Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macaroni_01

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2019
Germany
you guys all all wrong. The sudden kill off is because of the lawsuit in Michigan over Itunes data brokering. You were only worth eight cents to Apple

But why? I get that Music, Books, and Podcasts are replacing the iTunes app, but the store will still exist. There's still a place for those accounts. And based on leaked iOS 13 screenshots, we'll still have the iTunes Store on iPhone.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
But why? I get that Music, Books, and Podcasts are replacing the iTunes app, but the store will still exist. There's still a place for those accounts. And based on leaked iOS 13 screenshots, we'll still have the iTunes Store on iPhone.
I think Apple is switching iTunes as a software brand into the online store brand. So moving forward, people will see iTunes as the store, not as the jukebox software.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
There are many reasons I think sunsetting iTunes is a bad idea, though I acknowledge I may be in the [largish] minority on that. One reason, however, will be the complete crapshoot of online search results for the inevitable problems that require troubleshooting.

Generic names like Music, Photos and TV (etc.) will make it that much harder to find support articles for upcoming software problems. At least with names such as iTunes, GarageBand, or iPhoto, you could clue in on pertinent material much easier.

It's attention to the little details like these that really separates the great from the merely okay.

:confused:

I am sure you will find support.

However, I am very happy about this change to iTunes. Looking forward to seeing what the new apps are like.

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
I couldn’t imagine a better metaphor than iTunes, to showcase the dramatic rise and fall of a once great company.
iTunes changed the world.
Apple changed the world.

Now they are both sad memes of themselves. The Charlie Sheen and Johnny Depp of tech if you will.
Except there still isn’t a bigger event in tech than an iPhone unveil; there isn’t a bigger launch than an iPhone launch. You couldn’t imagine a worse analogy because no one in tech gets more attention than Apple still to this day.

But you tried, and for that here is a star:

Y-sIUT2H.jpg

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I just really hope the iTunes replacement is a well-designed and functional app. So many people hate iTunes, but I honestly like it. Other than random sync bugs it's fast on an SSD iMac and organizes/plays all my media without issue. I haven't found any alternative I like better.
I’m sure the base Music software is based off iTunes. It’s just a rebranding in a sense. And yeah, I’m like iTunes as well, but I can see Apple migrating some brands away from their old roots.

For example, iSight. This was used to be Apple’s brand for their webcam on the Mac. Now iSight is a brand for the iPhone camera. We know iTunes as the software, but many lay people see iTunes as a store in their iPhones.

jbpiv3

macrumors member
May 1, 2019
Is it just me, or does this seem like it’s going to hurt them more than anything?

I can figure it out and understand this (just like everyone else on here...) but your standard user is and will be confused. I have seen a lot of confused social media posts from people who think they’re going to lose everything... music, gift cards, etc... at a time when services are what Apple is banking off, they sure are digging themselves a hole.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I seriously cannot understand all the complaints about iTunes. Unless I'm really under utilizing it, it works perfect for music, as a matter of fact, it's playing my music right at the moment. The album view is great, my music is sorted by genre and artist too, so I can quickly find the song I'm looking for. Lyrics work great as well. I also do use it to sync music to my iPod(s) and that also works flawlessly, so that's not it either. Maybe you guys are shopping through it and that doesn't work as it should?

If somebody could quickly summarize what they don't like about it, I'd greatly appreciate it. I hope the next app is, well largely the same... because I cannot find anything so wrong about it that it desperately needs a replacement and all the hate it gets. I just hope Apple doesn't dumb it down and messes up our neatly crafted music libraries.

(and yes, I'm running the latest version of iTunes, so it's not some old but great version of it which people can't let go)

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I just fear for the worst. I use iTunes to handle my music library on my Mac, and control what music, videos, books, and audiobooks get stored on my iPhone. The current iPhone apps obviously couldn't do this. So if there is a new "Music" app, what will that actually be able to do?

