Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeesdeW

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2015
With the efficiency of the M1 maybe you could make a case for less RAM, but what's the excuse for this dinky ssd size?
And yes, I still remember my mini with the external power brick, not good. And the top it off, is fugly too. Woa, I don't know what exactly the demographic is for this iMac, but I might as well be on another planet on this one ?

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
The port is there, better than it not being there, right? Apple could have easily just omitted it if they had wanted to do that. An Ethernet port hasn’t been part of the MacBook Pro since the mid-2012 (mon-Retina model was released. Discontinued since late 2013, that port has been gone 8 years.

Everything I use is wireless. Wireless to the router and then wireless keyboard, mouse and trackpad on my 2019 iMac. I get the need for wired Ethernet, but having it on the power supply instead of the back of the iMac is no big deal.
Seems like a huge improvement to me, since this is one less cable (and one that is always unsightly) going into the back of the machine, and Ethernet jacks tend to be near the floor anyway.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Seems like a huge improvement to me, since this is one less cable (and one that is always unsightly) going into the back of the machine, and Ethernet jacks tend to be near the floor anyway.
I think someone in another thread nailed it when they said the power cord and Ethernet cable are the only ones that come from the wall and could yank the iMac off the desk if someone tripped over it, so it makes sense that these two cables are connected magnetically.

The other cables are all going to accessories/peripherals that live in the desk with the iMac (external speakers, wired external storage, etc.).

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I think someone in another thread nailed it when they said the power cord and Ethernet cable are the only ones that come from the wall and could yank the iMac off the desk if someone tripped over it, so it makes sense that these two cables are connected magnetically.

The other cables are all going to accessories/peripherals that live in the desk with the iMac (external speakers, wired external storage, etc.).
Also true.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Exactly...I’m guessing that if Apple implements MagSafe on the next 14” and 16” MBP, this would be a good value add for what is otherwise a single use port and placate those who pine for the return of an Ethernet port on the actual chassis.

Reactions: bluespark

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I think someone in another thread nailed it when they said the power cord and Ethernet cable are the only ones that come from the wall and could yank the iMac off the desk if someone tripped over it, so it makes sense that these two cables are only connected magnetically.

...but is that really such a big deal on a desktop?

Magsafe is great on a laptop - you're often using it in situations where there's no opportunity to safely route the cable, it's light and easily pulled off the table. You're frequently plugging and unplugging the power, so ease of unplugging and lack of wear on the plug is a good thing. Plus (and this is important) it is battery powered so if the plug gets pulled accidentally it won't instantly crash the computer.

(To be fair, though, it doesn't always work - my old MBP took a dirt nap when a dog got tangled up in the cable - stupid mutt obviously tripped over it wrong...)

On a desktop, though, I don't really see the point. Stop being lazy and tuck the cable away properly... and an accidental power disconnection will instantly crash the computer (I was going to say that suddenly losing Ethernet can screw things up, too... then I thought a bit harder :) ).

The Ethernet port location is simply going to be love/hate depending on where your Ethernet socket/cable is in relation to the power point - vs. the disadvantage of having a power brick where you didn't before. For current users, getting an Ethernet cable on your desktop is usually a solved problem. Personally, my computers get plugged into a bunch of multi-way adapters in a slightly hard-to-reach location around which there is already a rats-nest of power cables, and I'd really rather not have Ethernet cables around there too - and having one thing plugged into another is always a nightmare for things getting tangled.

Is the problem of built-in power supplies blowing a significant one? (of course, that's only a problem because of the poor repairability of Macs). Personally, I've never had a problem and I hate power bricks and wall-warts.

Reactions: pdoherty

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Oh, yes, 100%...especially when you factor in the fact that some people on these forums still think FW800 should still be included in the year 2021.
Hey, I still have a working FW800 raid0 drive, what the hell do you mean.. oh sorry. You said included. For a moment there I thought you were suggesting FW800 should be verboten and the use of it via adapters, docks or hubs should be banned. You know, just like HDMI and USB Type-A and SD Cards are banned on the 2016-2020 MBPs. My bad!

Obviously, /S.

Reactions: Zdigital2015

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
The port is there, better than it not being there, right? Apple could have easily just omitted it if they had wanted to do that. An Ethernet port hasn’t been part of the MacBook Pro since the mid-2012 (mon-Retina model was released. Discontinued since late 2013, that port has been gone 8 years.

Everything I use is wireless. Wireless to the router and then wireless keyboard, mouse and trackpad on my 2019 iMac. I get the need for wired Ethernet, but having it on the power supply instead of the back of the iMac is no big deal.
But your Macbook Pro is a portable. An iMac is a desktop.
People use iMacs at desks in offices with cables, people use Macbook Pros at conference or communal tables at offices.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
These iMacs weigh just under 10 pounds. I’m guessing they’re the most able to be yanked off a table if someone trips over a cable. My 2020 27” iMac weighs double that, for example.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
It is nice and all...but what is the point of a fancy magnetic power cord on a desktop with no battery backup? Doesn't this just (generally) get plugged in once and forgotten?
The new iMac is so thin that friction is not enough to keep the power plug in place without magnetic support. ? ?

Reactions: macsound1

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
The new iMac is so thin that friction is not enough to keep the power plug in place without magnetic support. ? ?
Oh I see. So why didnt' they just use a regular USB-C cable/plug (since that seems to be the new standard). It could have also carried the ethernet signal (and maybe other stuff) to a hub at the power brick! Are we saying that even that USB-C is too long a connector? This seems like a missed opportunity...OR would USB-c not carry enough power for an iMac?

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Oh I see. So why didnt' they just use a regular USB-C cable/plug (since that seems to be the new standard). It could have also carried the ethernet signal (and maybe other stuff) to a hub at the power brick! Are we saying that even that USB-C is too long a connector? This seems like a missed opportunity...OR would USB-c not carry enough power for an iMac?
USB-C tops out at the 100w and this new iMac has a 143w power adapter, basically making USB-C a non starter. Not to mention the USB-C connector is not really what I would want to rely on with a computer lacking a battery.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

My guess is that the iPhone and AirPods still use the lightning connector, and these are also the devices that Apple sees users charging at their desk.

So with one usb c to lightning cable from your iMac, you can take turns charging your various lightning devices (keyboard, trackpad, mouse, iPhone, AirPods).

Reactions: macsound1

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I was jokingly expecting the stand on the iMac m1 24" to be a separate purchase, cost 20% or more of the computer price sans stand, and also come with Qi charging so you may wireless charge your iOS / Airpods devices with the iMac.

Even though a lot of us are gawking at the power supply, lack of gigabit ethernet, and only 2 x TB4 USB-C ports, I think it's going to do incredibly well in their product stack. My place of employment happens to have A LOT of iMacs, so I expect to be seeing this and the 27" version whenever it is announced as people's I.T. and "productivity" machines at their desk as we return to the office.

In entertainment we really don't want people to use the IO on their assigned computers unless that person's workflow requires it - like assistant editors aren't even ingesting footage here, a media technician is doing that with multiple machines with every media card reader / cable available under the sun. I bet many of them will show up as a VESA model, because ergonomics are increasingly becoming an employee benefit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.