Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
I succumbed to my Apple gloom last month by trading my 6S Plus for a Nexus 6P. It lasted two days before I was back with a 6S. Then I went with an S7 Edge and that was lasted three days. Although many, many people give the whole "I'm switching to Android" spiel, it is definitely not worth it. The whole "Internals are beast, Apple is light years behind" is BS. Android is a lagfest which needs just as much tweaking to make it useable as a jailbroken iPhone.

Reactions: Huck

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016
And here's an example illustrating my point exactly. Samsung Galaxy C5 and C7, launched last month. Great way to uglify the iPhone and copy the design in multiple ways, while botching the job in multiple ways in the process. Samsung devices have absolutely no taste and absolute zero originality.

C5_Pink.0.png

However, Samsung's camera looks better and completely different.

I understand the antenna lines and colors, but let's not forget Apple copied the power button placement of the S5, and the antenna lines on the M8. With that said, the S7 and Note 5 are much more aesthetically pleasing than the iPhone 6 series phone, and so is every other flagship, and neither have the ugly antenna lines that make me want to puke every time I see them. Also, why does Apple has such a dinky camera? Make it bigger and center it more if you're going to protrude it.
[doublepost=1465478002][/doublepost]
1) Boobs
2) Breasts
3) A**
4) Face
5) Chest
6) Mammary glands
7) probably face

Um, pretty sure #1, #2, and #5 are the same? o_O

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
However, Samsung's camera looks better and completely different.

I understand the antenna lines and colors, but let's not forget Apple copied the power button placement of the S5, and the antenna lines on the M8. With that said, the S7 and Note 5 are much more aesthetically pleasing than the iPhone 6 series phone, and so is every other flagship, and neither have the ugly antenna lines that make me want to puke every time I see them. Also, why does Apple has such a dinky camera? Make it bigger and center it more if you're going to protrude it.
[doublepost=1465478002][/doublepost]

Um, pretty sure #1, #2, and #5 are the same? o_O
Apple wrecked the iPhone design with antenna lines, popped up camera and moving the power button opposite the volume controls. The camera should be least noticed as possible. All it needs to do is take superb photos, we don't have to see it, we don't need to accentuate it. It doesn't need to be made obvious by being larger or protruded. When it is located at the side, it runs the curve of the body, instead of floating out there in the middle.
iphone4scamera.png

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016
Apple wrecked the iPhone design with antenna lines, popped up camera and moving the power button opposite the volume controls. The camera should be least noticed as possible. All it needs to do is take superb photos, we don't have to see it, we don't need to accentuate it. It doesn't need to be made obvious by being larger or protruded. When it is located at the side, it runs the curve of the body, instead of floating out there in the middle.
iphone4scamera.png

I like the design of the black iPhone 4 the best (obviously the one in your picture).

I wish the iPhone still looked like that, just with smaller bezels in the front.

Small bezel, and with the fingerprint scanner built into the screen. Of course this is Tim Cook's Apple we're talking about, so it will take them 10 years to figure out how to do it, and 5 years after the competition already figured it out.

Reactions: Huck and smacrumon

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
"Too much bling" is glass back with a large protruding camera?
Yes, too much bling. SE, like 5S and 4/4S have probably the neatest back designs to date with little bling, just the necessary items to get the job done.

See the Samsung S7 camera. The cut out is unnecessarily oversized. Then to the right, we have a flash, with a small part and a larger part with lots of little parts. There is no symmetry, no balance. Then both parts are encased in a superficial frame.

See the Apple iPhone SE camera. The size is true to its function, no unnecessary over sized cutout. The flash is symmetrical and balanced in both sections. There is even spacing. There are no unnecessary frames.

That's what's wrong with Samsung's approach, and that's what's right with Apple's previous approaches. (iPhone 6/6s is anomaly.)

image.png

S7

image.png

SE
[doublepost=1465481137][/doublepost]
I like the design of the black iPhone 4 the best (obviously the one in your picture).

I wish the iPhone still looked like that, just with smaller bezels in the front.

Small bezel, and with the fingerprint scanner built into the screen. Of course this is Tim Cook's Apple we're talking about, so it will take them 10 years to figure out how to do it, and 5 years after the competition already figured it out.
Hopefully sooner!

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016
See the Samsung S7 camera. The cut out is unnecessarily oversized.

It's a better camera. I'm sure it requires more internals; thus, the bigger size. Personally I'd rather have a bigger camera that's better.

Then to the right, we have a flash, with a small part and a larger part with lots of little parts

That's a heart rate monitor. It's a feature of the phone, which is nice for those who like to use health apps.

Then both parts are encased in a superficial frame.

The iPhone has a superficial frame too, although it's uglier.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's a better camera. I'm sure it requires more internals; thus, the bigger size. Personally I'd rather have a bigger camera that's better.

That's a heart rate monitor. It's a feature of the phone, which is nice for those who like to use health apps.

iPhone is iconic. Beauty is on the eye of the beholder anyway.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016

You have this incorrect in multiple areas. The Galaxy camera isn't better. Both the iPhone SE and Galaxy S7 use a Sony 12 megapixel camera. The Samsung S7 cut out is pointlessly oversized.

That heart rate monitor on the Galaxy S7 is completely unresolved. Here are heart rate sensors on Apple Watch that customers typically never see, yet are beautiful, well thought out and finished immaculately. Symmetrical and balanced.

The camera and flash modules are frameless on iPhone whereas the Galaxy there's a frame around the camera and the flash/sensor. The frames are unnecessary.

When it comes down to it, there's a lot right with Apple's approach, whereas the opposite is true for Samsung.

apple-watch-heart-rate-sensors-hero.jpg

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You have this incorrect in multiple areas. The Galaxy camera isn't better. Both the iPhone SE and Galaxy S7 use a Sony 12 megapixel camera. The Samsung S7 cut out is pointlessly oversized.

