Day 2015, which somewhat echoes an earlier report that said the company would be "lucky" to release the device by that timeframe. iGen.fr also mentions that manufacturers and resellers are preparing as if the Watch would release in mid-February 2015. Previously, Apple Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores Angela Ahrendts said the Watch would release in Spring 2015.

Article Link: Apple Watch Pricing to Reportedly Start at $500 for Stainless Steel, $4,000 for Gold

sputnikv

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2009
Well, there's certainly a market for it. I'll be more interested in the sport version so as long as that's affordable, I'm happy.

Comment

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I'm gonna go cheap sport version for the first model. When they make it thinner and more powerful in a couple years, I'll go balls out and get the stainless. I don't really have interest in the gold even though it would match my iPhone especially for that price.

Comment

forcesteeler

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
$5,000 Dollars? I Rather buy a Rolex. I can feel confident my Rolex will hold value in say the next 5-10 years,

Comment

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Do all stainless steel models automatically come with the sapphire glass ?

I wonder how far apart the pricing between the 38mm and 42mm models in each tier will be.

Comment

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
I have a Tag watch I bought 5-6 years ago for around $2500. If I sold it, I could probably get roughly $1500 for it now as its in near mint condition. An Apple watch with a degenerating battery that will be obsolete within 2 years will lose 95% of its value in 5 years.

I seriously don't understand the purpose of the Apple Watch...and I've owned 6 Macs, 4 Apple TVs, 7 iPhones, 5 iPods and 5 iPads.

Comment

bmauter

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
That 4 grand is up there!
Then it's not for you. (It's not for me either.)

Don't gold Rolexes start around $20k? The gold WATCH will be one of those on-a-whim purchases for folks with a Rolex or two already.

An Apple watch with a degenerating battery that will be obsolete within 2 years will lose 95% of its value in 5 years.
That's why it's only $4k. ;)

Comment

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Ehhh ... Sticking to my Tag

same here

I love Tag watches.

----------

Then it's not for you. (It's not for me either.)

Don't gold Rolexes start around $20k? The gold WATCH will be one of those on-a-whim purchases for folks with a Rolex or two already.

The Rolex watch buyer knows his watch will maintain its value for decades. There something "timeless" about luxury watches. They don't go obsolete.

Smart watches will look dated in a couple of years.

Comment

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Still higher than I thought it would be but that said if you've been past a high end jewelers $4k is nothing compared to some high end watches.

I might be interested in the base model if I can find a need to get one. And thats the hardest thing, there is a generations who have never worn a wrist watch, will they now buy into the smart watch trend with Apple on board?

Comment

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Stainless price sounds right. Still don't see the rationale behind gold, as typically gold watches are heirloom type pieces, and an Apple watch will be obsolete very quickly. But i imagine they don't expect it to be a big seller. Maybe just an aspirational flagship.

Comment

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
same here

I love Tag watches.

----------

The Rolex watch buyer knows his watch will maintain its value for decades. There something "timeless" about luxury watches. They don't go obsolete.

Smart watches will look dated in a couple of years.

Which tag do you have?

I think Smart watches will go the route of iPhones - requires change every 1-2 years to keep up with the internals and OS requirements.

Comment

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
$5,000 Dollars? I Rather buy a Rolex. I can feel confident my Rolex will hold value in say the next 5-10 years,

A solid gold Rolex for $5000? In what dream world do you live where they're that cheap new?

And there's a reason for that. That much gold is. not. cheap. A $4000 gold Apple watch isn't something I'd ever be interested in, but the reality is if they managed to drive the price that low it'd be unheard of in the luxury watch industry.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.