Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So you want to reply on target employees to become knowledgable in selling the features of Apple Watch to the consumer? I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
Well Apple already entrusted them to sell iPhones, iPads and iPods...

You mean you'll just mindlessly parrot whatever position Apple takes on the watch no matter how contradictory or hypocritical it may be?

Asking more questions would lead to less ass-u-mptions about others.
Honestly I don't really care what position Apple takes. I'm certainly not as worked up about it as you seem to be. It's not like Apple stores are ubiquitous in the United States. There are lots of places where people aren't close to an Apple store at all, and some states like North and South Dakota don't even have Apple stores. And there are probably lots of places that don't have Best Buy stores either. In those cases if somebody wants the watch they're ordering it online, and then perhaps heading over to Apple's website to watch the guided tours or view the user guide. Just because Apple decided to take a more personal touch in their own stores doesn't mean that's the only way the watch can be sold.

Last edited by a moderator:

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
I guess people forget Target being called Targé Boutique as they started to go a bit more upscale (I believe that nickname came into being on Ron Johnson's watch at Target).

Ah, que the guy who starts a war anytime someone whispers something bad about the Apple Watch. We get it, you're in love. Now take a deep breath, and go spend your energy buying some high end jewelry at Targé.

I reckon it won't belong and they'll be putting them in breakfast cereals, I'm not sure if I'd wear one, but if I get one in my Corn Flakes I might give it a go.

Only if it has a special edition Tony the Tiger wrist band.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Apple has had their cake, and now they're going to eat it. They needed the fashion world to get past the perception that the Apple Watch was just another geeky smart watch. Now that's done.

But it' not. Entrance into the fashion world is one thing, acceptance in it is another and it's a full time, long term proposition. It's not enough to just put out a Hermes edition and rest on their laurels. And Apple's success on that front so far is arguable.

If Apple continued to rely on the perception of exclusivity, they would lose out on sales to the people who are turned off by haute couture.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Apple can't make the watch available to all income levels in as many venues as possible. But there is value to exclusivity. Apple didn't get where it is today by being seen as a common product. Exclusivity is in its blood and always has been. That's what drives all the premium brands. Now the watch is taking it to new levels with Apple's attempt to influence the fashion world. People buy into Apple and pay their prices because of that perception of exclusivity. Unfortunately if people are turned off by haute couture, Apple's already spoiled that for them, selling it at Target isn't going to change that. But Apple can just as easily damage the perception of being an exclusive product to those they've fought for so diligently, by making it too commonplace. There's a reason why some retailer keep prices at a certain point, even when the economy is tanking, so they don't dilute their brand exclusivity, because they will likely never get it back. And People buy Apple as much for the experience they get buying it, as they do for the product -- something that particularly affects the watch. So now Watches are going to be sold right along the Timex and Casio. But it's going to carry a pretentious price to anything else Target sells, and there's not likely to be a very well trained sales staff to deter that perception, and explain the value.

So I just don't get it. I'm not concerned for Apple, just confused by them. It will certainly be interesting to see how this pans out, but right now it seems a tad schizophrenic.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ah, que the guy who starts a war anytime someone whispers something bad about the Apple Watch. We get it, you're in love. Now take a deep breath, and go spend your energy buying some high end jewelry at Targé.

Hmm...it seems like there are others in this thread that should be taking the deep breath. They seem to be deeply concerned about an Apple product being sold at Target, not me.

eNetro

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
United States
Wait the article says that Target will be selling 20 models of Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch with Sport Bands which prices range from $349 to $599, but Apple offers 12 models of Watch Sport and 6 models of Watch (steel) with Sport bands. What are the other 2 models?

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
It's probably gonna succeed. Just saw an older woman buy an apple watch sport at best buy when upgrading my sister's phone. Funny thing is the salesperson couldn't figure out how to switch out to the smaller band and had to look it up in the manual when she was putting it on.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
And People buy Apple as much for the experience they get buying it, as they do for the product -- something that particularly affects the watch. So now Watches are going to be sold right along the Timex and Casio. But it's going to carry a pretentious price to anything else Target sells, and there's not likely to be a very well trained sales staff to deter that perception, and explain the value.

