Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeHiler2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
Dahlonega, GA
Good Afternoon everyone!

Yesterday evening I finally got around to updating my new Apple Watch Series 3 to WatchOS 5.0. It offered some great new features (really made me wish to wait on getting an Apple Watch until the new came out), even for the last gen edition. So why not, right?

Within my short three months with the Apple Watch I have tried many different settings over the days to see just what the Watch can do and how long I can make the battery last. Proud to say that after turning off a few features (mainly just Background App Refresh and Wake to Rise among a few others) I have been able to stretch the Apple Watch's battery life to three full days! I was able to get it to four days a few times, but three days was the minimum and the standard. Everything worked great for me. Even with heavy use (such as constantly checking my heart rate several times a day, that stupid "ring" thing, and changing songs on my iPhone a lot using the Watch), I can still get three solid days out of it with room to spare!

And then I updated the Watch. Before, I had to tap the screen in order to see the Watch, which worked perfectly for me, mainly because I drive a manual shift pick-up and I don't the Watch to be constantly on while I drive. Now, the Watch is CONSTANTLY turning on and staying on no matter what I do. I had many settings turned on the Watch before the update (just the Wake on Rise feature and a few Background App Refresh was disabled), even the constant heart monitor feature, email, phone calls, messages, the works was still running in the background. All that, and was still getting three full days of battery with more to spare. Now, after waking up this morning after fully charging the Watch last night (right after the update), with it currently being 12:48 PM, my Watch is sitting at 43%. I wont make it the whole day.

It's at 43%, with EVERYTHING turned off. I mean everything. Every single App has been disabled, all Notifications have been disabled, Wake on Rise is still disabled along with everything else (except tapping the screen), along with just about every other setting available has all been turned off! Normally at this time I would be sitting at somewhere around 93% battery, and that's with almost everything turned on!

So my main question that I want to ask is if there is some way to downgrade the WatchOS? 5.0 is broken for me. It offers many new and great features, yet none of them matter to me because I had to turn everything off because I went from three days of battery with all the old features turned on to having to turn absolutely EVERYTHING off and I MIGHT get a full day out of the battery. If I'm lucky. I don't know, as it's just now barely half a day and it's already less than half empty.

Any help??

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Give it a day after the update to settle. Major OS updates have a lot of background stuff happening including caching. Do a soft reset of the Watch as well press and hold both buttons until it reboots. Your next full charge you should see a difference in performance.

MikeHiler2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
Dahlonega, GA
Give it a day after the update to settle. Major OS updates have a lot of background stuff happening including caching. Do a soft reset of the Watch as well press and hold both buttons until it reboots. Your next full charge you should see a difference in performance.
Very well. I will wait as suggested (already did the soft reboot). I’ll update this tomorrow or possibly the next day. Thanks for the reply.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
I've got 95% life left at almost 4:00 in the afternoon. Granted I haven't gone for a run yet today and I took the watch off the charger around 9:45am.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
same thing happened to me Watch OS 5 was killing the battery, after a few days everything calmed down and went back to normal.

MikeHiler2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
Dahlonega, GA
Interesting. I’m not entirely sure what would cause that, as it’s a software update (firmware), not a hardware update. Unless the software is reallocating what the current hardware is supposed to do, but that should take a manner of seconds to maybe an hour. Not 3-4 days. Perhaps the code is also being downloaded through the Watch over cellular? But that doesn’t make sense either since you need to download the firmware update on the iPhone, then it connects to the Watch.

Last edited:

MikeHiler2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
Dahlonega, GA
Ok, low and behold, it’s now 7:10 PM, and my Watch is at 91% after being removed and worn at 5:44 AM. Now I can slowly start to turn things back on. Crossing fingers time meow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.