Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Stick to local hard drives and paper.

Sooooooo lets see, stick to local hard drives and paper and nothing else and then what happens when a fire/earthquake rolls through town??? x.x

Or do what most good IT depts do and HARNESS the cloud: beefy local storage for real time transactions on the local side, real time remote journaling 2x remote sites for disaster recovery (banks do 3x or more) and electronic vaulting for all that crap that we don't need to access on a regular basis at some underground data warehousing facility in the middle of nevada.

iCloud aint "the" cloud. It's a wonky platform that has it's share of problems. REAL cloud vendors/app devs are making strides in this space every day. BMC, ADP, SAP, Oracle etc

toshmac

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Philadelphia metro
Just one of the many reasons why cloud storage is a bad bad idea.

Other reasons:
- Security
- Lack of connectivity everywhere
- Internet provider problems (lagging, busy, cant connect, etc.)
- content access based on a company rather than yourself

Yet so many people think cloud computing is the future, if it is we're in for a horrible future.

Good point about content access based on a company. Reminds me of when family members create an e-mail address tied to their ISP then throw a fit when they want to switch for a better deal and have to decouple from the previous company. However, I thought Apple's iCloud downloaded content to your devices locally when they have connectivity and Apple isn't experiencing server issues, and then if the service goes down you can still access what's been synced. Is that not the case? I understand the iMessage problem, but there's always SMS. I guess situations could arrise where an outage could prevent access to something you planned on being able to access with iCloud. I would think they have more redundancy then we'd ever have individually even with copious amounts of storage and backups.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
.... and so this is how it begins. Mark your calendars, this is the day Apple starts it's downfall.
One day a random outage, the next time total chaos.

And I agree with some previous posters... cloud computing is NOT the way to go.

Now if I could just remember my password to iCloud.

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
What. How awesome do people think a free service with no SLA is going to be? Who is storing critical files on here? There are vendors out there who are doing cloud based computing/SaaS very very well every day of the week. iCloud != industry leading 99.999% standards

I wasn't knocking any particular service. I speaking generally, and not just about computing. If you put a product from our generation next to say your father's or grandfather's generation, you will most certainly see a difference quality.

The point I tried to make was CYA, always cover your ass.

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
This.

It's astonishing that this isn't common sense. Promotes laziness because of its convience, and when it fails, we piss and moan. I've lived by the virtue that if you want something done right/your way, do it yourself. Quality and reliablity are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

I've always backed up locally. Cloud computing is just a perk, and if it fails, no harm no foul.

how can you NOT have it locally?? it´s great for syncing idevices, but I´m quite certain you have your contact/gamesave/picture etc. somewhere locally :)
I actually pay for dev account and online storage, and as a customer I want to know what´s wrong and when it´s solved..

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
i haven't had any problems here in the northeast US. iMessage was a little slow but did send. on engadget someone said facebook's data center in NC had problems too so maybe something is buggy down there.

It would be cool to see the monitoring system they have to tell them where the problem resides though

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
This is why I prefer to have everything stored locally on my device and end up getting the highest capacity I can. A huge drawback of cloud computing is that someone else has to maintain your access.

I wonder how many people had a critical file they couldn't access in iCloud today? Good for managing contacts and calendars but not reliable enough for anything else.

Honestly it really should just remind people how trivial everything we do really is. I guarantee 99.9999% of people don't have files that are at all critical. who's life was in the balance due not getting to iCloud? what company just went out of business because they couldn't access a spreadsheet at that exact moment?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
This.

It's astonishing that this isn't common sense. Promotes laziness because of its convience, and when it fails, we piss and moan. I've lived by the virtue that if you want something done right/your way, do it yourself. Quality and reliablity are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

I've always backed up locally. Cloud computing is just a perk, and if it fails, no harm no foul.

are you on drugs? one of the things i learned in school 25 years ago is that new cars only last for no more than 5 years and don't ever buy a car built on Monday, tuesday, thursday or friday

bcfran

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
BC Canada
Icloud and Apple

I had to speak to Apple Canada, and all day Monday and part of Tuesday they could not access their computers to check on the imei number on my cell phone. Yesterday late afternoon, Apples computer was up for them to check.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
I love the highly informative number of users affected.
K6y0t.png

So Random

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
Just one of the many reasons why cloud storage is a bad bad idea.

Other reasons:
- Security
- Lack of connectivity everywhere
- Internet provider problems (lagging, busy, cant connect, etc.)
- content access based on a company rather than yourself

Yet so many people think cloud computing is the future, if it is we're in for a horrible future.

You *should* have a local copy, like with Dropbox. Problem solved.

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
are you on drugs? one of the things i learned in school 25 years ago is that new cars only last for no more than 5 years and don't ever buy a car built on Monday, tuesday, thursday or friday

Huh? Yeah I've heard the term you've got a "Wednesday" engine, in reference to a engine that makes more power than the engine built behind it with indentical specs, but I do not know how that aligns with my questionable drug use or post?

sirgromit

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Had some issues accessign iCloud.com but now seems resolved.

I am receiving a huge amout of spam today from my .mac address. Related?

I've also been bombarded with spam since this morning. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
This is why I prefer to have everything stored locally on my device and end up getting the highest capacity I can. A huge drawback of cloud computing is that someone else has to maintain your access.

I wonder how many people had a critical file they couldn't access in iCloud today? Good for managing contacts and calendars but not reliable enough for anything else.

Tell me how email and iMessage are to be only handled locally please.
I personally could care less about documents in the "cloud", it's gimped anyway- when pdf's can't apply; forget using it.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Huh? Yeah I've heard the term you've got a "Wednesday" engine, in reference to a engine that makes more power than the engine built behind it with indentical specs, but I do not know how that aligns with my questionable drug use or post?

this fantasy that stuff built 50 years ago was made better than today, is just a fantasy.

making stuff was more expensive and you had all kinds of repair shops because people fixed their things. today people just buy new. its cheaper and you get a newer product with more/better features

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i had slow access to email for several weeks now. intermittently it would take minutes for icloud email to refresh and emails would be delivered with minutes to hours delay. at the same time yahoo and google mail did work so it was not a connection problem.

this reminds me a bit of mobileme. i hope i'm wrong.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
There is nothing like standalone content without requiring any external connection. Cloud whatever? No, thanks!

FrogsterDude

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Spotty connection

My connection to iMessage and the iTunes store is spotty. It works for minutes at a time then stops, then starts working again.

Currently iTunes Match is completely down. Rocklin, CA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.