Apple Watch Series 3 Nike+ Cellular Pre-Order Thread

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iThink Apple, Sep 15, 2017.

1. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Over the last year, I've lost close to 50 lbs. I attribute most of that to my Apple watch and all the fitness tracking.

2. AbsynthMinded, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

AbsynthMinded macrumors member

Ordered a Space Gray LTE version, moving from SS S0 to aluminum casing. I went with Nike because I liked one of the watch faces and enjoy the lighter weight/feel of an aluminum watch, basically its not like you are even wearing one. It says October 5th delivery date as of now, pretty excited. I don't mind when it comes but sooner is always nicer!

That's fantastic and I hope you continue to have future successes.

I don't frequent the apple watch forums much but is there a thread where people have talked about similar scenarios, like how it has either improved their quality of life and/or helped lead more healthy lifestyle?

3. KevinMac macrumors regular

KevinMac

Preordered space gray 42 mm GPS through Best Buy.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You don’t see yourself streaming music? That’s basically the reason I want this thing. I won’t have to take my phone on a run.

Curious if emergency calls still work without a plan active. If they do, as they should, it’s also worth the money IMO

5. AbsynthMinded macrumors member

I am no expert, but with an esim that supports calls you should be able to dial 911 without activated service. Of course the call would only go through once you are within range of some cell tower or WiFi. I am not sure if the watch has the same signal strength as a cell phone.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I imagine it would have to (have the same signal generally) for it to even be a worthwhile addition? I can’t fathom paying an additional $10 a month for notably worse reception.

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

This is a great thread with some fun conversations going on. I am a Series 0 owner that did not plan on ordering a Series 3 right away, but I randomly woke up 2 minutes before pre-orders began and figured it was a sign. Used the Apple Store app on my iPhone to order a Space Gray Nike+ Cellular.

Over the last few days, I’ve been giving heavy consideration to cancelling the order because I am not happy about how the cell carriers in the US are overcharging with a $10 monthly fee. However, I’ve settled down a little bit and will probably keep the watch now. (to be determined)

Aside from that, I’m really looking forward to (hopefully having) vastly increased performance and seeing how well the Series 3 does on run accuracy and battery life. I have taken a couple of years off from running, but was doing ultras a few years ago so when I get going again, I know I’ll be putting in quite a bit of run time with the Watch. I’m looking forward to seeing what it can do and it will be nice to have connectivity without carrying a phone.

As for why I got the Nike version...why not! I’ll appreciate the lighter breathable band. I do wish it was arriving sooner though. I will be gone from Sep 29 to Oct 18, so it looks like I will have to wait awhile to put it on my wrist.

Cheers everyone and I’m looking forward to reading more in this thread!

8. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I ordered a Series 3 Nike+ 42mm Silver LTE with Platinum band at 9:00am 9/15 and have a delivery window starting 10/13. Upgrading from Series 0 SS ordered on launch day. Can't wait!

9. KevinMac macrumors regular

KevinMac

Exciting!!

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

If you can now buy the bands separately, why does anyone need the Nike version?

11. pedregosa macrumors member

Because you save $50, or whatever the band costs on its own, if you get it with the watch.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

... and some folks like the Nike watch faces.

So if you want the Nike+ faces and the Nike+ band (don't care about branding, it's a great band for hot weather running), and it costs the same as the non-Nike version, why wouldn't you buy it?

13. AbsynthMinded, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

AbsynthMinded macrumors member

Just to add on, I don't know if the Nike bands that are being sold separately include the crimson red or the black/pure platinum sports loop. I wasn't a fan of the black sports loop (the one with the multicolored dots) or the dark olive (since it wasn't actually black), so I wanted the only pure black sports loop available.

14. littlesolja0925 macrumors newbie

this will be my first AW as it will replace my Fitbit Flex (1st generation). Since I jog around 10-15km daily; I always want something to track my heart rate from time to time. I really like the sport band from Nike version so I don't mind the wait. I cannot wait to wear it soon! :)

15. jwlbel macrumors regular

Congratulations, I know how hard it can be!!! I have also lost almost 70 pounds due to wearing the Apple Watch.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2017 ---
    Because the Nike band is $50

16. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Really? You sure you ordered a Nike Edition?

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Fantastic! We need to do a promo for Tim Cook. ;)

18. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

Just ordered 42mm black sport loop. A little over a month out.

19. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

Ordered the black Nike+ 42mm. This will be my upgrade to Series 2 of exactly the same watch. I will sell man 'old' one :)

20. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

Well, just cancelled my sport loop order. Didn't realize it was velcro based. Thought it was magnetic (like the leather straps and Milanese loop). I feel that the velcro won't maintain its ability to hold over the long term (especially when working out).

21. AbsynthMinded macrumors member

Velcro lasts a lot longer (years not months) than people give it credit for. I would personally want velcro closure over a magnet closure for the sports model. Typically magnets aren't affected significantly by normal scenarios of increased temperature (sitting in a hot car, body heat, increased skin temp from being outdoors, etc.) but we are talking larger magnets. However, smaller magnets, like ones found in the milanese loops, could lose their out-of-the-box strength in those instances. All IIRC, could be mistaken.

22. python0704 macrumors regular

python0704

My concern would be velcro isn't as easily adjusted as magnets, I often slide the magnets to loose the milanese a little bit, but velcro requires a little more effort.

23. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

24. MisterAndrew macrumors 6502

MisterAndrew

I was going to go with the pure platinum/black sport band, but I read a review that said the sport loop is more comfortable, so I went with the crimson sport loop, 42mm. Delivery is Oct 23-27, but that's okay. I'm not sure if I'll use the cellular feature, but it has 16GB capacity rather than 8GB for the non-cellular version so that's a plus. I also made sure I got the silver rather than space grey since I don't think it'll show scratches as easily.

25. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

I still have the leather band from the original S0 and it holds perfectly well and is very adjustable. I’ve even worn it on runs and it holds just fine (though the leather looks pretty beat up due to constant sweat/water).