AppleCare Protection Plan - problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gray19lfc, Nov 13, 2010.

1. gray19lfc macrumors newbie

I've bought an AppleCare Protection Plan for my 13" MacBook Pro from Toshcomputers on eBay. I've called Apple today to try and activate it because my original one year warranty expired about two weeks ago and because I've been on vacation, I missed the "deadline" to activate my plan, so I thought if I explained the situation over the phone, Apple would sort everything out.

I gave the guy the activation code but he's saying I need to e-mail my receipt for the AppleCare to dop_change@euro.apple.com but I purchased it on eBay so I don't have a receipt.

Does anybody know what I should do?

Thanks

2. rkaufmann87, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010

rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Request a sales receipt from the seller otherwise you're hosed.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Even if OP does, it's almost guaranteed that agreement admin won't accept it. eBay is NOT an Apple reseller. It's worth a try but there's a very slim chance that they will activate your AppleCare.

4. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Have someone else call and be blatant about their intentions. Explain that they are attempting to activate AppleCare purchased from Ebay. If they are adamant about not accepting it, then you call back with best lie you can conjure about the reason for the missing receipt. If that fails, let it go. It's your own fault on several fronts. First, buying AppleCare off Ebay. Second, not activating AppleCare in a timely fashion. Not judging, I know, **** happens.

5. ayres macrumors regular

i haven't seen or heard that phrase since the 90s!

6. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

things do NOT look good for you, my friend. Sorry to hear that, and I wish I had a bright idea for you..

7. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Despite all the warnings on various forums, people still buy Applecare from ebay sellers. IMHO, it's better just to buy warranties from actual credible sources than deal with the headaches.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Absolutely! There are enormous numbers of warnings about all forms of scams and yet people still fall for them! I think the big reason is plain and simple: greed.

9. toshcomputers, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010

toshcomputers macrumors member

toshcomputers

This is the most absurd thing I ever heard. (a) Apple will accept a purchase receipt from any seller, regardless of whether they are an Apple dealer or not, because they must do so under anti-trust legislation(and we have a written confirmation from Apple to that effect on file); (b) the first thing you do when you have a problem with Apple is to contact your seller, so that they can sort this out. Toshcomputers gives a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and if your Applecare does not register, you get a full refund.

Now, if you buy an AppleCare warranty and you do not register it while your original AppleCare is still in effect (as clearly described in the eBay listing that ToshComputers provides), then there is nothing they can do.

If Apple then refuses to register your Applecare they are completely correct (and no receipt from anyone will change that), as by the terms of AppleCare you can only register AppleCare when your original warranty is still valid.

This shouldn't be too hard...

This is nonsense. No one ever buys from eBay. You might buy from a seller who posts on eBay, but eBay is never the seller. The seller is the company or individual you buy from, through eBay, and companies like ToshComputers always provide a receipt/invoice which you use as a proof of purchase.

You are trying to register a product that you are not allowed to register because Apple's terms and conditions are that AppleCare can only be added when your original Applecare warranty is still in effect... This would have been clearly stated on the listing for the product, and if Apple were to register your AppleCare it would be a courtesy and not by your right. It has nothing to do with your Applecare product.

This is like buying a movie ticket and then not being in time to watch the show. If you come a week later and want to see the movie, they'll turn you away. It has nothing to do with the quality of the movie ticket you bought originally.

And is there any information that would allow you to conclude that this buyer has fallen for a 'scam'? All I have heard is that he slept through the deadline of his AppleCare registration, and didn't contact the seller to get help. If there is anything else you know, I would be delighted to hear it...

10. millerb7, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Folks, I have NEVER even heard of Toshcomputers, nor ever bought anything from them... but... I have to say this...

THIS MAN IS 95% CORRECT!!!!!!!! (SEE EDIT FOR REASON OF 95%)

I have purchased applecare off ebay, worked 100% of the time no issues. The entire issue here, and I'm sorry to say it... you are going against apples ToS now that you waited UNTIL AFTER your original 1 year warranty expired. You even said it right in the original post. That my friend, and again, I'm sorry, is your ONLY mistake in this entire endeavor.

Had you added the warranty while you were still covered, apple accepts them no matter what. I have NEVER had an issue doing this. But it is APPLES, not Toshcomputers, rules that you are now violating by adding AFTER your 1 year original manufacturer's warranty.

Again, I have NO connection with toshcomputers at all, never even heard of the guy before until this post.

Just hate to see a guy getting bashed by an uninformed buyer. Again, I mean no disrespect... but the information is out there for the having, you just have to look.

EDIT:

So after some looking around, it seems in October Apple changed their policy about applecare. You have to provide "proof of purchase" OR the serial number from the outside of the box. It seems most of the ebay sales are now providing you with the serial number from the outside of the box along with shipping you the box for proof of purchase. I haven't bought since October so was originally unaware of this. So I would say that toshcomputers would need to at least give you the serial number off the box... but, the same issue still stands. You waited until outside your original warranty, which is Apple's rule and they stand hard by it normally. If he provided you with proof of purchase and or serial number, then he did all he can. It used to be all you needed was the code emailed to you, which apparently no longer is the case as of October.

