Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Working on New Apple TV With Faster Processor and Remote Equipped With Find My

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on a new version of the Apple TV that includes an upgraded remote with Find My-like capabilities, reports Bloomberg. The tidbit was shared in a wider report on Apple's fall product launch plans.

Apple has been rumored to be working on an upgrade to the 4K Apple TV for some time, and it's been believed that the device could launch at any time, but Bloomberg says that the new set-top box might not ship until 2021.

Along with a faster processor for gaming, the upgraded Apple TV is expected to include a redesigned remote, which is something that we've heard in prior rumors. The new remote is said to have a feature similar to Find My iPhone, which would make a lost remote easier to locate within the house.

We don't know much else about the Apple TV from prior rumors, except that it might come with higher capacity 64 and 128GB storage options.

Bloomberg does not provide details on when the new Apple TV might launch in 2021, but given that signs of the device have been popping up in betas since January 2020, it could see a launch early in the year.

Article Link: Apple Working on New Apple TV With Faster Processor and Remote Equipped With Find My

mozumder

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Apple Remote easily the worst invention Apple has ever made. The entire problem is that it is never usable without looking at it. You need to look at it to know which way is up to use the touchpad. Meanwhile, every other remote in the world is usable without looking at it.

Holy crap did Apple completely fail at user experience design here..

Comment

jaworskimatt

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2019
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I've been waiting a LONG time for a new model,
The entire problem is that it is never usable without looking at it. You need to look at it to know which way is up

There are three separate buttons on the left, while on the right you have one small and one long button. You can feel if with your thumb - the long button is bottom right.

Comment

insomniac86

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
I've been waiting a LONG time for a new model,

There are three separate buttons on the left, while on the right you have one small and one long button. You can feel if with your thumb - the long button is bottom right.

That's only for the refreshed design which came out with the 4K version.
The Apple TV HD didn't have that feature.

EDIT: sorry I miss read. For a second I thought you were referring to the longer “higher/elevated” button that was introduced on the 4K remote.

Last edited:
Comment

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Maybe they could do a wii style remote with just motion and get rid of trackpad completely? And it could work in reverse so it didn’t matter the direction you point.

Aka LG remote with our first LG TV since 2011.....you just wave and point.

Apple is lucky that they have such nice hardware integration. Apple TV has such terrible user experience.

Comment

amartinez1660

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
Would this trigger a lawsuit of sorts that a TV Remote with auto-location (and many potential future gadgets for that matter such as the iPad pencil, AirPods, keyboards, etc from now on) is anticompetitive because Apple has access to all the tech they have made and it would make it impossible for other companies to make remotes with the exact same features?

On that /s note, I'm down for a new Apple TV with new remote.

Oh, and please don’t bring that white outlining on the button as when buying it separately... or at least make that another color.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.