Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

211414-mobileme.jpg

With the release of Beta 2 of iOS 4.3, it seems there is more evidence that Apple is working on integrating more social features to iOS. The first beta revealed evidence of a "Find My Friends" features for MobileMe that might provide users with real-time location data of their friends. In Beta 2, 9to5Mac points to findings of references to two new services called "Media Stream" and "Photo Streaming".
With Photo Streams, you will also be allowed to invite" other users to view your pictures as you take them and upload them to a service. This service looks like it is connected to MobileMe, and we speculate that “Media Stream” can be directly connected to “Find my Friends.” We think Find my Friends will be another aspect of Apple’s social network, a part of a free MobileMe, where you can choose to view your friends’ “Photo Streams” all on that same map.
The site speculates that this service could tie in with Apple's massive NC data center. There only appears to be scant evidence of the new features in the latest betas, so it's hard to know how close they are to completion. This along with "Find My Friends" references could point to a significant new social initiative for Apple.

In a previous email, Steve Jobs claimed that MobileMe would get "a lot better" in 2011.

Article Link: Apple Working on 'Photo Streaming' and Other Social Features in iOS?

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Let me guess, Wifi only?

Do people really deal with photos on an iPhone/iPod/iPad as much as Stevey thinks that do? Just curious.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Yea I never deal with photos, my iPad makes viewing photos awesome but I just don't have any, I bet some people do though.

Anyone got an pessimistic realistic and optimistic guess for the prices in MobileMe?

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
Yea I never deal with photos, my iPad makes viewing photos awesome but I just don't have any, I bet some people do though.

Anyone got an pessimistic realistic and optimistic guess for the prices in MobileMe?

free or bust, its just not worth paying for, the only thing id like to use mobile me for is contact groups, wich i cant understand why apple doesnt allow you to use from the start.

im not paying for that.

mKizzo

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
What happened to calling your friends to figure out where they are? At this rate we'll be using iPhones for everything OTHER than calling people... :D

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
free or bust, its just not worth paying for, the only thing id like to use mobile me for is contact groups, wich i cant understand why apple doesnt allow you to use from the start.

im not paying for that.

Good for you. I'm sure they will come up with a heavily burdened iAds version to keep your whining to a minimum.

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
Good for you. I'm sure they will come up with a heavily burdened iAds version to keep your whining to a minimum.

excuse me for complaining but the fact that apple would restrict something like contact groups from the iphone just to sell it for 79€ along with there mobileme service is laughable at best and pretty much sums up the usefullness of mobile me vs other alternatives.

bring the ads if thats what it takes to have a sub par service for free then.

like apple needs money to finance mobile me :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Let me guess, Wifi only?

Do people really deal with photos on an iPhone/iPod/iPad as much as Stevey thinks that do? Just curious.

I don’t know what Jobs thinks, but I know my iPhone is photo central for me :) And I feel sure that AT&T/Verizon won’t be able to get Apple to limit photo features to WiFi, since it’s you know... a camera, and you take it everywhere, and photos do not equal FaceTime calls. I upload photos to Meetup and other services all the time without WiFi. Works fine even in spotty coverage, since it’s not a video stream.

What I’m NOT interested is social networking. Or buddies. Or friends. I would like an Avoid My Friends feature :)

So I wouldn’t use that stuff much myself, but the features sound fun for those who would use them.

I don’t think they explain the data center though. I stand by my theory that its main function is to allow iPad ownership—and backup—without needing a computer as a companion.

(Not that people won’t have computers—although a few may not!—but that they won’t need to tie the computer and iPad together for vital functions like updates and backups. People will tie them together when and if it’s useful, not because they have to just to maintain an iPad.)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
The site speculates that this service could tie in with Apple's massive NC data center.

What can this data center not do? They must be very magical and revolutionary.

Maybe that's why Apple discontinued Xserve. They had to put them all in their data center! (honestly though, I know they didn't)

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I'm surprised it's taken this long. I thought you would be able to stream all of your media from your Mac to your iPad on a local network day one. There are apps available for this that even include streaming over the net, but Apple really needs to offer this built-in on iOS out of the box. Turn on your iPad/iPhone/iPod and see all of your pictures, movies and music sitting on your Mac instantly. I've been waiting for this.

toml1959

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2002
watch out

Facebook and Twitter. This isn't about just sharing pictures and video anymore, so I expect this to be part of a move into FB territory, don't you?

larryw

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
How about instead of adding new features they fix the ones they already have? Like sync problems that either duplicate or delete every record?

Time's money, MobileMe's not even worth "free".

apttap

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Facebook and Twitter. This isn't about just sharing pictures and video anymore, so I expect this to be part of a move into FB territory, don't you?

Yeah! Like a built in instagram. Which is all I have to say to you that doubt the usefulness of this feature.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009

im not paying for that.

Or you can pay few bucks to the developer of the app "Groups" to have your contact organised in groups.

Or you can set up your groups in Microsoft Outlook. Easy.

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
Or you can pay few bucks to the developer of the app "Groups" to have your contact organised in groups.

Or you can set up your groups in Microsoft Outlook. Easy.

1st, its should be native to ios.

2nd nice way to plug an app

3rd didnt know you could use outlook to make groups on the iphone. i shall check that out.

thanks

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
apple's steady march into social stuff. pretty soon you're going to have separate networks, one for apple people and one for other

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.