Apple Watch Series 4 Models Filed in Eurasian Database Ahead of September Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today filed six new Apple Watch model numbers with the Eurasian Economic Commission, including A1977, A1978, A1975, A1976, A2007, and A2008, according to French blog Consomac. All of the models run watchOS 5.

[​IMG]
    Apple Watch Series 4 mockup via Ben Geskin

The filings are legally required for any encrypted devices sold in Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Russia.

These model numbers likely correspond with the widely rumored Apple Watch Series 4 lineup, expected to be unveiled at an Apple Event in September alongside a trio of new iPhone models, new AirPods, and more.

In the past, similar filings with the Eurasian Economic Commission have been submitted for the lower-cost 9.7-inch iPad, 10.5-inch iPad Pro and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, Apple Watch Series 2, AirPods, and 2018 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, usually within one to two weeks before each product was released.

At this point, it was already pretty obvious that Series 4 models are coming next month, but the filings eliminate any remaining doubt.

The only unique aspect of this year's filings are that there are currently only six unreleased Apple Watch Series 4 model numbers, whereas the Series 3 lineup has eight model numbers: two aluminum GPS-only models, and six LTE models, including aluminum, stainless steel, and ceramic variants in two sizes.

Naturally, this has led to some speculation that there might not be ceramic Series 4 models, but there are many possibilities.

Earlier this year, well-connected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple Watch Series 4 models will feature 15 percent larger displays, longer battery life, and improved health monitoring capabilities.

If past is predicate for the future, Apple will likely hold its next event on Wednesday, September 12, with invites to the media going out in the last few days of August. MacRumors will provide live coverage as usual.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 4 Models Filed in Eurasian Database Ahead of September Launch

2. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

Take series 3 mockup. Change number 3 to number 4. Done.

Genius!

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

As long as my bands are compatible, I look forward to any other changes with the larger display and additional health sensors.

4. johhenrik macrumors newbie

johhenrik

My guess it is fewer because new LTE chips can handle a bigger geographical area, basically each chip covering more frequencies than before.

5. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Hope Apple don't hike the prices too much.

People really love Apple Watches, seeing more and more of them (albeit older models). Keep it accessible, it is helping people to put their health front and centre.

6. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

Great news, i'm looking to update from my Series 0 to the Series 4 when it comes out. If they don't update the Ceramic i wonder if they will add another version for the Edition instead or just remove it from the line up?

7. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

If we get at least a slight update on the form factor, I‘m finally sold on my first Apple Watch.

8. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I won a series 3 at work the other day. I have yet to open the box.

Maybe I should sell it and wait for the latest one. Not really a fan wearables anyways though so not sure what to do.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

If you’re not interested in keeping it, I would sell it now, as you would still likely accrue more of a profit, because once the Series 4 is announced Assumingly, the Series 3 will drop in price and the market will be saturated with those wanting to sell their watches wanting to upgrade. But being your watch is new, that also helps.

10. Superhappytree, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Why not just fill the entire screen right up to the aluminium/steel edges? I don’t care for this bezeless craze with phones but I don’t see why the Watch needs any bezel there at all when you rarely need to hold onto them like you do with phones. This is an improvement though and just makes it look that much more appealing. Really has me tempted to buy one now.

11. GaryMumford macrumors regular

GaryMumford

if your not a fan then sell it and don't replace it with the latest one. simple!

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

Was planning on keeping my series 3 but I wouldn’t mind a bigger screen on the 38 mm. Hopefully some new health tracking features too. However my current bands need to still work with the series 4.

13. HacKage macrumors 6502

Managed to pickup a S3 LTE from Nike for £209 knowing that there was a new one round the corner. At that price, I can't imagine the S4 will bring anything new that would make me disappointed. The only thing I hope for is Vodafone supporting the e-SIM rather than EE only in the UK.

14. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

I see Best Buy has the series 3 on sale; I was thinking of picking one up but the larger display is a really attractive feature that I don’t mind paying extra for. It’s tiny as it is, so the more real estate the better.

I’ll be there on launch date with my card waiting for the watch to drop.

15. GaryMumford macrumors regular

GaryMumford

Vodafone and e-SIM... Amen to that. Cant believe it's still only EE that support e-sims. C'mon Vodafone, sort it out

16. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

God I hope they do a ceramic or edition model. I had a SS 0 and a SS2 but pulled the trigger on a ceramic for the S3 and love it.

17. groovyf macrumors 6502

Still got my Series 0 - and desperate to replace it. The Series 4 can't come soon enough.

18. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I don't think its an overnight thing to support e-sims as it requires major changes to the infrastructure and takes a while. Having said that, Apple watch doing very well in sales so maybe Vodafone and O2 might be responding.

19. newyorksole macrumors 68040

I’m still rocking my 3+ year old Series 0 and am LONGING for a slightly larger / redesigned Series 4.

Bring it on! This is going to be an awesome Fall/Winter.

20. JakeFromStateFarm macrumors newbie

Im kinda in the same boat: had an SS one every gen and was ready to get this awesome looking black ceramic this time around. Only time will tell.
    I however image, all watches will be cellular and the are dropping the Nike versions. So aluminium 38/42, SS 38/42, edition 38/42

21. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Huh? I don’t think it has to do with that at all.

Right now there’s 2 GPS only aluminum, 2 Cellular aluminum, 2 Cellular stainless steel and 2 Cellular ceramic.

The fact that there’s fewer models for S4 could mean these 6 will ONLY be Cellular or they’ll get rid of ceramic.

22. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Yes I am wondering if they might drop the non-cellular models.

23. cknibbs macrumors regular

I’d love to see a non-cellular version of the stainless steel. I know that will never happen, but one can wish.

24. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I don't think that will happen. Things move on and I am sure that Apple will want to offer cellular with all their watches

25. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

There’s no reason to offer models without cellular capability. Just make the cellular model the same price as the non-cellular was.