Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A trio of reports out today is beginning to pin down some more rumored details for Apple's smaller "iPad mini", suggesting that the device will carry a narrower profile than previously thought and perhaps match the iPod touch's 7.2 mm thickness.

The first report comes from 9to5 Mac, which claims that the iPad mini will "look like a big iPod touch", with narrower bezels along the sides of the device paired with more traditional, thicker bezels at the top and bottom.
This iPod touch-like design makes a lot of sense for a number of reasons. For one, when compared to the Nexus 7 (and Kindle Fire, Galaxy Tab 7, RIM Playbook, etc.), this would give the iPad mini a similar, "purse-able," and "big pocket-able" form factor but with a larger 4:3 display. The lack of a bezel on the sides will make it easier to hold too.
The report goes on to speculate that the iPad mini will offer at least a front-facing camera and perhaps LTE connectivity on some models, and a lack of significant part leaks suggests that the device may not be ready to begin shipping for several more months.

The second report comes from iMore, which backs up the earlier report and offers its own thoughts on the iPad mini's design, as well as a rendering of the rumored device.
Based on several sources, I believe that design to be an accurate representation of what the iPad mini will look like. In addition, it's my understanding that it will be the exact same thinness as the iPod touch, which is substantially thinner than the 9.7-inch iPad. The quick mockup [below] shows what I believe are accurate proportions for the iPad mini compared to the 9.7-inch iPad and the current generation iPod touch 4.
imore_ipad_mini_mockup.jpg
Finally, Daring Fireball's John Gruber shares his thoughts on the device, including his belief that some of the leaked rear shell photos may indeed be genuine given the similarities seen among several independent leaks. Gruber goes on to argue in support of the narrower side bezels, noting that with the device falling in between the full-size iPad and the iPod touch its design is likely to similarly fall somewhere between the two existing devices.
The iPad 3 -- the whole device, not just the display -- measures 241.2 × 185.7 mm. Divide and that comes out to roughly 1.3, which is very close to the aspect ratio of the iPad display (1.333...). [...]

That's not true for the iPhone and iPod Touch. The iPhone 4S is 115.2 × 58.6 mm; divide and you get roughly 1.97 -- far different proportions than the 1.5 (3:2) aspect ratio of the display. Again, just look at it.

Should not the iPad Mini fall somewhere in between?
Gruber goes on to perform some calculations estimating the size of the iPad mini at roughly 200 x 135 mm, only slightly larger than Google's Nexus 7 despite having a screen 0.85 inches larger diagonally, a feat made possible by the narrow side bezels on the iPad mini.

But with a thickness in line with the iPod touch, the iPad mini would be one-third thinner than the Nexus 7 and thus encompass roughly one-third less volume and one-third less weight. Comparing this to the Nexus 7's weight of 340 grams, Gruber suggests that the iPad mini could weigh just 265 grams, marking a major weight savings over the full-size iPad while still retaining a reasonable display size.

Details on Apple's release plans for the iPad mini remain up in the air, but iMore appears to be standing by its earlier claim that the device will be introduced at Apple's iPhone media event reportedly set for September 12. Unlike the next-generation iPhone, it will likely be a fair amount of time before the iPad mini actually launches, with the company likely to begin ramping production to achieve availability just in time for the holiday shopping season.

Article Link: Apple's iPad Mini: Thinner, Lighter and Narrower

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Who would have guessed??!?!

an ipad mini that is thinner lighter and narrower?

blows the mind away!
:eek:

Radio

Last edited by a moderator:

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Who would of guessed??!?!

an ipad mini that is thinner lighter and narrower?

blows the mind away!
:eek:

one would wonder if an ipad xl would be a thicker heavier ipad?! :confused:

I would actually assume that an iPad XL would be thinner as well, since it has more surface area to fit things inside of. They're fitting an iPad into a smaller screen size, so if it actually were to be thicker even, it wouldn't be surprising.

Not as obvious as you think.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Thats interesting, I bet Apple can pull it off :) The mockup is meh but I mean I have to get used to lots of Apple design before I like it :apple:

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
iPod touch thin!? Holy crap...

If its truly that thin I might trade in my "New iPad" if I can manage to lose the retina :confused:

I'm pumped to see the announcement and will definitely be picking up a couple of these for longer distance family to FaceTime with.

$249 is key, I hope they hit that...

