Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danox574

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
i'm happy to use my gift card for Applecare after the original purchase. I was going to put it in the cart with an iMac but this is fine too.

Vladislav

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
I do not think that you can use those gift cards to purchase an iphone 6. They are usually just for app and itunes stores. Also I do not think they expire. I have been using the same 100 dollar gift card for about a year and half and it still has money on it.

I think you are wrong, there is two different kind of gift cards from apple, one kind is itunes cards, and another kind is apple gift cards, thats avaiable for anything from apple store or apple online store.
Please someone confirm that please.

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
For anyone in the UK.

For iPad mini Retina discounts - PC World/Currys are doing a £30 cash back offer on it. (Which sounds like hassle.) Argos are giving a £20 Argos voucher. And Tesco are giving a straight up £20 off. (With £3.19 worth of club cards points.)

Going to get it at Tesco :)

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
i'm happy to use my gift card for Applecare after the original purchase. I was going to put it in the cart with an iMac but this is fine too.

That's actually a great idea for those who intend on getting a new machine with Applecare.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
I think you are wrong, there is two different kind of gift cards from apple, one kind is itunes cards, and another kind is apple gift cards, thats avaiable for anything from apple store or apple online store.

I know that when I bought my computer with the back to school promotion fro apple last year I received an Apple gift card that was only valid for the itunes and app stores. I don't know maybe this is different.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Will these gift cards be Apple Store gift cards or iTunes gift cards?

+1

I'd also like to know. I would at least be able to use an iTunes gift card. $75 at the apple store doesn't go very far...

This black Friday thing has been a huge fiasco for me. Tried to upgrade to a 32gb air for cheap so I returned my 16gb version. After a couple false starts I bought from staples but it is stuck processing and based on others experiences they may have sold more than they actually had in stock so who knows if I'll actually get it. I was hoping to have Apple as a backup in case that fell through but now that is a bust. Does anyone know if best buy is offering the $50 discount on the higher storage models? Sigh...

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I do not think that you can use those gift cards to purchase an iphone 6. They are usually just for app and itunes stores. Also I do not think they expire. I have been using the same 100 dollar gift card for about a year and half and it still has money on it.

Gift cards not iTunes gift cards, hopefully.

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
I don't know what's more pathetic, Apple and its endless greed (seriously store credit?) or the people that think this is such a generous deal. Was looking at getting iPods for the nieces and nephews, but definitely scratching this retailer off my holiday gifts list now.

buffalobrewer

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
i wanted to get a time capsule, so the $50 card will be nice. Holding out for a new mini to replace my vintage mac mini (2006) and can use the card for that.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So, if I buy say an iMac, I get a gift card I can't use right away, but rather have to spend at Apple at a second occasion?

Quite crappy offer if you ask me. Sure, it's a bit more value than before, but would rather have had to discount up front.

If you think it's a crappy offer, just give the gift cards to someone else.

I think that quite on the contrary, giving away gift cards means that money will be spent on software which then goes to software developers, which makes it more worthwhile to write software for Macs and iOS.

----------

If you are within your return period of these items will Apple still give the gift card?

Of course. However, what they do is sell you a device at a reduced price and a gift card at full price at the same time. So if you return the computer you will not get back the money for the gift card.

Seriously, do you think they are totally stupid?

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
+1

I'd also like to know. I would at least be able to use an iTunes gift card. $75 at the apple store doesn't go very far...

This black Friday thing has been a huge fiasco for me. Tried to upgrade to a 32gb air for cheap so I returned my 16gb version. After a couple false starts I bought from staples but it is stuck processing and based on others experiences they may have sold more than they actually had in stock so who knows if I'll actually get it. I was hoping to have Apple as a backup in case that fell through but now that is a bust. Does anyone know if best buy is offering the $50 discount on the higher storage models? Sigh...

You can get $50-70 off right now at Best Buy. Higher capacity ones are still available.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong but those don't even touch the deals going on at Target/Walmart and those folks.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

Yeah, I highly doubt these gift cards will be for purchasing hardware. They are usually for the App stores. Which is fine by me, but I think a lot of people have different expectations.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Come on, Apple!

I'd prefer a straight $500.00 off the top!

Give it to me! My holiday consumerism deserves it! :p

Yeah, I highly doubt these gift cards will be for purchasing hardware. They are usually for the App stores. Which is fine by me, but I think a lot of people have different expectations.

Luckily the AU site clearly says Apple Store Gift Card, not iTunes Gift Card.
http://store.apple.com/au

+1

Just buy iTunes cards using the gift card. You have your choice of which kind of card, in a sense. EDIT: or not anymore?

Last edited:

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Come on, Apple!

I'd prefer a straight $500.00 off the top!

Give it to me!

Wrong: the AU site clearly says Apple Store Gift Card, not iTunes Gift Card.
http://store.apple.com/au

Just buy iTunes cards using the gift card. You have your choice of which kind of card, in a sense.

From Apple's website, store gift cards cannot be used to purchase iTunes Gift Cards.

Apple Store Gift Cards can be redeemed for most items on the Apple Online Store, including iPhone, iPhone accessories, and all things Mac, iPad, and iPod.
NOTE: Apple Store Gift Cards cannot be used to purchase another Apple Store Gift Card, an iTunes Gift Card, an iTunes Gift Certificate, Apple Print Products, or for purchases at the iTunes Store

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
It figures. The one item I want this Christmas isn't part of the promotion and I can't buy it anywhere else (retina mini cellular). Grrr.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006

The Australian sale page uses the magic phrase "Apple Store Gift Card", which is defined on this Apple webpage.

Apple Store Gift Cards can be used to purchase Apple hardware and accessories at any Apple Retail Store, the Apple Online Store, or over the phone

Sounds pretty clear. :)

It basically means that you need to buy two things to benefit from the "discount." Black Friday was the one day a year that you could officially buy something from an Apple Store at less than MSRP. Now you can, but only if you make a second stop.

What do you need to stop doing in order to cash in that card? If you had to stop by a store to use it, I might agree. However, you can use it on phone orders or any sort of online orders. Accessories. Applecare. App store software, books, or songs. The cards should be eminently sellable to friends or could themselves be used as a gift.

No matter what Angela Ahrendts sets up for next year, I'm confident that MR posters will find a reason to complain about it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Agree. One less stop to make tomorrow.
So you would have shopped there had Apple given you its usual 5% off (much less than other retailers) but because they increased it to 10-15% and made it a gift card which you can use for apps and content you are no longer interested? Your logic eludes me.

What's really happening here is that Apple knows their previous discount wasn't competitive and decided this was the most cost effective way to get into the same range as the other players (most of whom also have strings attached such as minimum purchase values, coupons, etc.).

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
So you would have shopped there had Apple given you its usual 5% off (much less than other retailers) but because they increased it to 10-15% and made it a gift card which you can use for apps and content you are no longer interested? Your logic eludes me.

Nice try Tim Cook ;)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
From Apple's website, store gift cards cannot be used to purchase iTunes Gift Cards.

Apple Store Gift Cards can be redeemed for most items on the Apple Online Store, including iPhone, iPhone accessories, and all things Mac, iPad, and iPod.
NOTE: Apple Store Gift Cards cannot be used to purchase another Apple Store Gift Card, an iTunes Gift Card, an iTunes Gift Certificate, Apple Print Products, or for purchases at the iTunes Store

Good to know--I've done it in the last year myself, so they must have changed something recently.

(OR it's different in person--which is where I bought my iTunes cards--than online?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.