Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jal217

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
I just filled out a repair request form online for my Apple Watch. (Sounds like the Taptic Engine is going and no resets or fresh set ups would fix it). Any idea what to expect as far as time without my watch? Any experience?

Also I'm hoping they replace it because it's so audible that people around me can hear it and notice whenever I have a notification. I have it on mute, the lowest haptic feedback setting, etc etc. Any idea if they'll tell me to screw off or actually fix it?

Thanks!

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
It depends on Apple. Since you filled the request online, I'm assuming you'll be shipping to Apple. If so I would place it between 1-2 weeks. If you went to Apple Store, could either be couple of days, hours or fresh new out the box

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
if you have apple care you can request express service. they cross ship apple watch replacements, meaning you do not need to go to an apple store at all. they just put a deposit on your credit card, send you a replacement. if you do not send them your old watch back they charge you for it

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I just filled out a repair request form online for my Apple Watch. (Sounds like the Taptic Engine is going and no resets or fresh set ups would fix it). Any idea what to expect as far as time without my watch? Any experience?

Also I'm hoping they replace it because it's so audible that people around me can hear it and notice whenever I have a notification. I have it on mute, the lowest haptic feedback setting, etc etc. Any idea if they'll tell me to screw off or actually fix it?

Thanks!
As someone else stated you can get express replacement from Apple Care. They will send you a new one without a band and when you ship the old one back they will take the hold off your credit card.

But I have to ask why do you think there's something wrong when you say the alerts are very audible? I have noticed that since the last software update my alerts, especially for text messages, are louder. That one for messages actually echoes for a second or so, very noticeable. I haven't tried reducing it because I like it that way but it's a definite change from the prior software. I have the 42 steel and my wife has the 38 and it's changed on hers as well. She mutes the watch so that she only gets the vibration but I like to get the full "experience".

Reactions: ladytonya

Jal217

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
As someone else stated you can get express replacement from Apple Care. They will send you a new one without a band and when you ship the old one back they will take the hold off your credit card.

But I have to ask why do you think there's something wrong when you say the alerts are very audible? I have noticed that since the last software update my alerts, especially for text messages, are louder. That one for messages actually echoes for a second or so, very noticeable. I haven't tried reducing it because I like it that way but it's a definite change from the prior software. I have the 42 steel and my wife has the 38 and it's changed on hers as well. She mutes the watch so that she only gets the vibration but I like to get the full "experience".
I don't have apple care on my watch they are going to see if they can replace it under warranty. For that you need to send it in to them and they took a look before sending a replacement. They overnighted me the box and I sent it in this morning.

As far as the sound goes mine is on mute like your wife's. I haven't had the thing make a peep from the speaker while I'm wearing it. I like it that way. However, the Taptic Engine is rattling inside so everyone can hear it. It kind of defeats the purpose for me. I want a silent tap on the wrist and mine doesn't do that anymore sadly :/ just a loud motor vibration that literally has people look over at me when it's quiet in the room. Hopefully they agree! Crossing my fingers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.