Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gartner has published a preliminary report on U.S. and worldwide PC shipments for the first quarter of 2008. According to Gartner's numbers, Apple placed fourth in U.S. marketshare at 6.6%, up from 5.2% in the first quarter of 2007. Apple's U.S. shipments increased 32.5% year-over-year, far outpacing the total industry shipment growth of 3.0%

184551-gartner_1Q08_us.png

Apple did not place in the top 5 vendors for worldwide PC shipments, where Toshiba held the fifth spot with a 4.3% market share. Worldwide, overall PC shipments grew by 12.3% year-over-year.

Previous Gartner reports had placed Apple with a 6.1 % U.S. market share for the fourth quarter of 2007, and 8.1% U.S. market share for the third quarter of 2007. Apple's numbers for the back-to-school third quarter traditionally benefit from its strong educational presence.

Article Link

peterlobl

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Philadelphia
should be good news for AAPL stock... :)

surprised DELL doing so well, srtrong growth-I have to see how they rate worldwide....
interesting that Acer taking a dip - i guess all those $399 celeron notebooks at MicroCenter are gathering non-internet web

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

surprised DELL doing so well, srtrong growth-I have to see how they rate worldwide....

That surprised me too - the last 5 Dells we bought at work all had problems within a month and the last 10 out of 10 service calls Dell replaced the problem with another bad part.

I guess there's a sucker born every minute...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Of even more interest, if you back out Apple's sales, the industry as a whole grew only 1.4% year-over-year. Looked at another way, Apple is responsible for over half of the entire industry's growth during this period!

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Well if Apple can keep it up, they'd be THIRD by next year, which is pretty big. AND by 2010, Apple may crack 10% market share, another huge milestone.

Not bad for a company with overpriced hardware and minimal corporate presence.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
interesting that Acer taking a dip - i guess all those $399 celeron notebooks at MicroCenter are gathering non-internet web

The report says that Acer's volume has suffered as they're reorienting this to shift their target market to the mid-range. Remember also that they acquired Gateway last year, so I'm sure things are still shaking out for them.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Of even more interest, if you back out Apple's sales, the industry as a whole grew only 1.4% year-over-year. Looked at another way, Apple is responsible for over half of the entire industry's growth during this period!
Uh, no. You are going off of numbers already proportioned for the size of Apple's numbers (% of apple growth). Overall growth of the industry was not affected by Apple that much. Do the math with the actual units shipped and you come to a lower percentage overall vs using the % that Apple grew.

Yes, they still did well. No bashing necessary.

Get the Macs into Wal Mart and and they will be on top just like Dell. :D
That'd be depressing. I don't need to see my computer in a wal mart. ><

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Looked at the same way, Dell is responsible for a further 130%. Hmm. Interesting maths conundrum there. :)

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA

past performance means zilch when it comes to stock. its all about FUTURE performance. how well does Apple expect to do NEXT quarter? That will tell you how well Apple's stock will do.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.

Nope, not quite. Apple itself gained 1.4% (to the overall market's 3.0%) -- but Apple ≠ entire market, it is a small percent of the market. For example:

Red, Blue, Green = 100 units in 2007
Red=95
Blue=4
Green=1

Red, Blue, Green = 120 units in 2008 (20% increase over 2007)
Red=115 (up 21%)
Blue=2 (down 50%)
Green=3 (up 300%)

Green marketshare in 2008 was 300% of 2007. That means that it outpaced the market, but it does NOT mean that it contributed more to the market gain -- because its percentage of the overall market share is lower.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Uh, no. You are going off of numbers already proportioned for the size of Apple's numbers (% of apple growth). Overall growth of the industry was not affected by Apple that much. Do the math with the actual units shipped and you come to a lower percentage overall vs using the % that Apple grew.><

No, I think my number is correct. I subtracted Apple's unit sales from both quarters. Without Apple, the rest of the PC industry grew 1.4%; with it, 3.0%. Of course, if you did the same thing with Dell's big numbers, the industry's growth would have been negative, so the impact of looking at them separately would be even more dramatic.

peterlobl

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Philadelphia
past performance means zilch when it comes to stock. its all about FUTURE performance. how well does Apple expect to do NEXT quarter? That will tell you how well Apple's stock will do.

very true - well at least it should be just that..
at earnings report next week, if they blow past Q1 est's, which it now seems they will (if iphone/ipod are in-line) people will jump on-board again

a herd-mentality driven stock; it really shouldn't have plummeted so low so fast - if it deserved to be driven near $200 to begin with.

if foreign sales are doing well (which aren't broken down in this report), then the heights will get dizzying

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Suspicious

Numbers look suspicious to me...

2% market loss from 3rd to 4th quarter last year? Going into xmas, you'd think it would be a 2% gain!!!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Numbers look suspicious to me...

2% market loss from 3rd to 4th quarter last year? Going into xmas, you'd think it would be a 2% gain!!!

As noted, Apple historically does very well in the third quarter due to their popularity in the education market. Third quarter is the time for back-to-school sales in the U.S., so it's always a big quarter for Apple.

In 2006, Apple spiked from 4.6% in Q2 to 6.2% in Q3 and then back down to 5.1% in Q4. There are certainly fluctuations, but the general trend continues to be upward.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
What colour is "unconvinced"? I am that colour.

Without Apple, the industry's unit sales increased year-over-year by 197,000 units. Add in Apple, and it increased by 445,000 units, because Apple's sales increased during the period by 248,000 units, which is more than the rest of the PC industry combined. The numbers are right there in the table, FWIW.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Without Apple, the industry's unit sales increased year-over-year by 197,000 units. Add in Apple, and it increased by 445,000 units, because Apple's sales increased during the period by 248,000 units, which is more than the rest of the PC industry combined. The numbers are right there in the table, FWIW.

Nope, you are still confounding the numbers. Try the same thing with Dell. Without Dell, the industry increased year-over-year by 204,000 units. Dell increased during the period with 649,000 units.

MacConvert07

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2008
Upstate NY
Get the Macs into Wal Mart and and they will be on top just like Dell. :D

yeah, let's sell bmw's at ford dealerships too! I don't even like seeing iPods at bestbuy. I can't imagine mac's at chinamart would have a positive effect on the brand apple has created. Stay the course apple. Maybe if all of us who know and love apple products did a better job convincing our friends and families of the worth of said products we could see a marketshare report with apple at no. 3 or better. Ouch! The truth hurts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.