Apple Watch Sales Grew to 6.8 Million Units in Q3 2019, up 51% From Last Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple shipped an estimated 6.8 million smartwatches in the third quarter of 2019, according to research firm Strategy Analytics.

Apple doesn't disclose Apple Watch sales in its earnings reports, grouping the wrist-worn device under its "Other Products" category, so we have do go from estimated figures, which can vary between research firms.

If Strategy Analytics' figures are accurate, Apple Watch shipments are up 51 percent compared to the third quarter of last year.
Apple shipped 6.8 million smartwatches worldwide in Q3 2019, rising an above-average 51 percent from 4.5 million in Q3 2018. Apple Watch remains a long way ahead of the chasing pack and its global smartwatch marketshare has grown from 45 percent to 48 percent in the past year. Apple Watch continues to fend off strong competition from hungry rivals like Fitbit and Samsung. Apple Watch owns half the worldwide smartwatch market and remains the clear industry leader.

The figures suggest Apple's closest wearables rival remains Samsung, which shipped 1.9 million smartwatches in Q3 and took 13.4 percent of the global market share. Fitbit, which was recently acquired by Google, dropped to third place, losing just under 4 percent of its market share (11.3 percent).

According to the report, the global smartwatch market grew considerably, with shipments reaching 14 million units in total, up 42 percent year on year. Notably, Apple Watch growth outpaced overall market growth, indicating that Apple is eating an increasingly bigger slice of the burgeoning wearables sector.

Article Link: Apple Watch Sales Grew to 6.8 Million Units in Q3 2019, up 51% From Last Year

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Apple really got my money with the Watch. For me, it only serves as a remote to run music for the AirPods and to display alerts for email, text, and calls. Oh yeah, I occasionally glance at it for the time, but not often.

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
My Series 5 is one of my favorite Apple products. Even with workouts and always on display turned on, I still finish the day at 50% or more and that’s taking my watch off at 5am and placing on the charger around 8:30-9pm. Granted, I have the 44mm without cellular so I imagine the non-cellular models may get better battery life?

Reactions: jeffirl

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple will very likely dominate the wearables market the same way it dominated music players, but on a much larger scale. Other companies can try to compete, but I doubt engineering-led companies can even identify the factors critical for success in wearables.

I mean, Apple is now a trillion-dollar company, and I can count the number of times I see design being acknowledged as the main reason for success in one hand.

Nor will most tech companies have the culture necessary to make wearables work (they need to be willing to give power to designers at the expense of engineering).

Basically, the irony here is that everything the critics claimed would doom Apple has been instrumental to making the Apple Watch as successful as it has.

I look forward to the day when there is no longer a smartwatch market, only the Apple Watch market. First pebble, now Fitbit, maybe the Swiss watch industry next, perhaps the smartwatch and even tablet market in the future? By the time the Apple watch’s strategic advantage becomes clear, it will be too late for companies to catch up.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2014
Sunnyvale
I was massively skeptical about the AW when it was first released but they definitely improved it over the years and I can’t imagine not having my series 4. It really is a brilliant device and turns exercise into a game rather than a chore.
Likewise. Wouldn't be without mine. The fitness tracking is addictive (good). it's a remote control for my Apple TV. I can use it to check the fuel level and remaining range in my car. I can even use it to start the engine in cold weather prior to leaving the house. It's also proper Star Trek controlling smart-lighting and central-heating from a wrist-mounted personal computer 😎

On top of all that utility (and more), it's also a great way to filter notifications and keep me away from my phone. Love it 😍

deckard666

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
I know its so fashionable here to bash Apple but well done them and well done for ignoring the critics on its non-round face which I note still hasn't changed and has become iconic. It will be interesting to see if the new always-on display tech moves over to the new iPhone...

Reactions: GuruZac and subi257

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Why would anyone look forward to that?
Because when that day does come, it will mean that the Apple Watch has gone from simply being an iPhone accessory to being its own independent wearable computer capable of serving as an alternative to smartphones (perhaps when used in tandem with Apple glasses)?

