Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's head of diversity and inclusion Christie Smith is leaving the company, according to a Bloomberg report today. Unlike her predecessor, who reported directly to CEO Tim Cook, Smith reported to Apple's senior VP of retail and people, Deirdre O'Brien.

christie-smith-former-apple-diversity-chief-e1592383449965.jpeg
"Inclusion and diversity are core Apple values and we deeply believe the most diverse teams are the most innovative teams," Apple said in an emailed statement confirming the news. "Christie Smith will be leaving Apple to spend more time with her family and we wish her well. Our Inclusion and Diversity team continues to report directly to Deirdre O’Brien on the Executive Team."
Smith's exit was planned two months ago, according to Apple, but Bloomberg's sources report that Tuesday was her last day at work. Her LinkedIn account has been updated to reflect the change in employment status, but Apple has not yet named a replacement.

Smith joined Apple in 2017 and took over the role from Denise Young Smith, who lasted just six months and left after apologizing for controversial comments she made about the mostly white makeup of Apple's executive team.

Smith brought extensive experience to the role, drawn from her 28 years building and leading high performance teams. Prior to joining Apple, Smith was with Deloitte for 17 years as a Client Advisory Principal.

The move comes just a week after CEO Tim Cook announced Apple's Racial Equity and Justice initiative, with a $100 million commitment. Cook says the initiative will build on Apple's existing work in the racial justice space, significantly broadening its scope and impact through a model that was also used for Apple's environmental efforts.

Apple maintains an inclusion and diversity website and shares regular updates on its efforts to diversify its workforce, push pay equity, and work with underserved communities to empower students and educators.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple's Diversity Chief Christie Smith Leaves the Company

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Vanilla35

nikaru

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
This decision has nothing to do with the fact she is white christian female and potentially heterosexual. She just couldnt do properly her job as she was born with white priviliges. The new chief of diversity needs to be a black transgender single mother born in Cuba that converted to islam several years ago. The curriculum is irrelevant.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
What does a diversity chief do? Is it like an ombudsman? I would consider diversity to be a permeating set of firm/company values and code of conduct in matters of recruiting/hiring, staffing, conflict resolution etc than a position per se.

When a company gets big they need all sorts of different departments. Including ones to formulate and oversee the sorts of policies you mention and initiate new ones.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2010
Job Title: Diversity Chief
Role: Ensure all staff balance Apple's colour/gender/race Numbers spreadsheets have access to equal rights and are employed for their skillset.
Criteria: Ideally, an inter-racial over-nourished-but-not-clinically-obese non-conformist (possible) human being whose unassigned-gender is referred to as womb-man.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You know how people say "A picture is worth a thousand words"
Well I have just, a moment ago, taken this image from Apple's own website.

I don't have to say a word..........
Just let you, upon seeing this. Judge for yourself just how serious Apple is as a company to being inclusive to all, and if you feel the words they say, actually mean anything in reality:

Apples-Racist-Leadership.jpg

MRrainer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Don't they just hire competent people that fit in the teams?
To me, this is the sort of problem you address when everything else finally works.
Hello BridgeOS crashes?
Hello MBP 16" power consumption?
[automerge]1592386977[/automerge]

Just let you, upon seeing this. Judge for yourself just how serious Apple is as a company to being inclusive to all, and if you feel the words they say, actually mean anything in reality:

Being a top-executive is incredibly stressful and demanding.
And at Apple, where every time you exhale publicly, it's on some blog or website, I would assume it's "next-level stressful".

Maybe the various "minorities" are just smarter and don't want to engage in the rat-race?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Apple is a deeply unethical company.

They said they are spending $100 million, a line parroted again in this article. It is money being spent internally (if it's actually being spent at all). It is not going anywhere. Saying they are spending $100 million when it's part of their ongoing operations is misleading.

Apple's main problem is not a lack of hiring diversity.

It is a lack of hiring, period.

In this economy, the best thing you could be is an employee: with income, benefits, and insurance.

And yet the world's most wealthy company has just 137,000 employees. That sounds like a large number, but it's small compared to companies that make much less than Apple does both in revenue and profit.

Many (most?) of the people who provide work for Apple are not employees. Many have few if any rights or just compensation.

Talking about diversity is talking about making the sharing of table scraps more equitable across gender and race. The larger issue is that Apple hoards capital and manipulates labor across the world to reward shareholders and high level executives.

Feyl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Czech Republic
Maybe the various "minorities" are just smarter and don't want to engage in the rat-race?
I doubt that anybody would critize them just to not sound racist. It would be actually a good thing for Apple. They could finally do anything they want without questions.

Reactions: Marekul

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
This decision has nothing to do with the fact she is white christian female and potentially heterosexual. She just couldnt do properly her job as she was born with white priviliges. The new chief of diversity needs to be a black transgender single mother born in Cuba that converted to islam several years ago. The curriculum is irrelevant.

People who claim not to be racist, hiring with focus on race.
People who claim not to discriminate against others sexual orientation, making sexual orientation a decision factor in hiring...

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney

View attachment 924766

The word would be: Whitewash!

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
In this economy, the best thing you could be is an employee: with income, benefits, and insurance.

And yet the world's most wealthy company has just 137,000 employees. That sounds like a large number, but it's small compared to companies that make much less than Apple does both in revenue and profit.

Keep in mind that many of the "employee" headcount are the hourly retail staff who get very little in the way of benefits.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010

View attachment 924766

The CEO is homosexual,
Sabih Khan is most likely not "white", neither are Lisa Jackson and Isabel Ge Mahe. It is not THAT bad.
Keep in mind that many executives have worked at Apple for 2 or more decades. How many "diverse" people would even fit that criterion? I agree that diversity is a hugely important issue, but you can't deny the years-long hard work of incredibly smart people and have them not promoted for diversity reasons. How does this represent excellence?

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London

View attachment 924766

This is exactly my point about it being a stunt

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Smith joined Apple in 2017 and took over the role from Denise Young Smith, who lasted just six months and left after apologizing for controversial comments she made about the mostly white makeup of Apple's executive team.

To be clear, this is the "controversial" statement Denise Young Smith said:

“Diversity is the human experience. I get a little bit frustrated when diversity or the term diversity is tagged to the people of color, or the women, or the LGBT,” she told the crowd. Twelve White men with blue eyes can be diverse because they “bring a different life experience and life perspective to the conversation."

Wanted797

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
It’s guaranteed that this job will be filled by a non-white person. That’s a good thing.

But you can’t help thinking that this move is purely a stunt to look good.

I await your comment on the next post once the position is filled.
I think you’ll be correct. the shocking reality is if it takes time we know Apple is clearly racially profiling candidates.
[automerge]1592390031[/automerge]
Apple is always preaching diversity but then you look at their management team and it is overwhelmingly white... So much for diversity!

How about we look past that and pick someone most suited?

laptech

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
For any company to be financially successful, they need to hire the best and if the best happens to be a white person then so be it. I do not begrudge any company wanting to be financially successful, as long as they do so within the confines of the law. No company should be forced to hire someone they do not want but is forced to do so because it ticks the right box.

If people want to complain about the Apple board all being white then why dont you use the great resource of the internet and find a person of colour who is much much better than the white person in that list and justify why you feel that person of colour is better than the one in the list. It will be virtually impossible to do so because anyone you find will already be in a very good job, probably in a position of equal standing to that of those on Apples board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.