Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tembrock

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
Cosmos
Perhaps a tad cheaper too?

About 50% of it's current price would be about right. Too much of what it offers can be duplicated for free with other providers.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
I'm puzzled why people think MobileMe should be or will be free. Apple charges for it now. Why would they make it better and lower (in fact, eliminate) the price? It's a service, it costs them money to run, and like all of their other products it's worth the price for some of their Mac and iOS users. I hope they add new capabilities without raising the price but I don't think Apple is feeling competitive heat that will make them start giving away these services. Yeah, maybe "find my phone", but not the data storage and management services.

probably incorporate iad into it

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'm puzzled why people think MobileMe should be or will be free. Apple charges for it now. Why would they make it better and lower (in fact, eliminate) the price? It's a service, it costs them money to run, and like all of their other products it's worth the price for some of their Mac and iOS users. I hope they add new capabilities without raising the price but I don't think Apple is feeling competitive heat that will make them start giving away these services. Yeah, maybe "find my phone", but not the data storage and management services.

Because they keep linking features (syncing to Apple apps) that ought to be free, or covered in another purchase like your Mac, to MobileMe. It's those features that people want free, not the storage. I think reasonable people understand that storage costs money.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
As far as I know you can already chat with people on a Mac using Facetime...

Yes you can. But it is a beta. And right now a second app

I think what folks mean is that they hope, once it is finalized, that it will be melded into iChat as one app (which is likely) and that perhaps iChat will pick up some other chatting forms. So we can have one central program for all our needs. Rather than having to have a half dozen or more.

As for all this MobileMe feature stuff, I can understand why they are doing it. Facebook, twitter, Vimeo etc are all huge. And they pull folks away from Apple. If Apple can pull folks back in a little then it helps to make MobileMe more worth the price. And I think for the most part there will always be a price. Some features, perhaps with limits, might go to a free service but the bulk will always have some cost (although I do think they could lower it and be just fine)

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
Facebook and Twitter. This isn't about just sharing pictures and video anymore, so I expect this to be part of a move into FB territory, don't you?

I'd be a little surprised but definitely wouldn't object to apple moving in to (or over) their territory, I certainly trust steve more than zuckerberg who continuously gives our private information to anyone that pays for it without telling us ahead of time.

totallymario

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.