Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omelet1978

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
So the normal answer to this is for most things likes iPhone's and smart watches is "if you have this years model, next years will be a minor upgrade so skip it"...That being said I was wondering if Series 5 owners on here are tempted to upgrade to the Series 6 anyway based off the rumors being released.

There are supposedly new features such as sleep tracking and better battery life. Battery life for me is a huge factor and I went from a Series 4 (roughly 2 day battery life) to a Series 5 (roughly a 1.5 day battery life) bc of the always on display. If the Series 6 has a notable battery life improvement it'll be tempting...below is an article for reference:

mcpooolie

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
??
I’d spring for an upgrade yearly even if there isn’t much changes. Just gotta get the latest ?

After a year, the batteries would’ve seen better days anyways.

Reactions: jjm3 and Indianwin

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Need the latest so yes. I keep two, the previous gen and the current gen. My S4 is currently being used for sleep, workouts and physical activity and my S5 with cellular plan is my daily driver. When the S6 is available, my S5 will take over as the activities watch and the S6 will be my new daily driver with cellular. I’ll try to sell the S4 at that point.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So the normal answer to this is for most things likes iPhone's and smart watches is "if you have this years model, next years will be a minor upgrade so skip it"...That being said I was wondering if Series 5 owners on here are tempted to upgrade to the Series 6 anyway based off the rumors being released.

There are supposedly new features such as sleep tracking and better battery life. Battery life for me is a huge factor and I went from a Series 4 (roughly 2 day battery life) to a Series 5 (roughly a 1.5 day battery life) bc of the always on display. If the Series 6 has a notable battery life improvement it'll be tempting...below is an article for reference:

You mean ‘this fall‘, not next fall. We’re talking about the same potential year for the Series 6 to release, that is if it’s not delayed.

Anyways, Everyone here is going to have the same answer, they may not consider upgrading until we actually know specifically what the Series 6 can offer over the Series 5. I’m an Apple Watch fanatic, and even I wouldn’t commit to the Series 6 unless we absolutely have an idea of what to expect, which we probably won’t know more in depth until at least August.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It is too early for me to say definitively one way or another. I will say that the improvements will need to be significant. An extra hour of battery and sleep tracking built in probably won’t get me to buy.

I would LIKE better battery life, but I don't need it because I always make it to bedtime anyway, and I charge overnight. Which leads me to the second point, sleep tracking - zero use for it and would never wear a watch to bed.

So unless there's a LOT more to S6, I'll be keeping my S5 another year.

You mean ‘this fall‘, not next fall. We’re talking about the same potential year for the Series 6 to release, that is if it’s not delayed.

Anyways, Everyone here is going to have the same answer, they may not consider upgrading until we actually know specifically what the Series 6 can offer over the Series 5. I’m an Apple Watch fanatic, and even I wouldn’t commit to the Series 6 unless we absolutely have an idea of what to expect, which we probably won’t know more in depth until at least August.

Yep all of these applies for me as well. The always on display wasn’t tempting enough for me to upgrade last year. An hour of extra battery life and sleep tracking won’t tempt me either. I use a sleep++ tracking app at present and it works perfectly fine.

7a436ad6650638b082d7b6bb281f2c22.jpg

Reactions: 44267547

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yes without a doubt.

I will be upgrading for battery life alone. Hoping it is improved as mine has been so up and down since i got it.

Going for SS Space black this year.

Reactions: - rob -

Self Mastered

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
No not interested at all. Thinking of not even using devices that can be tracked in the future as I don’t like the way the world is going.
You are being tracked with your internet usage, your credit card, and all other sorts of tech. To escape it, is to live in Russian Siberia or Canadian north in a mud hut. We are moving deeper into a data-centric society, and that is as inevitable as the industrial revolution that came before it.

omelet1978

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Yes without a doubt.

I will be upgrading for battery life alone. Hoping it is improved as mine has been so up and down since i got it.

Going for SS Space black this year.

I think if the battery life goes to be back at what the Series 4 battery life was (Series 4 was 2 days battery life, Series 5 was 1.5 days battery life for me) I'd be tempted. I mostly use it for notifications and such, so not big into the fitness aspect of it so I think the battery life on my watch might be longer than other people.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
No not interested at all. Thinking of not even using devices that can be tracked in the future as I don’t like the way the world is going.

