Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
So I get that AppleCare+ on the S4 is $79 in full for 24 months or $3.99/month for up to 24 months (adds up to $96 over 24 months). Paid-in-full is the better deal, right? You can cancel the paid-in-full at anytime for a prorated refund. Am I missing something?

TScottTX

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
DFW TX
(b) If you cancel more than thirty (30) days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro rata refund of the original purchase price. The pro-rata refund is based on the percentage of unexpired Plan Term from the Plan’s date of purchase, less (a) a cancellation fee of twenty-five ($25) dollars or ten percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (b) the value of any benefits provided to you under the Plan.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
(b) If you cancel more than thirty (30) days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro rata refund of the original purchase price. The pro-rata refund is based on the percentage of unexpired Plan Term from the Plan’s date of purchase, less (a) a cancellation fee of twenty-five ($25) dollars or ten percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (b) the value of any benefits provided to you under the Plan.

I canceled mine more than 30 days after and wasn’t charged a cancellation fee.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The pro-rata refund is based on the percentage of unexpired Plan Term from the Plan’s date of purchase, less [...] (b) the value of any benefits provided to you under the Plan.

Therein lies the rub.

With the full-price AC+, if you use it then it seems you'd not see any refund. With the monthly, you're off the hook for further payments any time you choose to cancel.

Which makes more sense depends on your individual expectation of using the benefits. Now what exactly those benefits consist of other than the obvious accidental-damage and 2nd year hardware warranty, I don't know. Does the phone support past 90 days represent a benefit that'd be deducted from an AC+ refund?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I did, too, and wasn't, either.
[doublepost=1539172056][/doublepost]
Therein lies the rub.

With the full-price AC+, if you use it then it seems you'd not see any refund. With the monthly, you're off the hook for further payments any time you choose to cancel.

Which makes more sense depends on your individual expectation of using the benefits. Now what exactly those benefits consist of other than the obvious accidental-damage and 2nd year hardware warranty, I don't know. Does the phone support past 90 days represent a benefit that'd be deducted from an AC+ refund?

That's an interesting point, though for myself the cost:benefit analysis of potentially higher total cost vs. the likelihood of an offset or total loss of prorated refund if I used the benefits is probably unknowable. My only data point is that last year I had AC+ on an aluminum watch and never used it, but accidents are by definition random. Still on the fence about buying AC+ this year for my new S4 AW.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I can't see a reason to cancel AC on a watch. I get it on the phone... but then I cancel it the following year as I always get a new phone. (I got $98 back this year for a phone I used less than a year since we didn't get them til November.)

but for the watch it's a no-brainer for me to just pay the full amount.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
If you're trading in a S3 to buy an S4, why wouldn't you cancel AC on the S3?

ahhhh OK.... didn't think about it that way since I've had both of my other watches for well over 2 years.... but yes... if you were to trade in a 3, then you'd get a refund....

Right now I plan to keep both of my 4's for at least a couple of years.....

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I did, too, and wasn't, either.
[doublepost=1539172056][/doublepost]

That's an interesting point, though for myself the cost:benefit analysis of potentially higher total cost vs. the likelihood of an offset or total loss of prorated refund if I used the benefits is probably unknowable. My only data point is that last year I had AC+ on an aluminum watch and never used it, but accidents are by definition random. Still on the fence about buying AC+ this year for my new S4 AW.

I’m in the exact same boat.. had S2 with Apple care for 2 years, never used it. Debating this year if it’s worth it. With the watch being such an easily banged device, it makes me nervous.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I’m in the exact same boat.. had S2 with Apple care for 2 years, never used it. Debating this year if it’s worth it. With the watch being such an easily banged device, it makes me nervous.

That's what I thought, but in a year (two, if you count my wife's ownership), no dings, dents, scratches or shattering.

OTOH, I just returned my S4 Sport for an S4 SS, and maybe because the $79 is a lower % of the retail price I'm thinking about that again.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
What's preventing the extreme case of adding the monthly AppleCare plan, using an incident and immediately canceling within a month, which would cost $73 total ($69 incident + $4 monthly cost)? I don't see anything in the T&S specifically outlining, or preventing, this scenario.

Obviously, replacement/fix watch wouldn't be covered if cancelled but full payment ($80) is less expensive by only four $4 payments. So if you use up the 2 incident limit before 20 months, you'd come out ahead with monthly payment plan.

And looks like you get no refund if you cancel monthly plan but any incidents would get deducted from cancelling the full plan anyways.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplusnaen.html

8.2 Monthly Pay Plans

You may cancel this Plan at any time for any reason. If you purchased a Monthly Pay Plan from any seller other than Apple directly (a “Reseller”), contact the Reseller to cancel your Plan. If you purchased a Monthly Pay Plan from Apple, you may cancel by notifying Apple with your Plan Agreement Number and original proof of purchase. Notices to Apple should be made by postal mail to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714-9125, U.S, by facsimile to 916-405-3973 or by calling Apple. Unless applicable local law provides otherwise, if you have made advance payments, cancellation will be deferred until midnight on the last day of the month for which the last monthly payment was paid. Your failure to timely and fully make any monthly payment will be deemed an expression of your intent to cancel your Plan consistent with the schedule described in this section.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

Are you sure....? Its 10% of the refund amount so you might not have noticed.

I pushed back on them but they would not waive.

BTW...you'll get no refund if you had any type of service done.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Are you sure....? Its 10% of the refund amount so you might not have noticed.

I pushed back on them but they would not waive.

BTW...you'll get no refund if you had any type of service done.

It’s possible. I got it on my Series 3 for $49 back in June, and then got back $39.30 from the refund just over a week ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.