Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the Apple Watch typically has a 14-day return policy, Apple will honor refund requests related to upcoming heart health features for up to 45 days after purchase, according to an internal document distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers in the United States.

iphone-apple-watch-ecg.jpg

The document, obtained by MacRumors, states that Apple Stores will refer these requests to Apple Support, so customers will need to contact Apple by phone, email, or online chat to initiate a refund beyond the usual two-week period.

Heart health features include the upcoming ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 models and irregular heart rhythm notifications on Apple Watch Series 1 through Series 4 models. A separate Apple document obtained by MacRumors indicates that the ECG app, and likely the notifications, will be enabled in watchOS 5.1.2.

Apple Stores are not required to inspect the Apple Watch if a customer has a heart health-related refund request greater than 14 days after purchase, so it sounds like as long as a customer mentions the ECG app or irregular heart rhythm notifications as the reason for the return, Apple will honor it up to 45 days.

Apple's document does not provide any further details, so it's unclear why this policy exists. While the ECG app and irregular heart rhythm notifications are regulated features, the extended refund policy is not mandated by the FDA, according to a spokesperson for the agency. Apple did not respond to a request for comment.

Perhaps this is simply more time for customers to try out the heart-related features. Apple cautions that the ECG app is "not intended to be a diagnostic device or to replace traditional methods of diagnosis," and "should not be used to monitor or track disease state or change medication without first talking to a doctor."

To take an ECG reading from the Apple Watch, users will need to place a finger on the Digital Crown while wearing the watch. The reading is completed in 30 seconds, allowing users to determine whether their hearts are beating in a regular pattern or if there are signs of atrial fibrillation.

ECG and other heart data will be collected in the Health app on a paired iPhone 5s or newer running iOS 12.1.1 or later.

Article Link: Apple Watch Will Have Extended 45-Day Refund Period Tied to Heart Health Features

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Great news, well done apple, I sure there will be many people buying it not realizing it’s US only, having only read about it online or word of mouth.

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Also, the 45 day return policy should only apply to new Series 4 watches purchased on or after the release of iOS 5.1.2.

The only reason I traded in my 3 was because of the new ECG feature. Apple is not keeping its promise if it cannot deliver. They should take back every watch if they are not able to do what they showed in the demo. Also, why are you negotiating on their behalf. The battery life on the 4 is really bad. My 3 would give me 2 1/2 days with 10-20% left. Series 4 gives a day less.

Paul830

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Agree with some previous posts...This return policy should apply to those of us who purchased a series 4 before the ECG app was active...we didn't have the opportunity to test this feature out for 45 days. If I had known this, I would have delyed my purchase. If the app doesn't work to our liking or is not accurate then we early adopers are stuck!

balderoine

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
My 14-day period just ended yesterday on my aluminum series 4 and I felt regret not going for the cellular space black model. Looks like it's my time to shine. Lmao :D

Reactions: wwetech

oris

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Agree with some previous posts...This return policy should apply to those of us who purchased a series 4 before the ECG app was active...we didn't have the opportunity to test this feature out for 45 days. If I had known this, I would have delyed my purchase. If the app doesn't work to our liking or is not accurate then we early adopers are stuck!

exactly

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
The battery life on the 4 is really bad. My 3 would give me 2 1/2 days with 10-20% left. Series 4 gives a day less.

Battery life on Series 4 is as good or better than Series 3. I get 2 days on a charge, and sometimes 3 days depending on usage with Series 4.

You might want to take a look at the complications you have on the watch face, such as heart rate, that can contribute to battery consumption.

Series 4 battery life can be used for sleep tracking without worrying about charging every day: Apple Watch Series 4 Sleep Tracking

L-Viz

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2017
I saw that coming the moment, they announced this "feature".

ECGs have to be done in a serious safe way, not by a toy.

Texas26257

macrumors regular
May 22, 2016

I agree this should work or you get a refund but to say if you o my knew how the hell did you not know

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Battery life on Series 4 is as good or better than Series 3. I get 2 days on a charge, and sometimes 3 days depending on usage with Series 4.

You might want to take a look at the complications you have on the watch face, such as heart rate, that can contribute to battery consumption.

Series 4 battery life can be used for sleep tracking without worrying about charging every day: Apple Watch Series 4 Sleep Tracking

I am not getting the kind of battery life that you have mentioned. My watch drains even if I am not wearing it. Never used to happen on my 3. It would probably take 3% off for the entire night if I didn’t wear it. Now on 4 it takes 20% overnight.

1. Watch face - infograph with calendar, weather, time from another zone, wife on speed dial, workout, timer, activity and battery life.

2. I play soccer for 90 mins twice a week. 30 minute workout maybe 2 other days.

3. Pillow app for sleep. I stopped using the auto sleep feature since I thought maybe that is affecting battery life but no difference.

4. Sometimes my watch dies at 10%.

Maybe I need to take it to the store. I get 1 1/2 days of battery life with 20% remaining.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Bought a Nike+ series 4 yesterday at the AS and they told me I can return it until January 20th but I think it is a standard policy during holidays as people buy gifts.
I had a series 1 42mm before and went for the 44, the display is huge, the os is really fast and battery life seems great as I lost about 20% in 10 hours. It is pricey but it is damn good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.