Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
My Observations...

1. I don't think I've ever seen an Acer laptop/computer anywhere besides on display at Best Buy...

2. Dell is going strong because they completely overhauled their lineup. It isn't half bad, especially the XPS line, with the M1330 and 1530.

3. Vista doesn't seem to have had any effect in Mac or PC shipments... Not surprising, people like to blow Vista's problems out of proportion.

4. The article keeps switching from worldwide stats and U.S. stats. They say Apple didn't make the top 5 worldwide, and then shows a U.S. graph, where Apple places 4th.

5. Does anyone have statistics for Apple's worldwide shipments/market share?

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
I just farted really loud just now.

Wow acer beat apple, acers is such a piece of crap machine an dont get me started on DELL. Come on apple.:apple::eek:

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
I'm glad to see Dell doing so well, I've had computers from apple, acer, HP, Packard Bell (yes those still exist over here) and the Dell is the only one that I have never had any problems with.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
2007Q3: 8.1%
2007Q4: 6.1%
2008Q1: 6.6%

I call that a drop.

But you can't compare to the previous quarter because different times of year cause higher or lower sales, back to school and the holiday period for example.

So you should always compare to the same quarter from the previous year.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
2007Q3: 8.1%
2007Q4: 6.1%
2008Q1: 6.6%

I call that a drop.

Not really - the quarter on quarter comparisons are higher so the trend is upwards. However, there are a few things that are worth pointing out:

1) Apple launched a new product line - the Air - in Q1. What impact has this had on overall sales - that is, what are the raw product numbers by model?
2) High growth on small sales volumes looks impressive but we need to understand where Apple's market saturation point is - the assumption that Apple will grow in a linear fashion may not be true because it may be exhausting its buying segment.

The results are good but without the answer to 1) it's hard to analyse them properly.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What colour is "unconvinced"? I am that colour.

Apple grew from 762 to 1010, that is 248. Whole industry grew from 14776 to 15221, that is 445. Whole industry without Apple grew from 14014 to 14211, that is 197. So "whole industry except Apple" grew about 1.4 percent.

You were doing so well until that last sentence. Dell's growth had a far greater influence on "the industry overall".

I am not sure if Dell's growth had any influence on the industry at all. PC makers are usually quite exchangeable. If you are in the shop, and you have a Dell, HP, and Acer computer in front of you (I know Dell doesn't sell in stores), if you pick a Dell that is nice for Dell, but doesn't affect the industry.

peterlobl

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Philadelphia
Halo/Pitchfork Effect

Nokia has released their Q1 results.. and are they disappointing investors.. as of this AM its stock has tumbled 12% premarket!!

The average selling price is dropping as they make volume inroads into developing countries/continents, yet their worldwide share has managed to drop a full percent... then when asked if they have any new products to unveil in Q2, the CEO said no.

This is the beauty of AAPL's strategy... and it frankly has led me (and I imagine many others) back to their higher-cost/higher-profit computer products.

Care must be taken to get too big, too fast, too inexpensively - ah that fine line to have people pay more for value, perceived or otherwise.

A techno-luxus for the millions of us

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
I am not sure if Dell's growth had any influence on the industry at all. PC makers are usually quite exchangeable. If you are in the shop, and you have a Dell, HP, and Acer computer in front of you (I know Dell doesn't sell in stores), if you pick a Dell that is nice for Dell, but doesn't affect the industry.

Not sure if that's a valid comparison. If we split things by brand then we need to do it properly - Dell's share had decreased and now it's gone up. Was that due to price or branding or marketing or product? We can't exclude Apple on one facet of selection (OS) and not do so for other criteria.

I'd also point out that we're having some discussion on percentage growth which isn't really valid if the sample sizes differ so radically What is valid here is absolute growth - i.e. number of new customers to a particular brand.

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
I use to swear by DELL. However, I recently had a DELL D820 Notebook for work. The keyboard was horrible. Not only did it have a cheap feel, the keys popped off easily. I do think HP has solid notebooks, but I can see why Apple is gaining ground...

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Nokia has released their Q1 results.. and are they disappointing investors.. as of this AM its stock has tumbled 12% premarket!!

The average selling price is dropping as they make volume inroads into developing countries/continents, yet their worldwide share has managed to drop a full percent... then when asked if they have any new products to unveil in Q2, the CEO said no.

This is the beauty of AAPL's strategy... and it frankly has led me (and I imagine many others) back to their higher-cost/higher-profit computer products.

Care must be taken to get too big, too fast, too inexpensively - ah that fine line to have people pay more for value, perceived or otherwise.