So I just don't get it. I'm not concerned for Apple, just confused by them. It will certainly be interesting to see how this pans out, but right now it seems a tad schizophrenic.
I think Apple has learned that the people who buy its products are not a monolithic People who can be summed up and marketed to with a single strategy.

It's possible that you consider yourself one of the "People", and you assume that your reaction to Apple selling the Apple Watch at target is that it makes you less likely to buy one, whereas the high fashion exclusivity angle gave it an appeal that was working on you. You are extrapolating your own lessened desire to own an :apple:Watch if it can be had at Target to the rest of the marketplace.

But it's been pointed out that Target carries many Apple products, including their biggest success, the iPhone. The iPhone is sold in stores right next to $14.99 pre-paid flip phones. There's a large enough group of people who find the experience of buying these Apple products at Target perfectly acceptable, and Apple wants their business as much as they want yours.

For myself, the first :apple:Watch I saw in person was the one that was delivered to my door in June. At another time I might have gone to the Apple Store that is 20 miles away, to at least get a look at one in person. And I would have likely bought it there. But with a two-year-old boy and an infant born May 1 to look after, I don't find myself with the time to go to the Apple Store. There is, however, a Target within walking distance. I see the availability of Apple products there to be a plus. We have twins arriving sometime in the next two weeks, so I doubt I'm going to be one of the People that think like you do for a long time. I still like Apple products, though.

We'll both be waiting to see how this multiple demographic strategy works out for Apple with the :apple:Watch over the holiday shopping season.

Reactions: HVDynamo

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
I think Apple has learned that the people who buy its products are not a monolithic People who can be summed up and marketed to with a single strategy.

It's possible that you consider yourself one of the "People", and you assume that your reaction to Apple selling the Apple Watch at target is that it makes you less likely to buy one, whereas the high fashion exclusivity angle gave it an appeal that was working on you. You are extrapolating your own lessened desire to own an :apple:Watch if it can be had at Target to the rest of the marketplace.

But it's been pointed out that Target carries many Apple products, including their biggest success, the iPhone. The iPhone is sold in stores right next to $14.99 pre-paid flip phones. There's a large enough group of people who find the experience of buying these Apple products at Target perfectly acceptable, and Apple wants their business as much as they want yours.

For myself, the first :apple:Watch I saw in person was the one that was delivered to my door in June. At another time I might have gone to the Apple Store that is 20 miles away, to at least get a look at one in person. And I would have likely bought it there. But with a two-year-old boy and an infant born May 1 to look after, I don't find myself with the time to go to the Apple Store. There is, however, a Target within walking distance. I see the availability of Apple products there to be a plus. We have twins arriving sometime in the next two weeks, so I doubt I'm going to be one of the People that think like you do for a long time. I still like Apple products, though.

We'll both be waiting to see how this multiple demographic strategy works out for Apple with the :apple:Watch over the holiday shopping season.

How was your infant born May 1st, and you're now expecting twins in October? :eek::confused::eek:

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
So I guess iPhones and iPads aren't "premium products" because they're sold at Target too you know. And yeah now that there aren't supply constraints it's easier to see and buy the Watch. What's so surprising about that?!?

Swap out Watch for iPhone or iPad. Target sells those too.

Guess again genius.

Did Apple ever plan to sell iPhones and iPad's at high end boutique stores only? No? Thanks for playing. Come back when you have a legitimate comparison.

Since when are Apple retail stores considered high end boutiques?

They aren't and I'm sure you also heard the reports that they wouldn't be selling it at their own stores either. ;)

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
You must have different Target stores in your area. Prices in DC area are not really low & the clientele includes the highest educated and per capita income shoppers in the country. Same people shopping there for home goods also are shopping at Nordstrom for clothes.

Isn't DC one of the highest cost-of-living cities in the US? Everything is expensive there.

And, are you the guy that stands outside that Target surveying the customers who enter? You must be to have all these statistics about consumer economics and where else Target customers shop. Or, you do a lot of stalking of Target customers after they leave the store! Where do you get this stuff, anyways? (I think I know...)

Since when are Apple retail stores considered high end boutiques?

You mean "high PRICED boutiques"?

I guess people forget Target being called Targé Boutique as they started to go a bit more upscale (I believe that nickname came into being on Ron Johnson's watch at Target).