Leaving the rest of the competition behind in the dust.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2014
Sunnyvale
Because when that day does come, it will mean that the Apple Watch has gone from simply being an iPhone accessory to being its own independent wearable computer capable of serving as an alternative to smartphones (perhaps when used in tandem with Apple glasses)?

Waiting for Samsung to make a foldable watch that opens out into a phone, and then into a tablet :rolleyes:

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Definitely a great tool - I went from 0 to 3 to 5 (cellular). Love everything from remote (for AirPods or Bose Headphones or HomePods or our bedroom stereo (via AirPlay 2)) to weather to walking app to health for swimming or biking.
Always on display for the 5 is a big deal. Still using the link bracelet I got from the original 0 - I have always worn the equivalent with my regular watches, but the Apple version is by far the best.
And finally: Apple Pay!!! So long as I have my Apple Watch on, (which is always) my wallet can stay home. Every local supermarket or store we go to takes Apple Pay.
In NYC the percentage of people with Apple Watches is really impressive.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Well... they got us.
Started with iphone, then MacBook, then Ipad, then watch... both of us now on 2nd watch - both on S4.

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2019
I look forward to the day when there is no longer a smartwatch market, only the Apple Watch market. First pebble, now Fitbit, maybe the Swiss watch industry next, perhaps the smartwatch and even tablet market in the future? By the time the Apple watch’s strategic advantage becomes clear, it will be too late for companies to catch up.
You look forward to the days of no competition, which will lead to higher prices and super slow innovation!!!

Good call!!!!

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The year-over-year growth really tells the story. It’s one thing to say Fitbit lost 4% of their market share (actually 4 percentage points, about 25% of their market share). But that’s against a 42% growth in units sold, from 10 million to 14.2 million.

Of those 4.2 million additional units sold in 3Q19 over 3Q18, Fitbit picked up 100,000 of them, while Apple grabbed 2.3 million. A few more years of that and Fitbit is basically dead.

I really don’t see how this ends well; how can Google even compete without a decent CPU/SoC?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016

This is probably the direction the watch is headed. It’s the one product from Apple that actually has the most potential to lead the future in health advancements and will somehow correlate to the AR Glasses that will will eventually be here. Some people can’t open their minds yet to the possibilities with the watch, but it will be far more than just a ‘notification’ device on your wrist. Awesome times to see where technology is leading.

Oh, and as far competition is concerned, well, we saw what happened to Fitbit.😁

GalileoSeven

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2015
I can see myself getting one in the next year or two. Would be nice for Apple to come out with a native sleep tracking app, but it's all good (is a comparatively minor quibble)

Reactions: subi257

azentropy

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I've had a AW Series 0 that was replaced with a Series 1 when the battery swelled by Apple for free and now have a Series 4. I find it a really good fitness/workout tool and notification device but other than that I'm been disappointed in it. I haven't found any intriguing apps that were worth the increased battery usage, Siri still frustrates the heck out of me and even when I finally found a good use and created some Shortcuts that were useful and I could activate from my Watch - they broke that functionality for months (just recently fixed in 13.2).

Reactions: FlyBry

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
UK
I just don't get the Apple Watch. My wife has one and she likes it for fitness stuff and notifications, but I just don't see the point. My phone is either in my pocket, a mere second or two away from being seen at any time, or when I'm at work it's on my desk in view at all times.

Maybe if it wasn't so ugly I might find it more attractive simply as an object, but to my eyes it's a fat, bloated, ugly rectangle devoid of class or design. Compared to a real watch, say a Tag Heuer for example it's like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford.
- - Post merged: - -

You look forward to the days of no competition, which will lead to higher prices and super slow innovation!!!

Good call!!!!
Well said. Monopolies help no-one, not even the company which dominates the market.

Reactions: mrex and PC_tech

Bin Cook

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2018
I do like my watch but I’m reconsidering being so dependant on it having seen the trade in values and realising just how overpriced they are.

lots of people have seen it on my wrist and asked and I’ve extolled the virtues but they all baulk at the price.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
UK
I love my watch. Went from series 0 to series 4 and can’t live without it.
I'm curious why you feel this way. For me my phone does everything I need whilst I'm out of the house. Isn't the watch just a phone with a tiny screen, no keyboard, and few apps? What am I missing?

Reactions: GalileoSeven