EDIT #2

As of early October apple has changed their policies regarding applecare, No longer can you register applecare with simply a code that everyone is selling on eBay. You must have either a proof of purchase from an authorized apple re-seller (who apple does not allow to sell on eBay) or the serial number on the outside of the sealed box as proof of purchase.

The paragraph above is what I'm seeing on all the ebay sellers pages that I have bought applecare from. All of them carry 100% feedback, and it has worked for me 100% in the past... before October that is. They of course did not have this on their pages when i purchased but they have updated to carry this paragraph now.... which shows that in my eyes, you can trust them. But it seems to be pretty widely accepted that the policy was changed in October.

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

On vacation? I guess you were pressed for time.

Not sure what you need to do but you're one of the reasons my mac costs so much. I respectfully hope they deny your late arse.

12. toshcomputers macrumors member

toshcomputers

Correct, after October you can only register AppleCare if you have one of the new (number/letter combination) AppleCare codes that only come in boxes. That is why hundreds of AppleCare code sellers vanished overnight, because they do not have access to Apple product and thus cannot source AppleCare retail boxes. Lord knows where they got their Applecare codes from before...

The result is that the prices for Applecare have increased and only few sellers in the world outside of Apple remain, who can source and sell the new Applecare boxes.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I wouldn't speculate or chastise. There are a lot of people who leave the country for a year or more at a time due to public service and can not talk about it.

14. millerb7, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010

millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Now that I backed you up... do I get a discount ;)

I'm gonna need 2 of them here soon! LOL

But yea, I mean I checked into toshcomputers on ebay, he has 100% feedback rating, I don't see anything fishy about what he's doing.

Best I can tell the OP just forgot about the due date VIA APPLE (original warranty) and now it's past the date. You can hardly blame that on toshcomputers.

Okay, so this has been bothering me, so I have to ask.

How do you have a 128GB SSD from OWC? They don't make one.

15. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Not to mention I have no idea what he's talking about regarding Apple Care.

16. NickZac, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010

NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The OWC is 128 GB but listed as 120 as the 8gb is allocated for wear leveling, redundancy, error correcting, etc; but the actual drive itself is 128GB. So it's really just the individual who chooses to list it one way versus another; I guess I am used to HDD's as I didn't even think about it until you pointed it out.

17. toshcomputers macrumors member

toshcomputers

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

then you stumbled into the wrong thread ...

he missed registering his AC within time allowed and is now bummed that he may not be covered. :cool:

19. toshcomputers macrumors member

toshcomputers

That about describes it quite succinctly. I do like the argument above that people might have leave the country for public service needs - it's a novel idea to hold a manufacturer responsible for personal circumstances. But even in Afghanistan there is access to internet from a base and Applecare can be registered in less than 2 minutes...

20. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I am not saying the company is or is not responsible as that is not a call for me (or anyone here) to make, my point here is that we do NOT know that person's specific circumstances and therefore, telling him 'I hope you don't get a warranty' is not cool; what if he were to respond "I was hit by a car and was in a coma until last week". Odds of that? Minimal, but you get my point.

And if we are worried about the increasing price of Mac's and their warranty, then as opposed to scaring people off by treating new members poorly, help them so that more MBP's are sold and therefore the production costs fall and the end user saves. Also, the more MBP's that are sold, the more incentive developers have to make Mac compatible products.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

He was not hit by a car ... he was on Vacation and forgot to renew his AC

wish we could help him with more than condolences :cool:

22. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Guess you didn't read the forum here before you bought it. Many have gotten screwed and say to not buy from EBAY anymore.

23. toshcomputers macrumors member

toshcomputers

You seem to have a curious ability to ignore the obvious. This is not an issue of where the Applecare plan was purchased. This is an issue of not complying with the Apple terms by attempting to register AppleCare after the original warranty had expired.

There is no problem in purchasing Applecare from reputable dealers that list on eBay, if they sell Apple-sealed original boxes, but there is a problem with Apple if a customer ignores their requirements to add the extended warranty no later than at the end of the original warranty... Just look at the thousands of positive feedback from buyers on eBay who purchased original AppleCare boxes and everything worked fine for them.

24. nizmoz macrumors 65816

No you seem to be. MANY including myself have purchased Apple Care from EBAY in the past and later found out it GOT DENIED because they wanted a RECEIPT or the BOX Serial # which we had neither because they won't accept EBAY receipts and the sellers normally don't send out the BOX.

The point is, people can not expect to buy Applecare on ebay and have coverage as APPLE is cracking down on this now.

25. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You're right but you're not looking at the bigger picture. Yes, I can go out and by AppleCare from average Joe on the street and activate within the first year of ownership of a Mac, no problem. The problem is after the one year and that's what the people on this forum are saying. IF you buy AppleCare from an authorized Apple reseller, AppleCare should still be activated within the limited one-year warranty period but if it isn't that is not a problem, Apple will still activate the AppleCare even if you're in the final year of AppleCare as long as you can provide some sort of proof of purchase.

OP's problem is that he can't provide proper proof of purchase. Now if Toshcomputers IS an authorized reseller (highly doubt it), then proper proof could be provided and OP should be ok.

That's everyone's problem with buying from eBay, it's risk/reward. You can't provide any proof if anything were to happen. Unfortunately for OP, he or she is out of AppleCare.