Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's Back to School Promo Starting Next Week

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reports that Apple's annual back-to-school promotion will kick of next week and will be one of the topics in this weekend's retail meeting:
Apple as early as next week will once again announce its annual back-to-school promotion that has historically offered a free or discounted iOS device to customers purchasing of a new Mac, an event that may prove to be one of the main topics of discussion at the much-hyped employee meetings set to be held at the company's retail stores this Sunday.
Last year's promotion was announced during a similar time of year at Tuesday, May 25th and allowed users to receive a free 8GB iPod Touch with purchase of a Mac.

The event could explain some of the store layout and promotional changes that are expected on Sunday.

Article Link: Apple's Back to School Promo Starting Next Week

ThaDoggg

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
Burlington, Canada
Ahh yes my friend is waiting for this promotion as he wants to buy a new MBP. It would be starting fairly early tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Now the question is, will there be new computers before this promotion is over? I know Lion is coming out before September, so should I wait until Lion?? My goal is to get the most up to date for college, starting august 18th.. Ideas??

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
Now the question is, will there be new computers before this promotion is over? I know Lion is coming out before September, so should I wait until Lion?? My goal is to get the most up to date for college, starting august 18th.. Ideas??

they will prolly stop the promotion once Lion comes out in the end of august/early september or the new iTouch comes out
whichever comes first

bigtallguy

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Maybe that's related to the apple store being down with the "We'll be back soon" sticky note thing...

pep.pep

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
so, how do they confirm that you are in school?

i just graduated this past august.

student id?

Kflik

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
Best time to purchase a Mac if you are a student.

Student discount + free iPod = an opportunity to purchase a new mac at lowest possible price (assuming you sell the iPod that is).

Also for people wondering (I know this question gets asked often): It is safe to assume that you will HAVE to purchase the iPod at the time you purchase the Mac, full price. You later receive a check for the cost of the iPod from Apple. I am stating that it is safe to assume this because this is how it has been done in the past fyi.

bigtallguy

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010

student id?

Every time I've taken advantage of the student discount online they never have asked me for anything. I have heard that if you are in the store they sometimes ask for a student id

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Best time to purchase a Mac if you are a student.

Student discount + free iPod = an opportunity to purchase a new mac at lowest possible price (assuming you sell the iPod that is).

Also for people wondering (I know this question gets asked often): It is safe to assume that you will HAVE to purchase the iPod at the time you purchase the Mac, full price. You later receive a check for the cost of the iPod from Apple. I am stating that it is safe to assume this because this is how it has been done in the past fyi.

i thought they did a rebate?

EDIT: NVM :D

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
i think the point is to clear stock before september before the new ones come out

besides, im sure they wont mind getting them early ;)

New what? MacBook Pro's? Ivy Bridge isn't going to be released until 2012. The MacBook Airs, MacBooks and Mac Mini's will likely get refreshed around WWDC and the Mac Pro won't get updated until Intel releases their Sandy Bridge server processors in the fourth quarter.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2010
USA
New what? MacBook Pro's? Ivy Bridge isn't going to be released until 2012. The MacBook Airs, MacBooks and Mac Mini's will likely get refreshed around WWDC and the Mac Pro won't get updated until Intel releases their Sandy Bridge server processors in the fourth quarter.

new ipod touches

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT

student id?
I'm 32 and have been out of college, well, for 11 yrs. When I bought my wife's iMac recently, the AAPL employee asked us if we were students. We said no. He said are you sure?, and I then got the hint and said "yes, we are students at XYX local college. He smiled, we smiled, and left paying a lot less than a non-student.

So, I suppose it depends on the salesperson, the stars aligning, or something like that, as to how lucky you get. We got lucky.

I don't think it's a big deal as AAPL is printing money right now. Sales are sales...inventory going out is a huge deal for stockholders.

Goohfy

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2011
Do the prices of the MB's get dropped too ? Or do you just receive the iPod ?
(Not trying to sound greedy, just wondering to make sure I got the money ready :p) .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.