Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
I think you were thinking about last month's survey saying Apple has 14% of US retail PC shares.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._of_us_based_pc_retail_sales_in_february.html

I believe the retail market is only 20-30% of the total pc market (i.e. companies buy up 70-80% of the pc's sold).

The NPD data from that article you are referring to is better than this current data since it measures consumer retail computer sales only, but it still has many problems. First of all, it only covers certain brick and mortar retail stores.. it DOES NOT include sales from online websites like Dell.com or Apple.com. Secondly, it makes no attempt to breakdown sales into pricing segments.
I want to see Apple's market-share versus PC manufacturers in consumer-only computer sales divided into different pricing segments, since most of Apple's computer product line lies in the upper end of the market. It would also be interesting to see more detailed demographic statistics from that data, like Apple's market-share among "computer enthusiasts", percentage of sales are to "switchers", and longer term data about Apple's push into the education sector is creating long-term buyers out of highschool and College kids.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Really? That'll be news to the millions of people in corporations who still use Access for small database manipulation whilst using it also as a front end for SQL Server, etc.

Millions of people also do not eat anything besides rice, but that still doesn't make it good food. They just cannot afford anything more expensive. Likewise; many corporations still rely on systems designed +20 years ago for variable reasons, but that doesn't make it optimal situation.

Access is going away, mark my words for it.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Millions of people also do not eat anything besides rice, but that still doesn't make it good food. They just cannot afford anything more expensive. Likewise; many corporations still rely on systems designed +20 years ago for variable reasons, but that doesn't make it optimal situation.

But the reality is that it's still used by millions and not natively supported on a Mac. Therefore Windows based PCs - or Macs running Windows - are the only option for people who use it a lot.

Access is going away, mark my words for it.

Probably. That doesn't solve the immediate - and by immediate I mean for the next 5 years or so - issues.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Why would it be a huge problem? You can always export data out of one system and import into another. It's not like people would email Access databases to one another every now and then. Databases are not as portable as Word documents in any circumstance.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Why would it be a huge problem? You can always export data out of one system and import into another. It's not like people would email Access databases to one another every now and then. Databases are not as portable as Word documents in any circumstance.

Because it's entrenched and it's often used as a front end for access to the likes of Oracle or SQL databases. Plus it's handy when you're on the move.

Look, I'm not justifying they why, I'm just pointing out the way the land lies at the moment - a lot of people use Access and you can't run it natively on a Mac.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Because it's entrenched and it's often used as a front end for access to the likes of Oracle or SQL databases. Plus it's handy when you're on the move.

Look, I'm not justifying they why, I'm just pointing out the way the land lies at the moment - a lot of people use Access and you can't run it natively on a Mac.

Why is that an issue thought with rootless virtualization? They can just plug access right into the dock and not even know how it works...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.