Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today opened its new store in Battersea, South West London – the second to feature the company's overhauled retail store design after the Tysons Corner revamp last month.

Apple-Battersea-London-opening-day-store-queue.jpg

Apple Battersea is the 40th Apple Store in the UK and it is located inside the redeveloped Battersea Power Station on the Ground Floor in Turbine Hall A. The building is a decommissioned coal-fired power station, regarded as an iconic landmark owing to its Art Deco fittings and status as one of the world's largest brick constructions.

The store is positioned around four original brick piers from the 1930s, with exposed steel supports on the ceiling. The walls feature an overlaid oak framework of shelving and a revamped fixture set, defining a Genius Bar, hardware flex space, Apple Watch Studio, pickup area, and more. With the new design, Apple has increased the amount of circulation space around the edge of the store. New acoustic baffles on the ceiling improve acoustic clarity inside the store. Apple Battersea also uses more biomaterials to reduce reliance on carbon-intensive elements.

Apple-Battersea-London-opening-day-genius-bar.jpg

Apple had moved away from physical Genius Bar sections in its stores in recent years, but Apple Battersea has a dedicated Genius Bar in the left rear corner. This is the second fully fledged Genius Bar that Apple has installed in a store since 2015. The reimagined Genius Bar has a counter for stand-up service in addition to a lowered area where customers can be served sitting down.

The store's flexible hardware space is designed to spotlight Apple's latest devices and can be adapted over time. There is also an in-person Apple Watch Studio where customers can mix and match Apple Watch cases and bands.

Today at Apple sessions at the store draw inspiration from the local area, including photo and art tours around the building. In celebration of the opening of Apple Battersea, Apple Music will host live performances outside the store throughout the rest of the week.

Battersea Power Station is also home to Apple's new UK headquarters, with enough space for approximately 3,000 employees. Apple occupies around 40 percent of the entire building, including the top six floors inside the former boiler room around a central atrium. The company first announced plans for the new campus in 2016. Last year, Apple CEO Tim Cook told London's Evening Standard:
Apple has been part of the London community for more than 40 years, and we're thrilled to soon bring some of our teams together in the historic Battersea Power Station.

Once a source of energy for much of London, the transformation this building has undergone honors London's past and celebrates its future. We're so glad to be a part of it.

Battersea Power Station and its surrounding area has undergone a "painstaking" restoration process in recent years. In addition to Apple's office space, the building contains three floors of shops, bars, and restaurants, a 24,000 sq ft food hall, 253 apartments around a "garden square in the sky," a 2,000-seat auditorium and cinema, and more.

Article Link: Apple's Battersea Store Opens Today, Second to Feature All-New Design

Last edited:

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
It looks great, but I am not a fan the Apple Store random service approach vs systematic queuing. It's all fine when the stores are quiet. However, when they are busy, it can be a nightmare to get service. Getting help becomes more about luck than anything else. It can be the same feeling of helplessness as I feel in countries where people don't queue and it's about who shoves or shouts the loudest.

biracialfamily91

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2015
Queens, NY
Can we get an Apple Store in Pensacola FL or anywhere near there? My poor cousin just recently had to drive almost 4 hours to Birmingham to get his battery on his 13 Pro Max replaced because Best Buy would have to order the battery and it would be a 2-3 week just to get the parts to the store.

• Disagree
Reactions: Luap

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
It looks great, but I am not a fan the Apple Store random service approach vs systematic queuing. It's all fine when the stores are quiet. However, when they are busy, it can be a nightmare to get service. Getting help becomes more about luck than anything else. It can be the same feeling of helplessness as I feel in countries where people don't queue and it's about who shoves or shouts the loudest.
They're usually pretty rammed in my city and even when you make an apt it feels like confusing chaos and you kind get passed around staffers at times and still have to spend a considerable time waiting even when you make an apt for a specific time. Not a fan of the Apple B&M experience either.

Last edited:

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
YAWN...I used to go to Apple stores when I traveled , Sydney, London, Paris, NYC, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Los Vegas, I have even been twice to 1 infinite loop.

We have no store in New Zealand.

But they are all same thing, different location and offer nothing special. I will be in SF next year but will not go to Apple HQ store, 1st time I was there I bought a range of merchandise , apart from t-shirts there is basically nothing there now so why bother.

My local reseller has FAR better range of stuff from a wide range of manufacturers, most of the 3rd party products are also a lot cheaper than Apple ones. And I can also shop online. Last time overseas we just walked past the Apple store.

Can't see me ever going into one now, there is zero reason to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.