Apple's Craig Federighi: Uncertainty About Face ID Will 'Melt Away' Once People Get iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 15, 2017.

1. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

The thing is that Face ID DID work. Others used the phone so it locked up. All good.

2. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

It's like this with every new technology... Mac, iPhone, Apple Watch, and even iPhone X. Instead of keeping an open mind, some people's first instinct is to assume the worst and try to discredit it. They never learn.

The dumbest thing I've read has to be, what if a robber forces you to unlock it by looking at it. What???? How is that any different than a robber putting a gun to your head and asking for your passcode or forcing you to unlock it with Touch ID? SMH

3. Bone Ranger macrumors member

Bone Ranger

How long will it take for hackers to defeat FaceID?
    2, 3 or 4 hours after launch?

4. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

I think it will be in a future iOS update.

5. Act3 macrumors 68000

i'd agree, but it is not new tech, it is apple playing catch up.

6. Bone Ranger macrumors member

Bone Ranger

Isn't there is a quick and stealthy procedure to disable TOUCH ID and set the iPhone for PASSWORD only?

7. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Will this work to unlook X on a desk, table?

8. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

Honestly, I think FaceID is neat. I’ll wait for the trickle down, though, because I just can’t justify a G on that phone. That, and a lot of the kinks should be figured out by this time next year.

9. BiscottiGelato macrumors 6502

Whether FaceID is better than TouchID or not. Craig already paved the way for TouchID to come back on iPhone X2

10. Red Oak macrumors regular

Give me a break. Another high level C-level Apple exec who has never hands on used the product. I don't care if he is head of all software development. The man knows nothing

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yes. And he wouldn’t have to be nasty about it. I think a lot of people are curious why they made that decision. I get why reassuring people about Face ID is important but he could have saved the last 5 minutes on the notch and what Apple’s thinking was behind it.

12. ericg301 macrumors 65816

I would have much rather had Gruber ask him about the ios 11 GM leak that happened just a week ago instead of accidental screenshot talk.

13. BiscottiGelato macrumors 6502

I say 2 weeks. It's gonna take a fully moving, emotion expressing, photo-realistic 3D mask of the person. 3D printed from a full 3D scan of that person's face, tho.

14. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I'm going to trust Apple for now and assume Face ID is better, until I get mine.

I will say this though... Just a few minutes ago, I tried unlocking my iPhone while hanging out in the hot tub but Touch ID failed. Then it dawned on me why Apple chose the woman in the pool to show how Face ID works in their video. Pretty smart.

15. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

And the comments here get dumb and dumber. Did you not listen to the podcast? Craig has been using the iPhone X for quite some time now.

16. ericg301 macrumors 65816

I agree — I enjoy his POV, but he’s state media when it comes to Apple. A propaganda network of one.

He keeps getting these interviews year after year because he lobs softball after softball.

Which I’m ok with, you just have to understand the dynamics behind it.

17. alexe macrumors member

So much for all the idiots on this forum being ultra-pessimistic about every new thing Apple does. It's been like it always is: People have been whining and talking **** about Face ID non-stop and two years from now nobody will remember the dark times in which there was no convenient Face ID to unlock one's phone.

18. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

That's sarcasm, right? It's hard to tell these days.

19. Red Oak macrumors regular

I'm insulted. Do you think I know nothing about Apple? Where is your proof Craig ever used the X before his botched demo on stage in front to millions? Didn't you read that FaceId had an epic fail in front of everyone?

Cook is responsible for this mess. I can't believe he has not been fired already

20. matty.p macrumors 6502

That’s what happened with Touch ID changes in iOS 10. They changed the behavior to require a press to unlock then they added the setting in accessibility for rest to unlock. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did the same here. Also if you listen to the interview Craig clearly says you can simply swipe and then once it recognizes yours face it will go straight to the home screen.

21. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

No one should have to listen to the podcast to know that the head of software engineering probably spent a good deal of time and had a ton of input on iPhone X's development.

I sometimes wish the internet didn't allow for anonymity. It would really make a lot more people think twice before posting something really asinine.

22. matty.p macrumors 6502

Would head of software have valuable insights into hardware engineering of the stack of sensors required into the notch? I guess I don’t get what question you want asked maybe.

23. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

I think what @Karma*Police is referencing is the uncanny ability of people to create narratives to support their perceptions and those narratives lacking even a modicum of common sense. Not picking on your reply but it's an example of an answer that, once you think about it, makes no sense.

Being able to quickly disable Touch ID or Face ID or require a password is little to no defense against a robber with a gun. They'd simply tell you to open the phone and give them the password or start your new diet consisting primarily of lead.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Seems like you want Face ID to fail. I can tell you this. Apple values security more over any other feature with the iPhone and takes the consumer protection seriously. Do you really think Apple has not invested the time necessary to ensure this technology is ready for masses? I guarantee Apple's research and development with Face ID is far prepared for those who think they will successfully hack ID. This Company knows what they are doing.

25. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Nope, that demo actually worked as I recall! :D

And also The Joke "Ho Ho Ho iPhone X" Christmas MEME Factory starring Craig F. is just now ramping up! :D