'Apple Watch Series 3' Models Expected in Second Half of 2017 With September Launch Likely

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2017.

1. DoctorDoctor Suspended

Why do people like you have to chime in on something you are obviously not interested in. Can't you just pass up the article and move on with your life ?

2. paulryp macrumors regular

All i want is a Front facing Camera so I can video call from my wrist. So close to realising my childhood fantasy don't fail me apple.

3. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

4. DoctorDoctor Suspended

I am sure you would not have to activate the cellular service if you didn't want to and the watch would still work. But if that is the only new feature then of course it would be pointless to buy it if you didn't plan on using the LTE feature.

5. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I've come to the conclusion the watch is a hobby for Apple.

6. big-ted macrumors regular

big-ted

"but a separate data plan from a carrier would likely be needed."

Already have a carrier for my phone, another data plan for my iPad, won't be getting yet another plan for my watch
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2017 ---
    That will be for the series 4, Apple won't release everything at once

7. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Hmm, I'm still not entirely sure whether or not Steve would've allowed this…

8. barkomatic macrumors 601

Exactly! That would be the only reason I would buy one.

9. DoctorDoctor Suspended

Just wait until the iPhone 7s/7s Plus comes out along side the iPhone X/Edition/Pro/8. Do I buy last years iPhone 7s or this years iPhone 8 ? Wait, no. Do I buy this years iPhone 7s or next years iPhone 8. Wait, no. Never mind. I'll get a Pixel.

10. profets macrumors 601

Out of all of Apple's products, I think the Watch lineup is the nicest. Series 1 and Series 2. Main differentiator being GPS+swimproof. I quite like that the main internals (CPU/speed) are the same.

Honestly, I'd guess that if they do have a cellular version coming this fall, it'll likely replace the GPS version and still have 2 'Series' available. Kind of like iPads - wifi and wifi+cellular.

I fully agree. I can see how the watch is tightly integrated with the iPhone development, but spring would be such a good time of the year for updated Watch and to help stagger these products.

I think for the watch it'll be pretty obvious that it'll get its own virtual SIM. Kind of like the iPad Pro 9.7" has (in addition to the physical SIM you can insert). I bet with time we'll see this come to iPhone as well and Apple will slowly work with carriers to support this virtual SIM.

Do you really think they'd force you to buy cellular data? They don't if you purchase an unlocked iPhone or an iPad of any sort. Just like on an iPad, if the GPS+Cellular Watch (if one is made) I'm sure you could turn off cellular data.

And yeah - pretty crazy that the Series 2 launched in September, and 3-4 months later it was still hard to find one in store. Looks like they've finally caught up though, 6 months later (possibly half way into its sales cycle?)

What obsession? It being spoken about as a possible OPTIONAL feature in a future watch is an obsession? If a future watch has cellular no one will be forcing you to use it.

LOL garbage battery life? Do you even use the Watch? The series 2 got a significant improvement. I wear mine for upwards of 15-16 hours in a day, and including a workout (one that could be outdoor without a phone so the watch is using GPS + HR) the battery is always above 50% when I go to sleep.

And even if the Watch does have cellular. Do you think it's going to stay connected to cellular even when it is in proximity of wifi or the iPhone? Apple goes crazy with trying to make power consumption as efficient as possible and extend battery life whenever they can. It would stupid to think they're going to let it sit and drain the battery from LTE when it doesn't always have to rely on it. Just like GPS on the current watch, it only uses it when it's needed.

And again, no one will force you to A)buy a cellular watch, nor B)pay for cellular data if you have cellular watch but don't want data.

The whining on MR sometimes.. truly baffling.

11. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

never felt a need to upgrade my my launch model and still really don't. No need for LTE on my watch.

12. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

not too terribly interested in a cellular connection with my watch, no i don't want to spend more money on a plan.

13. profets macrumors 601

A hobby that 2 years in potentially has 1/5th the user base of the Mac.

14. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

Last I checked this is a forum when you can whine....arent forums about opinions? Or is it wrong because you don't agree with them?

15. profets macrumors 601

Really? Come the fall, if the lineup is iPhone SE, iPhone 7s, iPhone 7s Plus and iPhone 'X', all with distinct price points, you think that will make it confusing for buyers? I mean, the only difference will be this possibly iPhone 'X' at the high end, up until now, SE, 7 and 7 Plus doesn't seem to make the purchase that difficult.

Yeah, lol, they'll go for a Pixel instead. Choosing between all the Android phones out there is surely a clearer process.

16. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

Bigger and more sensors or I'll skip next one too.

17. NightStorm macrumors 68000

My thoughts exactly... they have been getting better, but I also have high expectations for this in their third generation offering.

18. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Why? Man normally wear huge sized watches that make the AW 42mm look like a ladies watch!

19. truthertech macrumors 68000

How is it any different than the evolution of the iPhone? Each generation has improvements and Apple will drop the oldest, leaving generally two or three models to choose from.

20. profets macrumors 601

People can have opinions, that's fine. But they can be had in a logical manner, and thought out objectively. But somehow they end up sounding irrational and extremely whiney.

21. cfc macrumors 6502a

cfc

It depends on just how power hungry "Always On" would be. If it reduces battery life by anything up to 50% then I would live with it. The current watch lasts me well over a day, so I'd be happy to live with half that for always on.

If Apple made it an option then users can choose according to what suits them. And maybe include an auto-switch off option when battery power gets less than a certain level.

A compromise of just showing the time at a low brightness would also be handy if full always on is too power hungry.

If full always on is a feature of the next watch then I'd expect that we would find out at WWDC, because there are bound to be implications for developers.

22. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

It just kills me that another Watch will come out before an iMac or Mac Pro.

23. truthertech macrumors 68000

That's the problem in the peanut gallery. One group pounds Apple for not announcing and introducing products fast enough and waiting until mass production is ready and underway, and the other group complains when they announce them but don't have the products immediately available in every configuration and color for the tens, and in some cases, hundreds, of millions of people around the world.

24. cliffster82 macrumors 6502

Again?? Loving the Nike Series 2. Secretly hoping this is a minor spec update so us Series 2 owners can hold off. No LTE for me, I'm good as is.

25. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

T-Mobile DIGITS Beta, if you can get in. I use it (2nd device is Moto G5+). It's currently free and pretty awesome.

Can use the cloned line on a watch or OBD-II car device.