Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today filed six new Apple Watch model numbers with the Eurasian Economic Commission, including A1977, A1978, A1975, A1976, A2007, and A2008, according to French blog Consomac. All of the models run watchOS 5.

apple-watch-series-4-concept-800x489.jpeg
Apple Watch Series 4 mockup via Ben Geskin

The filings are legally required for any encrypted devices sold in Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Russia.

These model numbers likely correspond with the widely rumored Apple Watch Series 4 lineup, expected to be unveiled at an Apple Event in September alongside a trio of new iPhone models, new AirPods, and more.

In the past, similar filings with the Eurasian Economic Commission have been submitted for the lower-cost 9.7-inch iPad, 10.5-inch iPad Pro and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, Apple Watch Series 2, AirPods, and 2018 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, usually within one to two weeks before each product was released.

At this point, it was already pretty obvious that Series 4 models are coming next month, but the filings eliminate any remaining doubt.

The only unique aspect of this year's filings are that there are currently only six unreleased Apple Watch Series 4 model numbers, whereas the Series 3 lineup has eight model numbers: two aluminum GPS-only models, and six LTE models, including aluminum, stainless steel, and ceramic variants in two sizes.

Naturally, this has led to some speculation that there might not be ceramic Series 4 models, but there are many possibilities.

Earlier this year, well-connected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple Watch Series 4 models will feature 15 percent larger displays, longer battery life, and improved health monitoring capabilities.

If past is predicate for the future, Apple will likely hold its next event on Wednesday, September 12, with invites to the media going out in the last few days of August. MacRumors will provide live coverage as usual.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 4 Models Filed in Eurasian Database Ahead of September Launch

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I won a series 3 at work the other day. I have yet to open the box.

Maybe I should sell it and wait for the latest one. Not really a fan wearables anyways though so not sure what to do.

If you’re not interested in keeping it, I would sell it now, as you would still likely accrue more of a profit, because once the Series 4 is announced Assumingly, the Series 3 will drop in price and the market will be saturated with those wanting to sell their watches wanting to upgrade. But being your watch is new, that also helps.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Why not just fill the entire screen right up to the aluminium/steel edges? I don’t care for this bezeless craze with phones but I don’t see why the Watch needs any bezel there at all when you rarely need to hold onto them like you do with phones. This is an improvement though and just makes it look that much more appealing. Really has me tempted to buy one now.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Was planning on keeping my series 3 but I wouldn’t mind a bigger screen on the 38 mm. Hopefully some new health tracking features too. However my current bands need to still work with the series 4.

Reactions: DotCom2

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Managed to pickup a S3 LTE from Nike for £209 knowing that there was a new one round the corner. At that price, I can't imagine the S4 will bring anything new that would make me disappointed. The only thing I hope for is Vodafone supporting the e-SIM rather than EE only in the UK.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
I see Best Buy has the series 3 on sale; I was thinking of picking one up but the larger display is a really attractive feature that I don’t mind paying extra for. It’s tiny as it is, so the more real estate the better.

I’ll be there on launch date with my card waiting for the watch to drop.

Reactions: orbital~debris

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
Managed to pickup a S3 LTE from Nike for £209 knowing that there was a new one round the corner. At that price, I can't imagine the S4 will bring anything new that would make me disappointed. The only thing I hope for is Vodafone supporting the e-SIM rather than EE only in the UK.

Vodafone and e-SIM... Amen to that. Cant believe it's still only EE that support e-sims. C'mon Vodafone, sort it out

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Vodafone and e-SIM... Amen to that. Cant believe it's still only EE that support e-sims. C'mon Vodafone, sort it out
I don't think its an overnight thing to support e-sims as it requires major changes to the infrastructure and takes a while. Having said that, Apple watch doing very well in sales so maybe Vodafone and O2 might be responding.

JakeFromStateFarm

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2017
God I hope they do a ceramic or edition model. I had a SS 0 and a SS2 but pulled the trigger on a ceramic for the S3 and love it.

Im kinda in the same boat: had an SS one every gen and was ready to get this awesome looking black ceramic this time around. Only time will tell.
I however image, all watches will be cellular and the are dropping the Nike versions. So aluminium 38/42, SS 38/42, edition 38/42

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
My guess it is fewer because new LTE chips can handle a bigger geographical area, basically each chip covering more frequencies than before.

Huh? I don’t think it has to do with that at all.

Right now there’s 2 GPS only aluminum, 2 Cellular aluminum, 2 Cellular stainless steel and 2 Cellular ceramic.

The fact that there’s fewer models for S4 could mean these 6 will ONLY be Cellular or they’ll get rid of ceramic.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Huh? I don’t think it has to do with that at all.

Right now there’s 2 GPS only aluminum, 2 Cellular aluminum, 2 Cellular stainless steel and 2 Cellular ceramic.

The fact that there’s fewer models for S4 could mean these 6 will ONLY be Cellular or they’ll get rid of ceramic.
Yes I am wondering if they might drop the non-cellular models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.