That heart rate monitor on the Galaxy S7 is completely unresolved. Here are heart rate sensors on Apple Watch that customers typically never see, yet are beautiful, well thought out and finished immaculately. Symmetrical and balanced.

The camera and flash modules are frameless on iPhone whereas the Galaxy there's a frame around the camera and the flash/sensor. The frames are unnecessary.

When it comes down to it, there's a lot right with Apple's approach, whereas the opposite is true for Samsung.

apple-watch-heart-rate-sensors-hero.jpg
You should probably know what you are talking about before you respond with such arrogance. It is true that both the iPhone 6s and the Galaxy S7 have 12 megapixel cameras but the S7 has larger pixels and is a larger sensor overall (which plays a part in why the S7 has better low light performance) hence why the camera on the S7 is larger. Apple has also abandoned their clean lines for a protruding camera with a metal ring frame so that argument is also baseless.

Also, in my opinion the Apple Watch is the ugliest watch I have ever seen. If other people like it, good for them. I appreciate that not everyone shares my taste. I'm glad for it actually, it would be a pretty bland and boring world if everyone did have the same taste. You need to get over yourself and stop calling people who prefer flashier designs tasteless. Your entire attitude reeks of elitist arrogance.

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016
You have this incorrect in multiple areas. The Galaxy camera isn't better. Both the iPhone SE and Galaxy S7 use a Sony 12 megapixel camera.

More arrogance and ignorance on your part. First, the megapixel count doesn't constitute the quality of photos. Second, yes it is superior, both on the front and the back.

I'm just gonna throw it out there right now, I don't give two craps about the SE. It's a repackaged iPhone 5S with a processor and camera update.

Reactions: rjohnstone

PizzaBoxStyle

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
Apple HQ Cupterino Spaceship
The differences between an airline and a consumer electronics company are to numerous to list, but just start with one: an airline has enormous fixed costs and can't scale their expenses to match reduced revenue.

I'm sure you're right about the multitude of differences between airliners and CE companies. I won't pretend to know anything about the modern airline company/business outside of the rule that I shouldn't wait to book a flight any sooner than, on average, 21 days to takeoff.

But... The point I was trying to make (and illustrate) is that it doesn't matter how much cash a company has in its reserves, they can still go under. I guess I should have made that clearer.

Having a lot of cash isn't some honorary degree, and this kind of thing has already happened to Apple once before. It's also happened to many, many others in the tech field. You can watch this happening live right now with IBM.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I'm sure you're right about the multitude of differences between airliners and CE companies. I won't pretend to know anything about the modern airline company/business outside of the rule that I shouldn't wait to book a flight any sooner than, on average, 21 days to takeoff.

But... The point I was trying to make (and illustrate) is that it doesn't matter how much cash a company has in its reserves, they can still go under. I guess I should have made that clearer.

Having a lot of cash isn't some honorary degree, and this kind of thing has already happened to Apple once before. It's also happened to many, many others in the tech field. You can watch this happening live right now with IBM.
I certainly agree that even a tech titan can fall. You'd have to fill me in on what IBM's problems are, but Nokia and Motorola are two that come to mind. The time it will take to happen though will be longer with larger cash reserves, and shorter with larger operating losses so it does matter how much cash they have and what kind of business they're in.

And the big failures are usually due to sudden shifts in the market rather than slow stagnation, which is what people are concerned about with Apple.

I should add that while people are complaining about Apple not pushing new technologies to market, I don't see any indication that they're not staying abreast of developments. Looking at their pattern of acquisitions and R&D spending, it doesn't look to me like they're blind to a coming wave that's about to swamp them. Of course that's the thing about disruption-- you rarely see it coming...

Last edited:

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
You should probably know what you are talking about before you respond with such arrogance. It is true that both the iPhone 6s and the Galaxy S7 have 12 megapixel cameras but the S7 has larger pixels and is a larger sensor overall (which plays a part in why the S7 has better low light performance) hence why the camera on the S7 is larger. Apple has also abandoned their clean lines for a protruding camera with a metal ring frame so that argument is also baseless.

Also, in my opinion the Apple Watch is the ugliest watch I have ever seen. If other people like it, good for them. I appreciate that not everyone shares my taste. I'm glad for it actually, it would be a pretty bland and boring world if everyone did have the same taste. You need to get over yourself and stop calling people who prefer flashier designs tasteless. Your entire attitude reeks of elitist arrogance.
More arrogance and ignorance on your part. First, the megapixel count doesn't constitute the quality of photos. Second, yes it is superior, both on the front and the back.

I'm just gonna throw it out there right now, I don't give two craps about the SE. It's a repackaged iPhone 5S with a processor and camera update.
Sorry, no ignorance here! Just facts. As I previously pointed out, iPhone 6/6S is an anomaly, an aberration, it shouldn't have a protruding camera and antenna lines, Apple regressed its good design principles on that one. The iPhone 5/5s/SE is where it's at in terms of simplicity.

Now, we are talking about for iPhone 6S (Sony Exmor RS 12 MP) - 1.22 μm per pixel, sensor size 6.02 mm (1/2.9") and Galaxy S7 (ISOCELL S5K2L1 or Sony Exmor R IMX260 12 MP) - 1.4 μm per pixel, sensor size is 7.18 mm (1/2.5”). The sensors sizes are only 1.16mm different.

The size of the cut out for the Samsung camera and the framing is completely unnecessary. Galaxy is total bling, bling, bling and flash in the pan design. Samsung devices don't follow good design principles, they focus on excess. Simplicity, purity and design honesty is what is key. That's the point I'm trying to communicate.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.