Not sure how old you are, but I remember Target was being called Targé back when Rosanne Barr was calling housewives Domestic Goddesses. I think it might have been the 80's or 90's. It was meant to humorously raise Target's image for the "poor folk" who shop there.

Who's Ron Johnson?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Isn't DC one of the highest cost-of-living cities in the US? Everything is expensive there.

And, are you the guy that stands outside that Target surveying the customers who enter? You must be to have all these statistics about consumer economics and where else Target customers shop. Or, you do a lot of stalking of Target customers after they leave the store! Where do you get this stuff, anyways? (I think I know...)

1. Yes, but "discount" is relative to local competitors. Target isn't much less, just more convenient b/c their selection is larger.
2. No, I don't need to stalk, just chat w/ neighbors & friends. "That's nice, where did you buy that..." kind of thing. Also easy to notice the cars in the parking lots. Quite a few more $40-50K SUVs than 15K jalopies. And last, Target's demographic will well known to be well represented by upper middle class. We need storage bins & mops and laundry detergent too you know.

BikeTech04

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2015
Because nobody is buying them and they have a huge surplus.
One of my best friends from high school is working as a manager at Apple. I haven't seem him in 10 years and he came to town two weeks ago. He told me a few things he could and he suggested because he can not tell them and he told some because it was me. But basically the Apple Watch is a failure and they all know that. Steve used to have control over everything, now everybody wants to have control and be the "creative mind". Still, Apple still manufacturing a product nobody is buying and there is a surplus and Apple will not say is a failure. I haven't seen the first one still, not even in my gym.

You used the word "he" five times in one sentence...

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Because BestBuy and Target weren't worthy of such a premium product. I think Apple realized that the demographic they were shooting for didn't jump on the watch like they had hoped.

Now its all about increasing sales, which is why you saw Apple roll out more sport watch models over the SS models. The cheaper sports is more popular it seems - at least I think it is based on my observations.

No, because there where issues with the Taptic Engine from one supplier that was severely constraining stock. They couldn't manufacture enough to stock all these stores, so they limited it until they could meet the demand. The supplier issue was widely documented. How do people forget so quickly?!?

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
Apple is following the strategy of a lot of fashion companies. You have a tiered brand approach. A very expensive couture level brand that you sell very few of (Edition), but gives the parent brand a certain aura. A mid-upscale brand that is a more accessible, but still somewhat exclusive (Watch). And then a slightly upmarket brand that makes up the bulk of the profits and sales (Sport). You can see this with Ralph Lauren, Armani, tons of other large fashion brands.

They're not going to sell the Edition in Target. I seriously doubt the'll sell the (non-sport) Watch in Target. But there's nothing brand tarnishing in selling the Sport at Target.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I didn't forget about supply but also please remember how Apple was using high fashion models and magazines to promote the watch - not something you typically do for target type products.
It also isn't typical of Apple Store products. My guess is that Apple still wants a mainstream department store to carry the Apple Watch but that they are harder sells. They may want to see how Apple does this quarter before committing a display case to it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Let's see...in the September issue of Vogue, the biggest issue they publish every year, there is a 20 page ad spread from Target. Apple also has a big Watch advertisement in this issue.

https://corporate.target.com/article/2015/08/target-style-in-vogue

Within the illustrious issue, Target pays homage to fashion history with a 20-page insert. Let’s talk about how we’re creating TargetStyle, in Vogue, reimagining some of the most iconic images unearthed from Vogue's archives—using only Target product. Yes, only Target product.

Target has collaborated with a number of high profile fashion designers over the years. But somehow it's embarrassing that Apple is bringing Watch there even though Target already sells iPhone and Watch is an iPhone accessory?

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So you want to reply on target employees to become knowledgable in selling the features of Apple Watch to the consumer? I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Compared to what? Buying online, sight unseen at Apple?

I don't think anyone under 50 buying from a big box store relies on store help for product info. People do there own research and due diligence. But, again, for people who don't have the luxury of an Apple Store nearby it provides them an opportunity to see and buy product locally. That is especially helpful w/ AW since it comes in two sizes.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I didn't forget about supply but also please remember how Apple was using high fashion models and magazines to promote the watch - not something you typically do for target type products.

Have they adjusted the pricing accordingly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.