A techno-luxus for the millions of us

I think you're reading far too much into Nokia's figures. They still grew sales by 25% over the equivalent last quarter and their market is huge, encompassing all sectors. As for new products, that means they won't be announcing new products in Q2, it's not the same as saying they won't launch any - the N96 should go on sale quite shortly, for example.

What we need to understand is if this is an indicator of the overall global economic slowdown or if it's just specific to Nokia. Apple's results and number of iPhone sales should cast some clarity on this.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
But you can't compare to the previous quarter because different times of year cause higher or lower sales, back to school and the holiday period for example.

So you should always compare to the same quarter from the previous year.

no, why? im comparing the shipping market shares, not shipping #s, its apple against others, not apple against itself in this comparison?

I think comparison of same Q of each year is to check the growth of the company itself, not to compare against other companies. Did I not get this right?:confused:

Electrolytic

Suspended
Mar 8, 2008
It amazes me how much Dell is still growing.
I've never heard a consumer positively review a Dell.
If I were to buy a name-brand PC, I'd definitely go HP.

I & family members have had many Dell pc's, I can't think of none that had any quality issues....That's about 8 pc's over the last three years...

However would not buy a HP, they don't even give you a backup of the os so you can wipe out all the bloatware sw they install...

Electrolytic

Suspended
Mar 8, 2008
I use to swear by DELL. However, I recently had a DELL D820 Notebook for work. The keyboard was horrible. Not only did it have a cheap feel, the keys popped off easily. I do think HP has solid notebooks, but I can see why Apple is gaining ground...

I don't think it the quality of the other pc mfg for the reason Apple is gaining ground it's Vista.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You were doing so well until that last sentence. Dell's growth had a far greater influence on "the industry overall".

I think you don't follow my point. Dell's huge growth essentially offset Acer's big drop. The net impact on the Windows PC market as a whole is effectively a wash. These companies appear to be trading market share within a Windows PC market which is expanding almost not at all. The Windows market grew at 1.4% during this period and the Mac market grew by over 32%. That big difference is the take-away from this story, IMO.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I do know what your point is, but then you use a phrase like "the industry as a whole" and muddy the waters again. Whether or not Windows-equipped computer makers are trading market share in an essentially static Windows-equipped market segment, you cannot deny that Dell's 600,000+ increase has more of an effect on "the industry as a whole" than Apple's 200,000+ increase. Clearly, the shift between market segments is pronounced, and is due to the increased Mac sales, but without the Dell increase, the "industry as a whole" would have shrunk rather than expanded.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Only that you seem intent on confusing the issue of market share with that of market size.

Remarkable. I've explained what I meant. You can either accept my point or not, it doesn't matter to me either way. And while antagonism might seem like good sport to you, please understand that I have absolutely no patience for it. I'm not going to play.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Remarkable. I've explained what I meant. You can either accept my point or not, it doesn't matter to me either way. And while antagonism might seem like good sport to you, please understand that I have absolutely no patience for it. I'm not going to play.
Goodness, can't one have a light-hearted civil discussion here any more without being accused of antagonism? Remarkable indeed.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Let's all get along!

Skunk and JJ, you are both correct but just arguing from a different perspective

JJ measures the impact on the industry by the paradigm change from Windows to OSX.

Skunk you measure the impact on the industry by the dollars and cents of growth or loss by the industry.

Both are correct interpretations of the numbers but with a different priority placed on what constitutes "industry impact".

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
JJ measures the impact on the industry by the paradigm change from Windows to OSX.
Real number is what I prefer, with such a small market share, sure the growth number can be big, that doesn't equal to "industry" impact.

China's population is 1.5b, India is >1b, even if their growth rate is 1%, vs 0% in EU, they still produce massive impact.

Acer grew 130% last year.. still small.

Nov 6, 2007
Good news. What is probably backing Dell right now is all the corporate contracts. A lot of companies switched away from other "PC"'s to Dell.
MacConvert07
macrumors newbie

Originally Posted by chewbaccacabra
Get the Macs into Wal Mart and and they will be on top just like Dell.

yeah, let's sell bmw's at ford dealerships too! I don't even like seeing iPods at bestbuy. I can't imagine mac's at chinamart would have a positive effect on the brand apple has created. Stay the course apple. Maybe if all of us who know and love apple products did a better job convincing our friends and families of the worth of said products we could see a marketshare report with apple at no. 3 or better. Ouch! The truth hurts.
iPod nano 8GB (Feb. 2008)

Interstingly enough, since Dell started selling at Wally-world - all the Dell Kiosks have been pulled out of the malls (atleast here in NC). Are they hoping that selling at Wal-Mart would give them more sales than their kiosks. However I seen the specs on those and they are a little lower but about $200 more than the cheaper Acer/Toshiba units sitting next to them.

Things are getting interesting. I know more people want macs and everyone I spoke with is converting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.