Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has a dedicated team of experts that focus solely on ferreting out counterfeit products and stopping them from being sold. Apple shared the tidbit in a statement to Bloomberg on a piece about counterfeit iPhone chargers.

magsafe1.jpg
The safety of our customers is our first priority, and the risks associated with counterfeit products can be very serious. We have a dedicated team of experts constantly working with law enforcement, merchants, social media companies and e-commerce sites around the world to remove counterfeit products from the market. In the last year we have sought the removal of over 1 million listings for counterfeit and fake Apple products from online marketplaces, including Facebook and Instagram.
Apple in the last year had more than a million listings for fake Apple products removed from various online marketplaces like Facebook and Instagram.

Bloomberg's piece delves into fake chargers that have sometimes caused harm to users, with many of those chargers investigated sold on Instagram, Facebook, and other social media sites.

Chinese factories and illicit vendors sell knockoff Apple accessories at cheap prices, and those products are difficult to tell apart from real products. They're outwardly identical to the real thing in every way, but don't have the same safety standards.
Andrea Stroppa, a security researcher who accidentally used a counterfeit product borrowed from a friend, launched an investigation with his colleagues from Ghost Data Team. Their study from February 8 to March 8 uncovered 163 wholesale sellers of counterfeit Apple products on Instagram, ranging from fake $25 AirPods Pro to a fake $5 MagSafe Charger.

When purchasing an Apple accessory, it's important to make sure you buy from a reputable retailer or from Apple's own site to avoid fakes, and accessories should never be purchased on sites like Instagram.

Article Link: Apple's Anti-Counterfeit Team Has Targeted Over 1 Million Listings on Instagram and Other Marketplaces in the Past Year

Last edited:
Reactions: amartinez1660

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I’d also like to point out Amazon has done a good job weeding out counterfeit Apple products/chargers/accessories that was a problem, but being the popularity that follows with Apple, obviously there’s loads of Chinese counterfeits. It Really is a collaborative effort to protect the consumer the best they can.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
One thing I never cheap out on is chargers and charging cables. I use only genuine Apple chargers from the Apple Store or Best Buy. I’m sure there are other safe and well engineered options as well like Anker for example. I always tell people to stay away from a $30 MagSafe charger for your Mac or a $10 iPhone charger.

A genuine Apple USB-C charger is only $19 anyway.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
"They're identical to the real thing in every way, but don't have the same safety standards."

It sure seems like this would mean that they aren't identical in every way.

You’re misunderstanding. Some of these products are virtually physically impossible to distinguish from counterfeit -versus- genuine OEM from Apple. The difference of above mentioned, some of these products don’t include the necessary electrical insulation that poses a fire hazard due to overheating.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It's gotten to a point where I don't buy Apple products from Amazon or eBay. Too many counterfeits. I purchased few in the past and one was a very poor attempt at a counterfeit. When I contacted the seller (listed on Amazon), they offered to replace it with a refurbished genuine Apple product. Yeah right.

So, I now only buy Apple products from Apple Store, Best Buy, or B&H.

MauiPa

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2018
"They're identical to the real thing in every way, but don't have the same safety standards."

It sure seems like this would mean that they aren't identical in every way.
Beauty is skin deep. How would you know if you weren’t a tech and disassembled them? You are right, the author used a poor choice of words. Should have used something like appears to be identical, looks identical. Good to see I’m not the only one who still thinks words matter

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
Step 1: Chargers are no longer included with iPhone purchase
Step 2: Customers by the millions buy chargers from other sources
Step 3: Apl doesn't like that one bit so they spin a story warning that 3rd party chargers are dangerous

ok

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It's gotten to a point where I don't buy Apple products from Amazon or eBay. Too many counterfeits. I purchased few in the past and one was a very poor attempt at a counterfeit. When I contacted the seller (listed on Amazon), they offered to replace it with a refurbished genuine Apple product. Yeah right.

So, I now only buy Apple products from Apple Store, Best Buy, or B&H.
I have done the same. I don't want to risk getting ripped off much less subjecting myself to unnecessary danger.

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
As long as Apple doesn't abuse it and use it as a guise to eliminate the preowned market to force people to buy retail. Apple has already screwed over repair shops by abusing Customs and Borders Protection to illegally confiscate donor and refurbished parts out of genuine devices.

Last edited:

bluespark

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Beauty is skin deep. How would you know if you weren’t a tech and disassembled them? You are right, the author used a poor choice of words. Should have used something like appears to be identical, looks identical. Good to see I’m not the only one who still thinks words matter

I agree -- "identical in every way" does not correctly describe these products. Many of them appear identical, but that's not the same thing.

bluespark

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Step 1: Chargers are no longer included with iPhone purchase
Step 2: Customers by the millions buy chargers from other sources
Step 3: Apl doesn't like that one bit so they spin a story warning that 3rd party chargers are dangerous

ok

I don't think that's what is happening here at all. Apple is well aware many users will turn to third-party chargers. The concern here is with products that do not appear to be third party chargers but are not Apple chargers.

Scoob Redux

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2020
You’re misunderstanding. Some of these products are virtually physically impossible to distinguish from counterfeit -versus- genuine OEM from Apple. The difference of above mentioned, some of these products don’t include the necessary electrical insulation that poses a fire hazard due to overheating.
"virtually physically impossible to distinguish" is not the same as "identical in every way"...that's the point. Maybe you misunderstood.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.