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
The bezel appears to be too small. I don't want my thumb accidentally touching the display when I'm holding it by the side bezel.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I will probably buy one of these at the right price point. I simply can't justify the need for a tablet at $500+. I think Apple is making a good decision here. Even though they are a little late in this segment, they're still ahead of the game and that's what counts.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I'm more curious about the pricing than anything else. We have to see where the mini hits between iPad and iPod Touch in pricing without invalidating iPod Touch.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
I'm more curious about the pricing than anything else. We have to see where the mini hits between iPad and iPod Touch in pricing without invalidating iPod Touch.

Price for Ipad Mini would be interesting especially if Microsoft price the Surface at $199 as rumored.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/14/microsoft-surface-199/

According to an inside source, a session was held at Microsoft's recent TechReady15 conference in which all the launch details were laid out. If things go according to the plan detailed then, the Surface for Windows RT tablet will be launching October 26th -- no surprise there -- at a compelling price of $199.

Microsoft can weather the loss like they did with XBOX ($3.5 billion loss by 2005).

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/15/the-making-of-the-xbox-part-2/

After four years, Microsoft’s Home and Entertainment Group reported a total loss of $4 billion. That number included some other money-losing ventures too. But the vast majority of it was due to Xbox and the loss that the company was taking on every machine that it made. Insiders believed that Microsoft lost $3.7 billion on the original Xbox by 2005. That amounted to a $168 loss on every machine that Microsoft sold.

Microsoft is losing BADLY in the mobile battle (smartphone and tablet). It needs to do something "unexpected" in order to gain marketshare. What better way than price?

Smartphone: Windows has a 3.5% marketshare compare to 68.1% for Android.
Tablet: 0%

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The thinner bezel on the sides doesn't make sense to me. They compare it to the iPhone, but the iPhone you cradle your entire hand around. You can't do that with an iPad Mini size device. Furthermore, you want to read, ideally, in portrait mode, and the thin bezels seem like they'd make it more difficult to hold, not easier.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
iPod touch thin!? Holy crap...

If its truly that thin I might trade in my "New iPad" if I can manage to lose the retina :confused:

I'm pumped to see the announcement and will definitely be picking up a couple of these for longer distance family to FaceTime with.

$249 is key, I hope they hit that...

Yeap same here. My money is ready! iPod touch thin do want!

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
I STILL DON'T BELIEVE APPLE WOULD EVER RELEASE THIS!!
Here's why....Apple once said they were not scared of cannibalizing their pc sales with the iPad but I believe they are scared of cannibalizing their iPad sales!! iPhone is in a whole different league to do it but an iPad mini would kill off the bigger iPad!! Why buy a 600$ iPad when you can get the mini with a slightly smaller screen for a much lower price??
iPad is killing everything right now why mess with success??

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
The bezel appears to be too small. I don't want my thumb accidentally touching the display when I'm holding it by the side bezel.

Funny thing is, when the iPad first came out, everyone was saying the bezel was thick and needed to be smaller. Even I thought so, but once I bought the first iPad, I never looked back and love having the thicker bezel.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
If it uses the same AX with matched GPU performance, has a retina display, and can also go up to 64GB just like it's big brother, I may consider going mini.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Hope this product really is released. A smaller, less bulky iPad would be much more useable on the go and it wouldn't stick out so much.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
If they hold off and launch this thing in nov or god forbid dec it's going to be mass hysteria in the apple store they will be going for a grand on eBay. It will be the have to have holiday gift

jimjeffers

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
Incorrectly stated Nexus 7 weight.

There is a typo that read confusingly so I checked on Daring Fireball's post. Your post states the iPad mini could be lighter than the nexus 7. But the article states the nexus 7 at 240g when in fact you meant to type 340g.

Not trolling -- just trying to help out as it threw me off at first!

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I STILL DON'T BELIEVE APPLE WOULD EVER RELEASE THIS!!
Here's why....Apple once said they were not scared of cannibalizing their pc sales with the iPad but I believe they are scared of cannibalizing their iPad sales!! iPhone is in a whole different league to do it but an iPad mini would kill off the bigger iPad!! Why buy a 600$ iPad when you can get the mini with a slightly smaller screen for a much lower price??
iPad is killing everything right now why mess with success??

If it doesn't have a retina screen, which I doubt it will, it will not kill off the bigger iPad. Sorry, but a smaller screen at a lower resolution won't appeal to many people. When you use a retina device, everything else seems meh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.