Apple's 2018 iPhone Lineup May Include Second-Generation iPhone SE

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 2, 2018.

1. BrooksA macrumors newbie

iPhone X is almost three times the price of an SE. You can have an SE for its current price or an X mini for a great deal more. Which do you want?

2. LotusLord macrumors 6502a

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    While I personally wouldn't switch to the smaller form factor again, I would love to see it as I know a few people due for upgrades that won't pay the full prices for flagship phones.

3. BrennanWDavis macrumors newbie

BrennanWDavis

I think they do that to keep the price competitive. The people who want the smaller phone are also probably more cost-conscious than the iPhone X owners.

4. Martyimac, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

I can't answer for @colbertnation but I wouldn't be able to answer that question until I knew all the details about a "X mini". But i am intrigued by the idea.

5. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

I think appealing on two fronts to people who want a smaller device and people who want a cheaper device is probably what makes the model economically viable - I don’t think there would be enough demand for just a ‘smaller X’ at near full price, generally larger phones are more popular.

6. fourthtunz macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

And that's why Harrison left for New England! HEH

7. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

I'm reading the original source article (linked below) in Chinese. Any English language website including MacRumors is simply parroting Chinese content. MacRumors writers can't read Chinese so they can't translate anything properly.

The first time the $450 price point was mentioned was in the article below. It mentions India, Indonesia, and SE Asia as the target markets.

http://cens.com/cens/html/en/news/news_inner_50883.html

8. fpsBeaTt Suspended

fpsBeaTt

Enjoy living in the past.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2018 ---
    That would actually be nice; best looking 5 imo.

9. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

The statement was that the SE produced in India was going to be targeted at three countries. Is that in that article?

10. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

Yes, it is.

11. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Thank you. But if his translation was accurate, it also mention low and medium priced markets. That could include the USA as a medium priced market.

12. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

Yes, I agree.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to convey is, because the article mentioned three target regions: India, Indonesia, and SE Asia, the SE 2 is logically a low-cost device. This should dispel the belief that the SE 2 will have fancy features like a new thin-bezel form factor, A11, or 3D Touch.

The top 3 selling phones in Q3'17 in India were all from Xiaomi:
    1. Redmi Note 4 (5.5")
    2. Redmi 4 (5")
    3. Redmi 4A (5")

Given this fact, the SE 2 is not likely to be 4".

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.

Well that depends on if it takes iPad 1 or 2 years to get updated (my bet is only 1 or 1.5 years). Plus my pet theory about the A9 being in iPad is because iPad Pro still hadn’t been updated and was on A9X. Even though A9X is likely better than A10 for the iPad it wouldn’t be a good look.

Also iPad started at $329. iPhone SE 2 will likely start at $449 as you indicated.

14. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Bought a 128GB SE back in March when the 128GB model dropped but I’m honestly up for buying a SE2 if the upgrades are significant enough.

15. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

I hope that isn't true, about the SE 2.

16. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

There is definitely some demand, but realize 6% of activations means 94% of buyers are choosing larger phones. (Those are US activations only btw.) The Localytics data has the SE at about 5% of the installed base, or about 40 million units since introduction. So worldwide market share is closer to 10% it would seem.

I’m sure that’s sufficient sales to warrant an upgrade, especially since it covers an important price point at the low end. But price is the key, and is why the SE2 will have only cost efficient upgrades. TouchID 2 and a better front camera would seem likely. The headphone jack will remain, it’s cheaper than including the adapter.

But it’s hard to make a case for an A11 when the A10 is so competent and the neural processor isn’t needed. I expect Apple to sell the iPhone 7 for another two years, and if the A10 is good enough for the 7, it’s good enough for the SE2. But sure an A11 is possible; it would provide better shelf life.

No 3D Touch, that would require R&D spend, take away battery space and increase BOM cost, while providing little benefit. A small price cut, maybe to $329 would seem possible.

Finally, I don’t see Apple ever doing an X version of the SE form factor—it would cost $800+. That would kill volume; if they’re selling 20 million at $349, I can’t imagine they could even move 10 million at $800+. Nowhere near enough volume.

17. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

18. typicaluser macrumors regular

iphone se size is the best for my hands. Hope apple would bring all best tech to se 2 but keep the frame size untouched. An all-screen design is nevertheless welcome.

19. zeesix macrumors member

zeesix

Easy - X mini.

Not sure at which point (and why) the screen size got pegged to disposable income.

20. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

It’s not necessarily, that’s a good point. But Apple’s only small phone does happen to also be it’s least expensive.

There is data to suggest Apple sells about 20 million SE per year. Some due to price, some due to a preference for the small size.

The question then becomes, how many X-featured phones in an SE form factor would Apple sell if the price were $849 instead of $349?

21. eduschean macrumors member

Not sure if someone has mentioned this or not, but it would be nice if the SE2 had a a smaller bezel but still be the same size making the screen almost the same size as the iPhone 8. Doubt that would happen, because sales for the 8 would bomb.

22. sleepyking macrumors 6502

Not gonna lie, an X screen on a smaller SE form factor - or maybe 4.25-4.5”, would have me pondering selling my X

23. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I love the size of the iPhone 5s aka 5SE. The iPhone 6/7/8 has too many people lurking over my shoulders. I hope Apple keeps this version.

24. Sciomar macrumors regular

Sciomar

Whoever did this has some terrible photo shop skills.

25. RyanInBinary macrumors member

If it has...

- 8/+/X internals
    - 3D Touch
    - Taptic Engine (not sure why no one is mentioning this?)
    - Dual speakers with the earpiece
    - Stacked logic board design so battery is 30-50% larger in the same space.

I would sell my X to get one. I would love for it to still have FaceID, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker. Same with the headphone jack on the SE, and wireless charging.