Apple's Craig Federighi: Uncertainty About Face ID Will 'Melt Away' Once People Get iPhone X

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Face ID is here to stay, no way will they bring back Touch ID, it will had more bulk for something not necessary.

They will simply keep on improving face ID from now on, adding more features, making it better and better width improved AI, faster sensors etc

I certainly like the look of it, and don't see why people are complaining about the overall concept. That said I might skip this first year - maybe. Just because it looks slower that Touch ID. Then again Touch ID was slow at first as well.

Reactions: matty.p

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
PSA: Whether Touch ID or Face ID is better it's pretty immaterial to your true security. Both are primarily more convenient than a strong passcode, which is your actual security. Touch ID and Face ID are merely options for those who want to use them. Arguing one over the other is a simply forum fodder. Touch ID is a fairly proven commodity. Face ID will prove it's value and/or effectiveness once it gets out in the wild.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
soundcloud.com
Face ID is here to stay, no way will they bring back Touch ID, it will had more bulk for something not necessary.

They will simply keep on improving face ID from now on, adding more features, making it better and better width improved AI, faster sensors etc

I certainly like the look of it, and don't see why people are complaining about the overall concept. That said I might skip this first year - maybe. Just because it looks slower that Touch ID. Then again Touch ID was slow at first as well.
Touch ID is bulky?

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
The media is designed to over-react and exaggerate to get more people to go to their web-articles and see annoying advertisements.
Exactly like in the above article where it says, "In a discussion that revisited the on-stage gaffe that saw Face ID fail to authenticate his face during Tuesday's event,..."

To my recollection it failed that initial time, but then worked perfectly and smoothly thereafter. However media is media and then there are the haters who keep pouncing on that one moment. I could see people making it an issue IF it never worked at all, but hey people need headlines so...

matty.p

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Touch ID is bulky?
It takes up the space of a home button amount of space. Plus as someone who lives in a climate with rain or snow 5 months a year I do appreciate not having to remove gloves or wipe off the Touch ID constantly those months from now on. Not to mention while I’m sweaty at the gym.

Reactions: iMerik

Act3

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2014
USA
He also explained why users need to swipe to get past the lock screen of the iPhone X, rather than it opening directly with a facial scan - it's so you can still glimpse at the time, check your notifications, or get to the flashlight without the iPhone opening up to the Home screen.
true, but the lift to wake and touch ID also accomplishes the same thing and does it well, with fewer steps to unlock.
[doublepost=1505527453][/doublepost]
i still think the only reason we have faceID is because Apple couldn't get touch ID to work underneath the OLED screen in time
that is so probably true, there were articles about that earlier this year. stop gap
[doublepost=1505527599][/doublepost]
Looking forward to the facials.
they dont call them money shots for nothing, at 1K a piece bring em on says apple

Reactions: BorderingOn

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Not going to lie, at first I was one who didn't want Face ID, but now after seeing it in use and understanding much better how it works I can say I think this will be better than Touch ID. It will only get better from here as well. I think in future iterations of this once Apple has perfected face scanning, they will also incorporate iris scanning. Then they will also bring back Touch ID in an advanced form.
Thank you for admitting that you were one of those people. I said again and again that the majority of people critiquing Face ID will love it when they actually see it in use and hear the explanation / tech behind it.

Serious question though... How do some of you doubt Apple time and time again? Like, so many of you judged Face ID without seeing it. You know Apple isn't stupid. You know they are the biggest company in the world...

How could you possibly think this Face ID would be crap?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....On the other hand facial recognition is a fallable technology. Although Apple has added some layers of technology but a lot of questions how accurate or how safe it is. Considering the fact that it already failed on day one of demo that raises more qiestion. So many unanswered questions and uncertainties about this technology. It will get better that's for sure but it takes time.
It did not fail, but rather worked exactly as designed to do. Will future iterations be refined?....Probably.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
nope not sarcasm

year 2012

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-set-face-unlock-your-htc-one-x-or-evo-4g-lte

sure it was less secure back then, but that was 5 years ago

they took old tech and maybe made it better who knows. touch id wasn't broken
I guess Touch ID was playing catch up too then? Because fingerprint sensors were around years before Apple introduced Touch ID.

Apple never said Touch ID was broken. They're saying Face ID is better. And unlike the gimmicks on Android devices, I'm betting it actually works... just like Touch ID.

ke-iron

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2014
Thank you for admitting that you were one of those people. I said again and again that the majority of people critiquing Face ID will love it when they actually see it in use and hear the explanation / tech behind it.

Serious question though... How do some of you doubt Apple time and time again? Like, so many of you judged Face ID without seeing it. You know Apple isn't stupid. You know they are the biggest company in the world...

How could you possibly think this Face ID would be crap?
This was really the first time I had doubts in the 10 years I’ve been buying their products. I legitimately was scared that this would’ve been less convenient than Touch ID. But that feeling has passed now, and I’m glad.

Erpeters3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
i still think the only reason we have faceID is because Apple couldn't get touch ID to work underneath the OLED screen in time
I keep hearing this and don’t buy it. Their fID implementation must have taken years. They didn’t start this in the last 6-12mo, get a billion faces, build masks, embed it in silicone, etc. this was in the roadmap for years.

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Touch ID has never worked properly for me or for my wife. Works at best 2 times out of 3. In winter time it degrades and works maybe 1 out of 2. Frankly I am sick of putting the pass code in and have often just switched it all off and left the phone insecure as it is such a pain.

Surely this will be better.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Would head of software have valuable insights into hardware engineering of the stack of sensors required into the notch? I guess I don’t get what question you want asked maybe.
Well software engineering had to design for the notch, and the company is definitely embracing the notch. I’d love to know why (instead of using small bezels like other phone manufacturers). If Craig couldn’t answer that then that’s pretty scary.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
They probably figured that a vast majority of people wouldn’t use the feature since a lot of people check their notifications on the lock screen using quick reply options (for apps that support it), so it probably wasn’t worth it for them to add that, as simple as it would be.
If I could design a setting it'd be an initial touch setting. If the phone is woken up via touch (screen tap or button), instant open. If it's lift to wake, swipe.

matty.p

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Well software engineering had to design for the notch, and the company is definitely embracing the notch. I’d love to know why (instead of using small bezels like other phone manufacturers). If Craig couldn’t answer that then that’s pretty scary.
It’s a choice. Just like the essential.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Would head of software have valuable insights into hardware engineering of the stack of sensors required into the notch? I guess I don’t get what question you want asked maybe.
Seeing as software knows optimal positioning and specifications for these hardware prices, yes.

EdT

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Don't expect Apple haters to get the actual device to actually experience the things they complain about. They have a narrative, they won't change their minds about the hate they have.
If the system works as well as Craig says it will, then these people won't matter. If there aren't problems 3rd party reviewers will confirm that the incident was overblown. But if I was Apple I would be buying and testing Face ID with every different brand and type of sunglasses I can find, because you know some of the review sites will search high and low for a set that causes problems.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I’d like to know why they didnt just blend the status bar and remove the notch. You can fix the notch via software, and I’m shocked the software magnifies it, instead of hiding it.