Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Wireless Keyboard shipping times have slipped to 1-2 weeks on the Apple Online Store in the United States, prompting speculation that Apple may refresh the keyboard in the near future. Meanwhile, the wireless keyboard is still listed as in stock or available to ship within 1 business day in the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia, so this could also be a regular fluctuation in stock on the U.S. storefront.

Apple-Wireless-Keyboard-1-to-2-Weeks-800x309.png
Images of an Apple Wireless Keyboard with backlight keys and a power button briefly appeared on the Apple Online Store in Czech Republic and Hungary last month, with an identical Arabic version appearing on the U.S. storefront. The addition of backlight controls on the F5 and F6 keys leads us to believe that Apple could be planning to release a new backlit wireless keyboard, although when remains unknown.

The current Apple Wireless Keyboard has gone largely unchanged since receiving a major redesign with an aluminum enclosure in August 2007. A revised two-battery model was released in October 2009 and became the standard keyboard that shipped with iMacs, and Apple updated the keyboard again in 2011 when it added a new label on the Exposé key and changed the Dashboard key to a Launchpad key.

Apple-Keyboard-Czech1-800x393.png
Apple Wireless Keyboard with backlight keys that briefly appeared on the Apple Online Store in Czech Republic and Hungary last month
A number of other Apple products have also seen their shipping times slip from "in stock" to "1 business day" on the Apple Online Store in the United States, including the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, iPhone, iPad Air, iPad mini and Apple TV. Many of those product lineups have been updated within the past six months, so supply constraints due to the Apple Watch is the more probable cause than something major.

Article Link: Apple Wireless Keyboard Now Ships in 1-2 Weeks, New Backlit Model Possible

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Wait, does it just have keys to control the backlit on a MacBook, or does it actually have backlit keys itself?

And does it come in Space Grey and Gold? That would be even better than backlit.

Oh, and don't forget a Force click Magic Trackpad.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wait, does it just have keys to control the backlit on a MacBook, or does it actually have backlit keys itself?

And does it come in Space Grey and Gold? That would be even better than backlit.

Oh, and don't forget a Force click Magic Trackpad.

All great ideas. Would love to see all that happen.

----------

one with black keys would also be nice.

And that should definitely be on the space gray version.

Amy Pond and me

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
Everywhere, everywhen
I'd rather had a newly-designed one, larger, heavier and with real keys. I find it intolerable having to bear a poor laptop keyboard in my desktop. And no, for non-English users there are not many Mac-compatible keyboards to substitute the original.

frozen220

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
I really wish they would come out with a wireless keyboard with numeric keypad. It's such a shame that we don't have that option.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Will buy one on day one. Using Apple BT keyboard right now, and I use the Rain stand, so the top part of my keyboard is dark in my room with low lights. I wish I had backlights. I use rechargeable batteries so not worried about power consumption, plus low watt LEDs.. good stuff. can't wait.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Has there ever been a keyboard update without an iMac update?

And a mouse/trackpad update? Maybe force touch?

For a major redesign, yea I think you're right that they only update when the iMac goes through a redesign itself.

But the current all aluminum design has gone through two minor updates since it was introduced (not redesigns). It's mentioned in the article. So since the new keyboard will keep it's all aluminum enclosure design, I think Apple will push ahead without waiting on the iMac.

Although I also personally would love to see Apple release a newly redesigned iMac as well. :)

Also I wonder if Apple will also update the chicklet keys to the new butterfly design from the new MacBook.

Last edited:

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Also, I've been emailing Tim Cook for the longest time to give us glass keys on MBP. I have a $2k beautiful 15" rMBP and 99% of the interaction I have with it comes by way of cheap plastic keys. Just think how nice glass keys would feel on your fingertips?

When I look at my MBP I only want to see aluminum and glass... everywhere. And I certainly don't want to touch plastic.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
I'm actually looking for a keyboard + trackpad that mimics a macbook but for a Mac Mini/Mac Pro. It's VERY convenient to have a trackpad that's on the same level as the keyboard but under the spacebar. I rarely have to move my right hand to switch between typing on a keyboard and moving the mouse.

This is one of the main reasons why I exclusively work on a Macbook as opposed to getting a mac pro/mac mini.

G-News

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Switzerland
Let's not hope the fact that the most popular models of the 15" MBP are sold out here in Switzerland means they'll be updated in a week either. Sold out before Easter, not expected to ship before April 17, currently.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
I'd rather had a newly-designed one, larger, heavier and with real keys. I find it intolerable having to bear a poor laptop keyboard in my desktop.

I actually lean the other way - if I'm stuck with a crappy modern laptop keyboard on my mac book I find I'd rather use the same on the desktop - least that way when I swap from one to the other I don't need to adjust to radically different key travels and feel.

That said I can def see where you're coming from - perhaps a nice full travel extended wireless keyboard for those that want decent keys like the keyboards of old, with the macbook style one for those of us who want consistency between desktop and portable (even if that's just consistently sucky lol).

Course with the retina macbook having a redesigned keyboard all of its own, they'd need a different desktop equivalent for that too :(

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Also, I've been emailing Tim Cook for the longest time to give us glass keys on MBP. I have a $2k beautiful 15" rMBP and 99% of the interaction I have with it comes by way of cheap plastic keys. Just think how nice glass keys would feel on your fingertips?

When I look at my MBP I only want to see aluminum and glass... everywhere. And I certainly don't want to touch plastic.

That's a great idea! It would have to be Sapphire and would add to the cost but the top of the line should be top of the line!! Yes, new MBP ,SKYLAKE processors, thinner, GOOOOLD body AND SAPPHIRE KEYS!!!!

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
That's a great idea! It would have to be Sapphire and would add to the cost but the top of the line should be top of the line!! Yes, new MBP ,SKYLAKE processors, thinner, GOOOOLD body AND SAPPHIRE KEYS!!!!

Glass would be cheaper and more sensible than sapphire, but it probably isn't the ideal typing surface.

Well cut and polished ceramic would feel really, really nice, but I'm not sure how much weight that would add.

Rorlow

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
Detroit, MI
I couldn't find a full size apple wireless keyboard so several years ago I found a new in box apple wired full size keyboard. It's a mainstay for my iMac because of all the excel worksheets i use. I use that and a apple trackpad.

Attachments

• apple-aluminum-keyboard.jpg
    apple-aluminum-keyboard.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 183

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Hoping for a Magic Trackpad with Force Touch. A big problem with with the Magic Trackpad is that it's very difficult to use it on non-flat surfaces - Force Touch solves this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.