Apple's Chipmaking Chief Johny Srouji Reportedly on Intel's List of Potential CEOs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Intel has been searching for a new CEO since Brian Krzanich resigned nearly seven months ago, and Axios now reports that the chipmaker's list of candidates includes Johny Srouji, Senior Vice President of Hardware Technologies at Apple.

[​IMG]

Srouji joined Apple in 2008 to lead development of the A4 chip, the first Apple-designed system-on-a-chip in the iPhone 4, and now oversees custom silicon and hardware technologies including batteries, application processors, storage controllers, sensors silicon, and other chipsets across Apple's entire product line.

It's unclear if Srouji is interested in leading Intel, where he worked between 1990 and 2005 in both his native Israel and the United States, according to his LinkedIn profile. Srouji also worked at IBM between 2005 and 2008.

Apple's custom A-series chips lead the mobile industry in terms of performance, so losing Srouji would certainly be a major blow for the iPhone maker, although the company obviously has a larger team of engineers working on the silicon. Back in 2017, Srouji said his team was already working on chips for 2020.

Apple is rumored to use an Intel wireless chip in its first 5G-capable iPhone in 2020.

Article Link: Apple's Chipmaking Chief Johny Srouji Reportedly on Intel's List of Potential CEOs

2. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

3. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

If he leaves, then you know Apple's ARM in Mac plans have fallen through. If he stays, Intel may need to be worried.

4. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

what a creepy corporate photo

wouldnt trust this guy to look after my laptop while i go to the bathroom at a coffee shop

5. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

Although you trust him to design the chips that hold your most sensitive information such as bank details etc.

6. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

I hope talented guys like him will stay at Apple. If he leaves Apple, it's a sign for me that Apple lost focus.

7. newyorksole macrumors 68040

But here’s my thing... He works with a large team. Even if the team is small, I’m sure there are people on the team who can step up in his place.

I don’t really see how it would be a major blow.

8. ph001bi macrumors regular

And just like that you win the Internet comment of the day award.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2019 ---
    He’s very much the visionary. He has always been, so yes it’d be a massive loss for Apple, and I am not sure anyone can just step in. On the other hand, maybe Intel would stop being so crap.

9. nerdAFK macrumors 6502

nerdAFK

10. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

His work is amazing and is seen daily in the benchmarks.

11. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

There’s a reason why Apple makes the best chips in the business and it’s this guy. Losing him to Intel would be a massive blow.

It would be a sign that Apple has truly lost their edge.

12. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

*I* wouldnt personally, but not my decision to make

also was just partially a joke :D

13. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502

BigBoy2018

If his moving to intel makes it more likely that Macs would stay on intel chips rather than ARM, I'm all for it.

14. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Apple should have a talk with him and make sure he stays (and is compensated to ensure that). Apple's future literally rests on the stuff this guy's group makes. JMHO....

15. adbe macrumors 6502a

Not at all. The chance to leave a position as "Senior Vice President" to take a job as CEO is one that a lot of people would take. Regardless of whether he stays or goes, I don't think you can read too much into the health of Apple as a whole.

16. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Downside outlook for Intel is less so that would be a smarter career move.

17. PKoz macrumors member

PKoz

Intel is legacy dead technology. He might leave for the millions he'll make being the CEO of a company like Intel. But the x86 is a disaster in my opinion. The future is ARM. Staying with Apple and a senior VP vs. being the CEO of Intel worth millions is a step up career-wise. I wouldn't fault anyone for jumping at that opportunity.

18. idktbh macrumors newbie

idktbh

19. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Although it will be a major blow to Apple’s ARM chip development, I would love to see him steer Intel in the right direction. Also, he can give Apple the newest Mac compatible chipsets earlier so... :)

20. nt5672 macrumors 68000

If he moves it could only be for a few reasons; 1) the money/responsibility offered at Intel was not matched by Apple, or 2) No amount of money offered by the current management of Apple would have made a difference.

Or if he does not move, then this story is all about getting a raise and more responsibility at Apple.

Time will tell.

21. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

I was just giving you grief. I don’t take my interneting all that seriously. :)

22. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

Hope he fixes the T2 fiasco before he leaves.

23. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

Please feel free to tell us the last time you were featured in GQ or Esquire magazine.

24. dwaite macrumors regular

dwaite

What is the T2 fiasco?