Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I bought a few of these when I got my 8+ 7 mo ago. One for my car and one for my office. But I just ordered direct from Apple.com. Now that I have Airpods, I've given away both, given away my wired headphones, and am having a blast. Also got a new car with Bluetooth. I use Airpods at home/work all day now - even preferring to call in with iPhone to conferences so I can use Airpods - very happy with them.

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
I was never a believer but recent purchase of airpods have been best choice i have made. They are fantastic and best part no cords or anything to deal with.

My 5-6 airpods around the home are bunched up in the same place...just like old usb cables.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I don’t use headphones with my phone that often, which makes wireless even more annoying (outlay plus remembering to keep charged) so I don’t really applaud the removal of the jack, though it’s not something I’m enormously upset about. Goes to show though, Apple were previously accelerating currents of change that already existed when they dropped standards - feels like they are swimming against the tide lately.

dirt_farmer

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2018
This is one of the best posts in a long time.

The emperor has no clothes.

After abandoning its' customers in computing, a hubris-drunk Apple believes it can throw its' weight around in the consumer electronics space.

"You don't use headphones", says Apple in melodious tones, while allowing a pocket watch to slowly pendulum in front of the customer's eyes.

"YES I DO" says the customer, checking his watch and wondering when it would be polite to excuse himself.

18% marketshare guys. 18%.

upload_2018-6-27_9-21-5.png

Your bluetooth speaker isn't working out. Your watch bands get great margins but not enough to live on.

Your Beats By Doctor Dre acquisition was prescient and demonstrates the direction your business is going.

Just not in the way you think it does.

Reactions: Regime2008

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Literally just yesterday I overheard a guy in IT take a call from someone asking if we had a spare headphone adapter on-hand because they had lost theirs (why would corporate IT have that for your personal phone?)

So yes, I can believe this. And this should be a sign to Apple that the world isn't quite ready yet for the wireless future it is pushing, even if I personally am pretty much there (I only use wireless headphones).
The world is never ready for emerging technology and new standards but that doesn't mean tech companies should wait for the majority to catch up before making a move. I've also been hearing about how ubiquitous USB-C is now for over a year and yet I've yet to see a single retail store with a USB-C power cable. They are all lightning and USB Micro.

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
I would still prefer the integrated port.

It is allot simpler than having to deal with various adapters, worrying about charging additional devices, changing devices, etc.

I've ended up digging out my old iPod Classic because there are scenarios where it is allot easier to deal with e.g. listening while charging.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

jscooper22

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Remember when Steve Jobs rolled out the 1st iPhone and said he didn't want a stylus for it because people kept losing them? That was neat.

Reactions: aylk

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Not surprised. I am pretty tempted to trade this 7+ in for an SE as I need the jack. I refuse to go wireless (another expense, something else to charge etc.)

I tried using the adapter twice with wired headphones, just not for me.

Reactions: aylk

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
This is one of the best posts in a long time.

The emperor has no clothes.

After abandoning its' customers in computing, a hubris-drunk Apple believes it can throw its' weight around in the consumer electronics space.

"You don't use headphones", says Apple in melodious tones, while allowing a pocket watch to slowly pendulum in front of the customer's eyes.

"YES I DO" says the customer, checking his watch and wondering when it would be polite to excuse himself.

18% marketshare guys. 18%.

View attachment 767976

Your bluetooth speaker isn't working out. Your watch bands get great margins but not enough to live on.

Your Beats By Doctor Dre acquisition was prescient and demonstrates the direction your business is going.

Just not in the way you think it does.
Don't forget to pull out the old marketshare charts for every argument no matter how irrelevant. This just in...most people buy things that are cheaper (i.e., free operating systems on phones that collect user data as a business model)

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
When your best selling product is something that's needed to restore basic functionality to another product then you've lost your way in form over function.

"Overall, the data suggests wired headphones remain popular, but remember that AirPods are the one Apple product outselling the adapter at Best Buy, so many customers are also embracing wireless."

You stand corrected, kind sir. It seems the only product to show better sales than the adapter is AirPods.

Reactions: spinnyd

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
65 million people in the world don't even have anywhere where they can call 'home' and people moan about something as shallow as this! Get over yourselves humans!

Only 65 million! That would be North America alone.
Such first world problems!

People moaning over the 3.5mm socket going really makes me angry. They must lead very sad lives to worry about something that is easily fixed through a tiny dongle. Seriously!

People can be more than one thing; i.e., happy living and angry with Apple over the meaningless loss of the earphone jack.

If Apple is so pro wireless, what better platform than the Mac lineup to remove the headphone jack - they are devices much larger than the phones, never carried in the pant/shirt pocket and used in a stationary posture most of the time. No courage from Apple there!

#logicallystupid

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
. So I'm not sure why one would be so angry about changing with the times.

because the times aren't really changing. the 3.5mm headphone jack, outside of the phone world is still the #1 audio connector in the world, with absolutely zero need for it to go away. it is found on trillions of devices worldwide.

in addition, users are angry about it not because wireless is good. it is, but because by removing the jack, the option is effectively made for us. when there's the headphone jack, want to use wireless? GO FOR IT, there's nothing prohibiting this. but remove the jack and options have been removed. many of us still use wired headphones for many different reasons. Wireless is great for many use cases, but it's got some flaws that means it's not always the ideal choice.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Wait till they get rid of the lightning port.

Then you'd need a headphone jack to bluetooth adapter. :)

Reactions: oldhifi

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Wait till they get rid of the lightning port.

Then you'd need a headphone jack to bluetooth adapter. :)

I remember when Huawei did that and they were absolutely slammed for it.

bet if Apple does it, people will claim it's the most innovative thing ever.

Reactions: kahkityoong

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I was never a believer but recent purchase of airpods have been best choice i have made. They are fantastic and best part no cords or anything to deal with.

My 5-6 airpods around the home are bunched up in the same place...just like old usb cables.
Agreed. These AirPods are possibly the second best Apple product I've ever owned. Never realized how much I hated corded earphones until I stop using them. These people are missing out big time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.