Could be worse you could have an android phone which is more likely to take your data...hope you don’t use Facebook

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Could be worse you could have an android phone which is more likely to take your data...hope you don’t use Facebook

Any cellphone and you carrier can triangulate your location anyway. If I’d be worried I’d start there.

Reactions: akash.nu

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
No chance whatsoever. I have a SS 44mm AW5 and I'm not going to take the ridiculous loss you get when selling a used SS for an incremental, barely noticeable, 'improvement.'

Reactions: oeagleo

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Pretty much after AW0 I have purchased all my AW's used. The resale value is horrible on them no matter what version you have. So I'll either get AW6 used or just wait till AW7 and see what that offers. There will be some speed increases as always and a few additions but not enough to get my money day 1. And AW is my favorite product, since I do most of my coding for it these days.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
I will wait 1 or two months and get one from Amazon Warehouse deals used like i got my S5 LTE. It was like new and i got 140€ off.

toxtrepla

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2020
Like others have said... Battery life is the biggest factor for me. The new S6 chip could be what the A13 was to the iPhone. It basically has to be if sleep tracking is to come to fruition. Otherwise, I’ll wait it out till the very likely body redesign of the S7. 3 Years seems to be the rotation of design elements.

Reactions: the future

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I would LIKE better battery life, but I don't need it because I always make it to bedtime anyway, and I charge overnight. Which leads me to the second point, sleep tracking - zero use for it and would never wear a watch to bed.

So unless there's a LOT more to S6, I'll be keeping my S5 another year.

That sums up my feelings. While the battery doesn’t last as long as my series 3 did, it get me to bedtime every day, which is my minimum requirement. And while I theoretically like the idea of sleep tracking, I don’t like the feeling of wearing a watch while I’m sleeping. My watch still feels new— not interested in an update yet.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I will wait 1 or two months and get one from Amazon Warehouse deals used like i got my S5 LTE. It was like new and i got 140€ off.

The‘ Amazon warehouse‘ deals that you’re mentioning, are typically refurbished devices. If they do have any new units, it’s usually sold through third-party distributors and fulfilled through Amazon. Personally, I would rather just buy direct from a known-retailer versus dealing with any sketchy third-party retailers or any refurbished units, which I’m not a fan of.

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
The‘ Amazon warehouse‘ deals that you’re mentioning, are typically refurbished devices. If they do have any new units, it’s usually sold through third-party distributors and fulfilled through Amazon. Personally, I would rather just buy direct from a known-retailer versus dealing with any sketchy third-party retailers or any refurbished units, which I’m not a fan of.
In Germany those warehouse items are sold directly by Amazon, and you have 24 month of warranty. They are returned items and mostly like new units. I never had a bad experience with amazon warehouse deals in Europe.

Banich2

Suspended
Apr 21, 2015
San Francisco, California
No. The always-on display was enough of a reason for me to jump from the 3 to the 5, and I decided to go for stainless steel. These watches have very little resale value, so I have to make this last at least 2 years

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
I think if the battery life goes to be back at what the Series 4 battery life was (Series 4 was 2 days battery life, Series 5 was 1.5 days battery life for me) I'd be tempted. I mostly use it for notifications and such, so not big into the fitness aspect of it so I think the battery life on my watch might be longer than other people.

I'm the same use wise - and I cannot figure out why when Apple says the S5 had a more power-efficient processor - even people that have turned off the AOD say the battery does not last longer than the S4?

I have no need for AOD as I just use it for when I'm remote and need notifications - and so with AOD off on an S5 I'd expect... 2.5 days of use?

It's the only thing keeping me from ordering an S5 right now...

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I’d spring for an upgrade yearly even if there isn’t much changes. Just gotta get the latest ?

After a year, the batteries would’ve seen better days anyways.

Rubbish. My Series 3 brought a month after release lasts an easy 24 hours and then some.

locksmack

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
I'm the same use wise - and I cannot figure out why when Apple says the S5 had a more power-efficient processor - even people that have turned off the AOD say the battery does not last longer than the S4?

I have no need for AOD as I just use it for when I'm remote and need notifications - and so with AOD off on an S5 I'd expect... 2.5 days of use?

It's the only thing keeping me from ordering an S5 right now...
Did Apple say the processor is more efficient? Don't the S4 and S5 have an identical processor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.