Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I am with Apple on this one and think it is blown out of proportion. For people still liking wired solutions, there IS an adapter that is included for free with any iPhone not having a headphone jack. If one loses/breakes it, the new one is easy to get. Klipsch that are mentioned in the article, by the way, offer quite a few wireless sets by now, so do all the other major makers. Time to move on, imho.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Doesn't really surprise me that the same people whining about removing the headphone jack are the type of people that will lose the adapter it comes with and need to buy another one.

Eh, its probably a lot people buying second, third, forth adapters for high use items so that they don't have to go looking for their adapter constantly as they switch devices. But hey, complain about the complainers as you wish.

Reactions: ssgbryan and iLLUMI

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
what is the point then? you provided a meme that is supposed to illustrate that earpods dont work with iphones. the iphones come with earpods specifically for the phone.
The point is that there was no need to remove the headphone jack in the first place let alone making users carrying a dongle that can easily break and be lost, and when it does you need to purchase another one. Not everyone uses the Apple's earpods many users carry their own headphones that are used for many devices.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Glad to know that the latency does not bother you.:eek:

I had bluetooth earphone in the past, but they were messy to setup, they kept disconnecting, had a short range and really bad quality.
I have to say Bluetooth in general, and in particular Apple's version found in W1 has gotten better and better and is now great.
I only seldom listen to music on my iPhone and I prefer my wired headphones for that, but for podcast and phone calls bluetooth is really convenient, good quality, good range and no more cables.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Market research:

1 - People want an ordinary headphone jack.

2 - Peolle are willing to pay an Apple tax to get both the headphone jack and an Apple product.

Whats the alternative? Android has limited updates and is a privacy nightmare. If there was a third platform that combined the flexibility of android, with the privacy/security/updates of iOS that would be great

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
This is true. Wireless will eventually be the standard. But this really speaks to Apple's (albeit small) misfire when it came to this idea. It is a big reason I still hold onto my 6s Plus.

I don't see it as a misfire...if they didn't push the concept who would?

I'm guessing I am a fairly typical user. I have a 7, along with a set of Bose wireless headphones that i use for listening at the office. But I don't typically take calls on them and I certainly don't use them when I run, because people who run with big bulky headphones look like dorks and there's nothing you can say that will change my mind on that :).

When I make calls or run, I use the lightning wired pods that came with the phone.

I keep the dongle in my bag, but I honestly don't think I've ever used it. The one time I suppose it would be useful is if I let the battery on my Bose headphones die...they come with an aux plug so you can use them (minus noise cancellation) if the battery dies. for that, I'd need a dongle, but I've never had it happen.

I'd actually find a reverse of the dongle more useful. I've got an old iPad running the Peloton app on my spin bike. The iPad is so old I can't use it without it being plugged in. Since I have lightning earpods, I'd need a different dongle to plug that into the aux jack of the iPad.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Overall, the data suggests wired headphones remain popular, but remember that AirPods are the one Apple product outselling the adapter at Best Buy, so many customers are also embracing wireless.

All this "no cords" crap works so nicely in that white, featureless future that Apple commercials are made in, but the real world has a way of intruding sometimes. Wifi gets flaky... cellular signal cuts out in a rural area... Bluetooth isn't available -- and then suddenly, lo and behold, that "obsolete" port or onboard storage is looking pretty good.

I just rented a car the other day that didn't have Bluetooth -- because I have an iPhone SE, I was able to use the headphone jack to AUX cable to play music/directions and at the same time use the Lightning port to keep the phone charged. In a perfect Jony Ive world, I'd be using a flat, sealed slab of glass that would have no physical I/O ports. All signals would be perfect, all tech would be new. I don't live in that world.

Last edited:

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
Leave the dongle connected to your headphones. Problem solved.
This - even if you have multiple headphone sets just buy the requisite amount of adapters and leave them connected. I'm failing to understand the problem here. FWIW I have two sets of 3.5mm plug headphones, and two permanently connected adapters.

I suppose some people do swap headphones to other devices with 3.5mm sockets.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I had bluetooth earphone in the past, but they were messy to setup, they kept disconnecting, had a short range and really bad quality.
I have to say Bluetooth in general, and in particular Apple's version found in W1 has gotten better and better and is now great.
I only seldom listen to music on my iPhone and I prefer my wired headphones for that, but for podcast and phone calls bluetooth is really convenient, good quality, good range and no more cables.

ive yet not asked someone talking on a bluetooth headset to please disconnect and talk into the phone. They all sound like absolute cr***p on the other end. Mostly because they have horrible (usually NONE) noise cancellation on their mics.

