Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
If he leaves, then you know Apple's ARM in Mac plans have fallen through. If he stays, Intel may need to be worried.

A lot of baseless speculation. He may simply leave because being CEO of a Fortune 500 company is a good opportunity.
[doublepost=1547574644][/doublepost]
What is the T2 fiasco?

Another issue blown out of proportion by the .00001% of users that it affects.

Reactions: pianophile

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Maybe this could mean closer cooperation between Apple and Intel as it was during Jobs era

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Woah. Apple would be wise to retain him no matter what it takes, no matter how good Intels compensation. Reportedly their salaries aren't particularly high for a company like them, and if that's what's driving top talent to move on, it's a no brainer of an investment. Though some men like Jim Keller just prefer a bigger challenge turning things around, rather than projects that are already going well, regardless of compensation.

shpankey

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
From Sr. Vp of a single team/org to CEO is a huge jump career wise. I don't see how Apple will stop this, if he has aspirations like that. Intel can match/beat the money for a CEO position that Apple can for a Sr. Vp position. We have like 6 of those at my company.

Could potentially be a devastating loss, long term. This guy deservs major kudos to the brightest star in all CPU development happening anywhere on the planet ATM. Leadership is insanely important and trickles down to the lowest levels in a huge way that just can't be emphasized enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I could see it, as Intel obviously needs the help, but I hope it doesn't happen. Apple's chip team are the most innovative part of the company today. Can he be replaced? Maybe. If I were Apple though, I'd be doing anything I need to to keep him.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
He's not the only one. Renowned chip designer and former Apple employee Jim Keller is also at Intel. Follow the talent as they're the smartest. x86-64 industry need competition otherwise it'll get stagnant with only AMD currently leading and only two major competitors.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
what a creepy corporate photo

wouldnt trust this guy to look after my laptop while i go to the bathroom at a coffee shop
If you're in the same coffee shop with him, you're probably the most awkward untrustworthy person. I'm pretty sure the baristas and managers will be kissing their asses and treat this guy like a king because he tips $100 each for a $5 coffee, because he's a filthy rich b**ch. And some of the customers are probably bowing down as he walk along because they work for him. While you're acting like busy on your laptop PC and everybody else are using their most recent top of the line MacBooks because this people around you work for Apple and probably still make more money than you. :D

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
The chipmaker's list of candidates includes Johny Srouji
Looks like it's not a sure thing yet

It's unclear if Srouji is interested in leading Intel, where he worked between 1990 and 2005 in both his native Israel and the United States, according to his LinkedIn profile.

Having worked at Intel, I could see him having some loyalty to Intel and wanting to return. His tenure at Apple is more recent, yet shorter than that of his tenure at Intel (~15 years at Intel vs ~11 at Apple). Gotta wonder where his loyalties would lie if he is offered the CEO position.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If you're in the same coffee shop with him, you're probably the most awkward untrustworthy person. I'm pretty sure the baristas and managers will be kissing their asses and treat this guy like a king because he tips $100 each for a $5 coffee, because he's a filthy rich b**ch. And some of the customers are probably bowing down as he walk along because they work for him. While you're acting like busy on your laptop PC and everybody else are using their most recent top of the line MacBooks because this people around you work for Apple and probably still make more money than you. :D

That’s quite the hypothetical! Your imagination is vast

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
what a creepy corporate photo

wouldnt trust this guy to look after my laptop while i go to the bathroom at a coffee shop
Corporate photos always make people look like serial killers. I think it’s a requirement. I would never have dated my husband if all I had to go on was a corporate photo of him as an introduction. I would have screamed and called the cops. And I looked like a “bunny boiler” in mine back in the day, despite being known as a very nice lady at the office who would fetch coffee and run errands for everyone and not make a federal case about it being “not my job”.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Hmm, let's see, why don't I jump ship over to that nice boat, what's it called.... Titanic?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
As a VP, he wouldn't be much help with chip performance or efficiency now or in the future. Management people really don't contribute in those areas so he would take the job at Intel if it is offered.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
If he, or anyone, is offered the position of CEO of Intel, it is very hard to so no and an opportunity that doesn't come along often. As he worked at both place, it might be a difficult decision to make.

bkaus

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
Johnny is a great guy. I wish him the best.

If offered a CEO spot, I certainly wouldn’t call it jumping ship. It’s an opportunity of a lifetime.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
good. Hopefully apple wakes up. A procesor chips? Bye bye?
[doublepost=1547587484][/doublepost]
If he leaves Apple that’s it for Apple’s Silicon. Nightmare Senario. Can’t really blame someone for wanting to leave a sinking ship though. :apple:
It wasn’t a sinking ship. It was sunked by burmuda triangle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.