Apple's Beats Brand to Debut New Wire-Free Powerbeats in April

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 22, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's Beats brand will soon release an entirely wire-free version of its Powerbeats Wireless Earphones designed for workouts, reports CNET. The updated earphones will be similar to the AirPods, in that there will be no wire between them.

Apple won't be cannibalizing its own AirPods sales because Powerbeats are designed for working out, running, and other athletic activities that aren't really meant for AirPods.

[​IMG]
    Apple's current Powerbeats earphones​

The newly updated AirPods that Apple launched this week feature an updated H1 chip that brings faster switching between devices, quicker connections when making phone calls, "Hey Siri" support and longer talk time, and this chip could also be included in updated Powerbeats.

The W1 chip that Apple used in the previous version of the AirPods was also incorporated into its Beats headphones.

CNET says that the information comes from a source that has provided reliable details on Apple's plans in the past, with Apple's Beats brand set to release the new earphones in April. Compared to the AirPods, the upcoming Powerbeats could offer better bass and water resistance, as well as the ability to better stay in the ears during rigorous activity.

There's no word on what the new Powerbeats will cost. Apple priced the new AirPods with Wireless Charging Case at $199, and current Powerbeats also cost $199, so the price could potentially go up.

It's not clear if there are other headphone updates in the works that would be announced at the same time as the wire-free Powerbeats, but Apple's Beats brand has not introduced a significant update since summer 2018 when the Beats Studio3 Wireless Headphones were updated with a W1 chip.

Article Link: Apple's Beats Brand to Debut New Wire-Free Powerbeats in April

2. bigboyz12000 macrumors member

bigboyz12000

So, did they buy the competitor to compete with themselves? Guess time will tell.

3. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

this is why airpods wasn't designed to stay in your ears when working out/running, so apple can sell you the beats for your working out/running. :D

4. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

Actually looking forward to this as a maybe better integrated alternative to Bose SoundSport Free.

5. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

6. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

So happy I didn’t buy the AirPods yet I’d rather have this

7. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Curious to see if they’ll remove the volume control in that case. Will people be happy with the move to “Hey Siri”?

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Small amendment to the article - the Studio3 was released in September 2017, no?

9. adamw macrumors regular

adamw

New Beats headphones are a very interesting development.

10. adamski23, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019

adamski23 macrumors regular

What's stopping apple from offering Airpods in this form factor as an alternative and call them Active Airpods or something similar. Beats branding seem redundant especially since Apple branding is much more recognizable and perceived to be more premium.

11. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

AirPods stay absolutely fine in my ears on my runs. Have used them since day one and I have yet to have them fall off my ears. Not to mention they are so light that I don't even feel them being in my ears if it wasn't for the music.

12. Apple-is-Cool macrumors newbie

I've been running with AirPods since they were released and have not had a single issue with them falling off or moving.

13. ELman macrumors member

Finally, something I have been waiting for. Let's hope this model is more sweat resistant than the current line up.

14. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

Same, I ran for a couple years with mine so far and have not once fallen out.

15. ztw2002 macrumors regular

I will be the first one to order. I am still rocking the first version of powerbeats from loooong time ago.

16. rosegoldoli macrumors member

rosegoldoli

only will compel me if it comes in rose gold/blush gold

17. citysnaps macrumors 601

Mine work fine working out and running. No need to purchase anything else.

18. Tivoli_ macrumors member

Can someone explain what the purpose was of Apple buying Beats that they couldn't design on their own?
    What is the return on investment (ROI) on the $ 3 billion purchase? Curated this or curated that was very big in the beginning had died out in conversations also.
    So what did Apple really gain by Beats?

19. mdorais macrumors regular

Powerbeats are trash. Mine worked for 1 year then just stopped. Look at the Amazon reviews for these, many similar experiences and many 1 star reviews. For what they cost, buy something more reliable.

20. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Beats are junk.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2019 ---
    A streaming service.

21. 69Mustang, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019

69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Beats is ecosystem agnostic thus purchased by users of many different brands: Apple, Android, MS, etc. That's why Apple hasn't messed with Beats. It's a worldwide recognized brand. Beats sell because of Beats, not because it's owned by Apple. I'd bet there's a significant portion of the populace that has no idea the two companies are associated. It would make little sense for Apple to interfere with the Beats platform. Augment and improve it? Yes. But change it? Naw man.

22. eroslws macrumors 6502

Biggest hype here is the battery life. Marathon training with AirPods is absolute garbage, despite me loving AirPods for nearly all other uses.

23. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Mine work good for running too, but for certain activities I’d like something that stays in better. I’d buy these new Beats in a heartbeat.

24. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Now if only everyone in the world had your same exact ears :rolleyes:

25. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Pfft, I've already got AirPods. I don't need this crap! :rolleyes:

*inconspicuously enters contest*

Identity theft isn't a joke, Klae17!