Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced the Apple Watch Series 8 with the same overall design as the Series 7, including a larger display that curves around the edges. One of the headline new features of the Series 8 is a new body temperature sensor designed for women's health purposes, such as knowing when ovulation has occurred.

f1662570472.jpg

The new sensor in the Series 8 measures the wearer's wrist temperature every five seconds overnight, and can alert the user to shifts in their baseline temperature through the Health app, which could result from exercise, jet lag, or illness. The body temperature sensor enables retrospective ovulation estimates and estimates of cycle deviation.

f1662570646.jpg

The new sensor joins the standard heart rate sensor and the ECG app to offer users a comprehensive suite of health features, according to Apple.

Series 8 models also have a new car crash detection feature, which can enable automatically connect you with emergency services, provide location, and notify emergency contacts in the unfortunate event of a severe car crash. To enable this, the Series 8 features a new three-axis gyroscope and high g-force accelerometer.

f1662571017-1.jpg

While the Apple Watch Series 8 still features up to 18 hours of battery life like previous models, watchOS 9 introduces a new Low Power Mode that limits some functionality, such as the always-on display and workout detection, to extend battery life. With Low Power Mode enabled, the Apple Watch Series 8 can last up to 36 hours per charge.

The Apple Watch Series 8 is available for pre-order today and will be available on Friday, September 16. The Series 8 starts at $399 for GPS and $499 for cellular models. It's available in aluminum Midnight, Starlight, Silver, and PRODUCT(RED). For stainless steel Series 8 models, finish options include Silver, Gold, and Graphite.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 8 Announced With New Body Temperature Sensor, Car Crash Detection, and More

Last edited:

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
So far, a new AW that is designed for women, who drive cars.

So Apple are introducing a watch, that has all the features that are new, that exist on a Garmin Fenix.They began marketing it as an Ultra watch, and then suggest it's for running around Boston?
Battery life is still crap too.

Last edited:

yegon

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
No space black SS means no deal. Been wearing my space black link bracelet for years, still like new, but can hardly it wear it with graphite, tsk. Series 5 for another year, heyho. Done me a favour really, my S5 is still fine for my usage, none of the features since are deal breakers for me.

Perhaps a new battery, hmm, although it’s at 91% health so barely seems worth it.

Reactions: Si Vis Pacem
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.