Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I think we got a leak from a future ex-Apple employee.

Or possibly we got a leak from someone posing as an Apple employee.

I do not think that Apple intentionally leaked something as obscure as this reference. For what point? To juice their already record stock price? To increase their unsolicited job application rate? If they want to poach from Tesla's battery division, they can just call the folks up directly and tell them, "We are working on battery tech and we believe we are doing it better, do you want to join?"

Also, everyone is working on battery technology. It is just super important for modern life. It is also super important to get off coal and oil dependence and shift to solar. Apple's R&D is impressive, but I don't know if they can plow this field in any particular novel way.

It is simple to suspect that someone talked who shouldn't have talked. It is far harder to imagine a cleverly crafted information dissemination plan (okayed at the highest levels of Apple's management) that hinged on a short email on a completely new subject.

I can more easily imagine a deliberate leak (for reasons we do not necessarily understand) than an employee sending out an unauthorized email about what Tim Cook had for lunch, let alone tipping Apple's hand on a future product.

----------

Yep. Of course people leak (see Mark Gurman) but they never out themselves as Apple employees.

Exactly. It's a hanging offense.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
As an engineer I can say I would rather work for a visionary like Musk than a beancounter like Cook.

Wow, that's strong.

Not saying I agree or disagree (as a pastor, I probably wouldn't be asked to work for either - haha), but your statement probably capsulizes what a lot of people are thinking.

Reminds me of the difference between Steve Jobs and John Sculley, clarified by Steve's incredible quote, "Do you want to sell sugared water for the rest of your life? Or do you want to come with me and change the world?"

----------

Tesla doesn't make spaceships as far as I know, and Apple is already building a "spaceship", so I guess it's a car.

Tesla doesn't, but SpaceX does

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Taking bets on how long before Samsung comes out with their own car?

Samsung CEO: I just heard Apple is working on a car, let's get it out before Apple does and we'll say Apple copied us!

Samsung Motors already came out with them in the 90's. They sold out controlling interest to Renault, I think.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I can more easily imagine a deliberate leak (for reasons we do not necessarily understand) than an employee sending out an unauthorized email about what Tim Cook had for lunch, let alone tipping Apple's hand on a future product.

----------

Exactly. It's a hanging offense.

Hmm...I'm skeptical that Apple PR would choose Business Insider as the publication to leak to. WSJ or Re/Code? Sure. BI? No.

----------

Wow, that's strong.

Not saying I agree or disagree (as a pastor, I probably wouldn't be asked to work for either - haha), but your statement probably capsulizes what a lot of people are thinking.

Reminds me of the difference between Steve Jobs and John Sculley, clarified by Steve's incredible quote, "Do you want to sell sugared water for the rest of your life? Or do you want to come with me and change the world?"

So basically what you're saying is when it comes to picking CEOs Steve Jobs was terrible at it. ;)

gramtrax

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
San Francisco, CA
First of all, it's still more stable than Android/Windows software/hardware, so let's not get your panties bunched up.

Who says Apple can't work on a new product AND fix any existing issues at the same time. Guess what, Google works on tons on stuff even though they have lots of issues with android/Google Plus, etc.

Yes, that's a valid point, but let's face it -- Apple doesn't have a great track record lately of giving any love to existing products like Apple TV *or* fixing bugs quickly. New products are great, but many of rely on this stuff daily and would appreciate some better QA from cupertino FIRST.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Hmm...I'm skeptical that Apple PR would choose Business Insider as the publication to leak to. WSJ or Re/Code? Sure. BI? No.

I don't think it's plausible necessarily, just a little less implausible than the story we are hearing.

As for connecting it to the mystery van, that's beyond a reach. That's a desperate dive for a line drive you ain't never gonna catch.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
The only projects that could justify that comment are a car or a spaceship.

Or the navigation system for a car or a spaceship.

Automotive design and manufacturing is way out of Apple's skill set and league. Go to a Tesla dealership and ask why CarPlay is not in their cars and you will get a lot of avoidiance of answers. This is rare for a company like Tesla.

My take is that Apple is referring to the automotive patent suite that Tesla has been willing to license for free. My predict is they're talking about CarPlay 2.0 with a lot better vehicle integration.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Don't get me wrong, I love Apple. But moving into the car business seems crazy. Let's focus on computer, tablet, and smartphone hardware and software that runs flawlessly...then we can branch out...to watches. :)

I just hate when people say, "Don't get me wrong" :rolleyes:, when the person doesn't even realize what they are saying.

Trust me, I didn't get you wrong. With your line of thinking technology will remain stagnant. Heaven forbid Apple doesn't try something new...for example getting people to buy music again when much of the world was downloading it for free. They definitely failed doing that. :p. Thank goodness you weren't the head of Apple instead of Steve Jobs.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
It will come in three colors, 4 or 6 cylinders, and seat 2 or 6

And everything will be glued together so you can't repair it.

It won't come with a steering wheel, nor other coventional controls. It will have only one button. This one button interface will work flawlessly, however the car only knows one particular way to drive to the destination. The destination data has to be uploaded via iTunes.

There won't be any doors or hatches to access the trunk (the lines would be a disruption to a seemingles design) and in order to load your supermarket bags you have to do it via the driver door (which in fact is the only door on the vehicle).

Passengers will sit behind each other from Version 2 of the car onwards, because they made the car thinner.

Its battery operated motor (charged via Lightning ports) will give a range of 50 miles because nobody needs a longer range anyway and a long journey would distract from the travel experience.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
As an engineer I can say I would rather work for a visionary like Musk than a beancounter like Cook.

Agreed. Anyone with the balls to launch a car company as well as building spaceships would be a great person to even be in the same room with.

While nothing against Cook (he's a very good bean counter), I do feel Apple have lost a bit of what made them special and different.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Let's see… Apple's directions (Maps) and battery life.. check, this is a home run!

jk.. interesting they're going outside of electronics, seemingly.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Will give Tesla a run for it's money???? In what? I doubt very much they are making an actual car so it's a very confusing statement to make? I guess the carplay system could be involved, but then why the van covered in camera's?

Hmm me think it's not a very exciting thing whatever it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.