Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

and 4096 others like this

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
Hi,

I wonder what direction Apple will take with Apple Watch? At the beginning I thought it would be more like jewelry, but after introduction of Series 4 I would say the pathway is more like medical device.

I know they take efforts to create non-invasion glucometer, but reports suggest it's not even near to create such technology.

I don't really know the sport watch/band market, so my question to you - what new could Apple bring with AW Series 5 (besides faster CPU)? Does competitors have uniq feature? I still don't know if I need Apple Watch at all, but I'm shock how fast technology gallop. 15 years ago we had bulky notebooks, nowadays we have powerful device at wrist :)

EDIT:

It's not the question - should I buy Series 4 or wait for Series 5 :) I'm just wondering what more could this tiny device have or what competitors have already?

Reactions: februarian

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Hi,

I wonder what direction Apple will take with Apple Watch? At the beginning I thought it would be more like jewelry, but after introduction of Series 4 I would say the pathway is more like medical device.

I know they take efforts to create non-invasion glucometer, but reports suggest it's not even near to create such technology.

I don't really know the sport watch/band market, so my question to you - what new could Apple bring with AW Series 5 (besides faster CPU)? Does competitors have uniq feature? I still don't know if I need Apple Watch at all, but I'm shock how fast technology gallop. 15 years ago we had bulky notebooks, nowadays we have powerful device at wrist :)

EDIT:

It's not the question - should I buy Series 4 or wait for Series 5 :) I'm just wondering what more could this tiny device have or what competitors have already?
Best thing would be micro-LED display. That would bring always on (mostly) That's really the only non medical thing left.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Hi,

EDIT:

There is no definitive answer. We won’t know how the next version will differ until it is released. We don’t know what’s being offered by competition, unless the competition has a different product release time frame. I see the wearable market more fully embracing health optimization. If not, smart watches would bring to the table, not a great desk more than any other watch.

I would like to see micro LED Always on. I would like to see batteries that last a long time as in quartz watches. I don’t see BP or glucose monitoring happening any time soon.

I would like to see more well thought out interaction between smart phone and watch or even more independence at reduced cost.

Until there is a LONG TERM battery, I forever see the watch as disposable and not a jewelry item.

rgyiv

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2018
  • Apple Watch Series 5 - Rumors suggest Apple Watch Series 5 will feature a new ceramic casing design, suggesting a return of the Apple Watch Edition. Expanded ECG support for additional countries is also expected in 2019, with the feature likely to be available in Series 4 and new Series 5 models. New health features have also been rumored for years, such as non-invasive blood glucose monitoring. A micro-LED display is a possibility, as are solid state buttons. We don't yet know what to expect from the next Apple Watch, but Apple reliably updates it every September just like the iPhone.
From: https://www.macrumors.com/guide/upcoming-apple-products/

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
The just announced Samsung watch will apparently read blood pressure, but it‘s not clear yet how.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I hope they improve battery life or give it fast charging.
Yes, Apple Watch is crazy slow at charging such a small battery. Initially I though something was wrong. On my old Garmin 735xt you could almost count pct. as seconds and charged in no time. Maybe it is due to the wireless charging, but I would happily trade that for quicker charging.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I have read were ‘fast charging’ is actually not healthy for lithium ion batteries, but I agree that I would like to see an accelerated charging pace for the Apple Watch, and I’m sure that’s feasible, but I agree, it does charge relatively slow, but for the most, I think that’s probably non-issue for most, because they likely have enough battery power to make it through the day where they charge it at night anyways, when the watch is off their wrist. And of course there is the ‘Power saving mode’.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I have read were ‘fast charging’ is actually not healthy for lithium ion batteries, but I agree that I would like to see an accelerated charging pace for the Apple Watch, and I’m sure that’s feasible, but I agree, it does charge relatively slow, but for the most, I think that’s probably non-issue for most, because they likely have enough battery power to make it through the day where they charge it at night anyways, when the watch is off their wrist. And of course there is the ‘Power saving mode’.
I have read, that it was a false assumption and what really matter is not getting to warm. What manufactures of mobile phones makes possible with fast charge today seems to confirm that. However Apple Watch already get quite warm today, even with the slow charge. If that is inefficiency of the wireless charging resulting in energi being lost on heat I don't know (don't have any other gadget supporting wireless charging).

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I have no issues with battery life/charging speed. I wear mine all day from 6:30am-5:30ish am when I get up to get ready for work I charge it and its 100% charged for the start of the day everyday..

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I have no issues with battery life/charging speed. I wear mine all day from 6:30am-5:30ish am when I get up to get ready for work I charge it and its 100% charged for the start of the day everyday..

When you wake up in the morning what’s the battery life at? How long is it on the charger before you head out the door? What size of watch do you have?

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
When you wake up in the morning what’s the battery life at? How long is it on the charger before you head out the door? What size of watch do you have?
I think around mid 60 battery life. I will look tomorrow morning when I take it off to charge. It’s a 44mm. It’s off my wrist no more than 40-50min per 24 hours and it hits 100 percent charge before I put it back on for the day.

Reactions: Woodcrest64

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I think around mid 60 battery life. I will look tomorrow morning when I take it off to charge. It’s a 44mm. It’s off my wrist no more than 40-50min per 24 hours and it hits 100 percent charge before I put it back on for the day.

I’m guessing you don’t use GPS at all or exercise daily with it? Otherwise, I really am baffled at how that’s possible. Do you turn off a lot of the features on the watch?

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I’m guessing you don’t use GPS at all or exercise daily with it? Otherwise, I really am baffled at how that’s possible. Do you turn off a lot of the features on the watch?

No I’m probably a light user compared to some. Just check texts/time here and there throughout the day. Although I should work out I don’t at this point lol.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
No I’m probably a light user compared to some. Just check texts/time here and there throughout the day. Although I should work out I don’t at this point lol.

And that’s the point. For those who say the Apple Watch has plenty of battery life for sleep tracking, I suspect (just a guess) they fall into that usage pattern. The fitness aspects of the watch (other than LTE) are the biggest drain on the battery.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
If Sleep tracking rumors are true they need to implement the ff to the next AWatch:

1. At least 2-3 days battery life
2. Fast charging (Ala AirPods Battery but with less degradation over time).
3. New sensors
4. No need for faster CPU, they can do an efficiency update this time around S5 could sport 15% faster processing but insane battery life and people would adopt the watch faster.

Software-wise a toggle for bed time would automatically tune the watch to low power mode + sleep tracking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodcrest64

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
If Sleep tracking rumors are true they need to implement the ff to the next AWatch:

1. At least 2-3 days battery life
2. Fast charging (Ala AirPods Battery but with less degradation over time).
3. New sensors
4. No need for faster CPU, they can do an efficiency update this time around S5 could sport 15% faster processing but insane battery life and people would adopt the watch faster.

Software-wise a toggle for bed time would automatically tune the watch to low power mode + sleep tracking.

Part of me would love fast charging a little more than better battery life if I had to choose between that and longer battery life. Like if I could put the Apple watch on the charger have it charged up to 80% in 30 minutes and fully charged in 45minutes that be wonderful. Apple needs to improve battery life if they want to have the sleep monitoring feature. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.