Reactions: tom5304

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
The point is that there was no need to remove the headphone jack in the first place let alone making users carrying a dongle that can easily break and be lost, and when it does you need to purchase another one. Not everyone uses the Apple's earpods many users carry their own headphones that are used for many devices.
i think this is a super small subset of the market. wireless is becoming increasingly popular. didnt they fill the space on the iphone where the 3.5mm jack was with a barometer? idk about you but i would rather the barometer than another dust collecting port that i will never use.

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
These the same folks who have steam driven cars? And they keep that floppy disk drive around because it's just so convenient? Maybe a Zip drive too? Kidding...but so far the wireless headphones I have bought for myself and family work great and sound great. So I'm not sure why one would be so angry about changing with the times. I can see if you have a great set of headphones you'd hang onto to it for awhile, but people buy new phones every year, they update their TV's constantly, I know people who buy new cars as soon as they can afford it to get the latest technology. So many bits of modern life come about not because they need to, but because they are just slightly more convent or easier to use. Look at a modern kitchen for gadgets galore that no one reallllly needs. So it's interesting that people feel wired headphones is the place to lay down in front of the bulldozer.

It may also say something intriguing about who shops at Best Buy and those customers attachment to technology. My guess is (be interesting to find out) that at Apple Stores they don't sell a ton.

Reactions: spinnyd

cgibson190

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Chicago, IL
I haven’t lost a single one of these dongles since puchasing my iPhone 7 in September of 2016. However, I have purchased three, on top of the three that have come with my personal iPhone 7, my work iPhone 7, and now my iPhone X, and I only have two left that work. That’s because these dongles are the cheapest piece of Apple design ever created. I listen to music on wired headphones at least three hours a day (wired is my preference), and with every single one of these adapters, I get good sound for a while, then a little static, then dropouts, then eventually the device is unusable. There are a couple of brands that make more expensive versions, but lose phone functionality, so those don’t work for my needs. Finally, my headphone maker (Master & Dynamic) added a lightning cable to their lineup, and it has been working great, so far!

dirtymagician

Suspended
Jul 24, 2012
I posed this question to a few people i know and their response was "yeah my kids are always loosing them, when the headphones are pulled out, they pull the dongle off and then it goes missing, usually down the back of the sofa, or in the bedroom or wherever" Kids being kids they won't remember where they put it and despite being told to leave the dongle on the headphones it still happens. So by the time it's been found another has been bought and so on.

What adults do with them i've no idea :rolleyes:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
or you could just use the standard headphones.... i cant think of a single reason or use case where it would be logical to turn my airpods into a wired version.

They wouldn't be wired... it would be a wireless airpod receiver that you plug into the 3.5mm port.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Wound, meet salt...

I will simmer forever about this arrogant decision, with nothing resembling an eye on the customer.
let-it-go.jpg

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
But wireless is the future... I use mine mostly to connect to my home stereo setup that doesn't have bluetooth.

Get a used old Airport Extreme. works AMAZINGLY well since its not bluetooth but over Wifi. They also can output either analog or digital. On ebay can get them for $20 or less nowadays.

Reactions: bad03xtreme

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I’ve heard rumors that soon, though probably not this year, there won’t be any adapter ports on iPhones. You’ll have to charge wirelessly and your only options for connecting other devices to use your phone as a sound source will be Bluetooth or WiFi. And I thought of people who have bought a car equipped with CarPlay. Until very recently you HAD to use a cable to connect your car to an iPhone. So if you buy a new iPhone in the next few years does that mean you won’t be able to connect to your 2-5 year old car because it requires a cable?

I am sure, of course, that Apple will provide an adapter that you can plug into your CarPlay port to convert the phone Bluetooth signal BACK to the Lightning cable format so you can again use CarPlay needing only one additional dongle that provides, at a cost, what CarPlay required as a hookup method to iPhones in the first place.

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
I still have two that are still in the packaging that they came in with the phones I've bought. Never to be used.

Airpods are a thing you know.

Reactions: spinnyd

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
It's $9. How much was your iPhone? The one where they gave you one. If you have wired headphones, you're gonna need the adapter. That's about he extent of this discussion. When you go to buy another one think of it as karmic payback for all the music you downloaded for free (stole).

Reactions: the johnmc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.