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
I just really hope the iTunes replacement is a well-designed and functional app. So many people hate iTunes, but I honestly like it. Other than random sync bugs it's fast on an SSD iMac and organizes/plays all my media without issue. I haven't found any alternative I like better.
I've had Plex installed a couple of years... duplicating my iTunes server for my ATV clients. I've always found iTunes easier to use but could get by very with just PLEX.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I just really hope the iTunes replacement is a well-designed and functional app. .
You optimist.

So many people hate iTunes, but I honestly like it. Other than random sync bugs it's fast on an SSD iMac and organizes/plays all my media without issue. I haven't found any alternative I like better.

With every change to iTunes, they have introduced tons of bugs and removed functionality. As a software developer, I am especially pissed off with this - either their QA is total garbage, or totally powerless. On one new release, I sent 8 reports of new bugs to Apple within an hour. I would be ashamed to work on the iTunes team, and ashamed to admit it to anyone.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Is it just me, or does this seem like it’s going to hurt them more than anything?

I can figure it out and understand this (just like everyone else on here...) but your standard user is and will be confused. I have seen a lot of confused social media posts from people who think they’re going to lose everything... music, gift cards, etc... at a time when services are what Apple is banking off, they sure are digging themselves a hole.
On the contrary, the ones confused will be just old timers like us who remember iTunes as a jukebox software. Majority of lay consumers out there know iTunes as that app where they can buy music and movies on their phones, which doesn’t change.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

HTZ

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2019
I just fear for the worst. I use iTunes to handle my music library on my Mac, and control what music, videos, books, and audiobooks get stored on my iPhone. The current iPhone apps obviously couldn't do this. So if there is a new "Music" app, what will that actually be able to do?

True... The last thing I want is a watered down iPhone app. For some reason these days, every piece of software that comes out seems to have so few features yet is so much more buggy than the old ones they replaced. Honestly, Apple's been pretty good about NOT doing this so far. Microsoft took this approach and essentially is trying to water down Windows in my opinion with W10. Apple has been clear that iOS and macOS will never merge. That's a good start, but I'm still worried about macOS 10.15 bringing iOS apps to the Mac. All I hope is that developers don't just slap their touch-friendly, fat-fingered-designed apps in the macOS AppStore and call it a day. I'm kinda scared, especially after that's exactly what Apple did with voice memos and News in 10.14. Just open Voice Memos in macOS Mojave and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
iTunes has attracted its fair share of criticism over the years for being bloated software, so its split into three separate apps would be much welcomed.
Speak for yourself. This is obviously a polarizing topic, but this is unfortunate news for me. I have grown very used to iTunes as my hub, and for encrypted backup of my i-devices. iTunes might have become a little kludgy (I actually don’t find it that terrible ), but I would rather have that then fragmentation.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Updated FAQ incoming:
Where is my music? In Music. That's where you can play music from Apple Music, which you may subscribe to. But your music that isn't in Apple Music can be played in Music, so you can still access your music in Music without subscribing to Apple Music.

“Music is a magical app that will bring your music to you, in one place, so that you don’t have to search for it anymore. We have gone to great lengths to make this the best music experience ever. We want our users to have an experience, and that’s Music ... and it’s magically amazing.”

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Updated FAQ incoming:
Where is my music? In Music. That's where you can play music from Apple Music, which you may subscribe to. But your music that isn't in Apple Music can be played in Music, so you can still access your music in Music without subscribing to Apple Music.
That's music to my ears.

This overhaul has been long overdue, and I hope Apple gets it right. The company seems to be gradually transitioning away from the decades-old "I" moniker. I could see them eventually releasing an :apple: Phone instead of an iPhone.

ike1707

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
My only hope is that they don’t totally nerf the replacement products and remove all the audio codecs I use to convert my files. I never had much in the way of complaints about iTunes, and the matter what way you cut it, it was a powerful tool for music library management.
[doublepost=1559429683][/doublepost]
Yeah, even if they do it right, and I hope they do, I’m holding on to the last stable release of iTunes for compatibility reasons until it’s no longer practical.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA

Some publications/bloggers/YouTubers mis-reported the rumor as the iTunes Store shutting down. It was probably done intentionally as clickbait.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.