Apple's 'iPad Pro' Plans Reportedly on Hold

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Very bad news. I'd certainly love a 12"+ iPad with multiwindow/pane multitasking and Wacom pen support.

----------

Exactly - like me.

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Exactly. And windowed (or at least multipane, a'la Windows 8 / Samsung) multitasking.

3. rowspaxe macrumors 68020

rowspaxe

You guys need to go samsung rumors: We're all about consumption tablets with no file browsers or pen interfaces here. But dont tell apple can't innovate: in a few months there will be a new champagne colored ipad with a finger scanner. And thats about as pro as it needs to get

4. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

You won't believe it: I also have an Android tablet (a N7 2013), in addition to my full arsenal of iPads (incl. the latest rMini). You won't guess: I don't use the N7 at all, the rMini is so much better for Web browsing / generic usage / gaming.

That is, I don't want to go the Android way. I'd welcome something like the top Android (and Windows 8 Pro) tablets have - but with iOS, obviously.

5. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Propped up or on a lap, the weight would be inconsequential. Apple's marketing "Power of lightness" has nothing to do with me and my decisions on purchases. I don't say that negatively. My iPad and my MBA weren't purchased based on Apple's vision of their products. Neither was my GS3 or Nexus 7 based on the vision of their respective manufacturers. I choose a few products in a category, road test them to see which I like best, and pick. I have no love or hate for any manufacturer. I do want a larger tablet. If Apple makes one, they will be in the mix of manufacturers when I decide to buy a new tablet. Funny thing, I won't be in the market for a new tablet any time soon so Apple has some time.:D My wife found the receipt for my new Falcon NW Fragbox. :eek: She was not happy.:mad:

6. 69650 Suspended

Samsung already has one 12.2" device on the shelves with more to come soon. I don't see how they can do it and Apple can't. It would be a big mistake IMO to delay the larger iPad any further than later this year.

7. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I think they mean 11", the bezels are too large for a 13"

8. panther quest macrumors regular

panther quest

I don't care, but they need to bring pressure sensitivity to the next gen of iPads.

9. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

I really hope that if a big iPad comes out, it'll have a better home screen than the boring grid we have now. It's okay on an iPhone, but on an iPad it just makes me sad.

10. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Most of your time will be spent in apps anyways. In that context, what's wrong with a grid of apps?

11. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

It just looks so boring and feels like a waste of space to me. Literally every other OS there is has some interactivity to it - Live Tiles and Widgets, while iOS is still stuck with the same 2007 boring home screen.

12. Bibbler macrumors regular

Oh that's cute the way you repeated that nonsense for the millionth time. You're so original. I bet your Mac is elegant, magical, tasty, and delicious too, isn't it?

13. JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was shelved, or even a no-go from the start. I was always of the opinion that if it were going to be made, it was going to be the first attempt by Apple to address mobile content creation with any degree of seriousness. Given the steps they've made in the recent past to shed their image as filling that particular niche, such news certainly fits well to me. Honestly, if that's what they were after, they would've done will to get in bed with Wacom to have iOS, or even a full version of OS X power the Companion. As it is, it seems I'll be snagging one of those later this year, despite the horror of Windows 8.

14. AtlasDock macrumors newbie

wow.. little too big for my liking. why not just make the macbook air touchscreen?

15. WallToWallMacs macrumors regular

How about this more obvious reason - it never existed in the first place.

16. D-Dave macrumors 6502

Wow...thanks for the chuckle.

17. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Incorrect.

18. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

IIRC the rumors of the iPad Pro hit MR around the May/June time frame. The Sammy tablet was rumored as early as Dec 2012 (at 13"). It was nearly leaked Feb/Mar 2013.

I've said it before, Samsung is the king of multi-sizing. How can it even be claimed they came out with the larger tablet because of Apple. Before the year is over they will probable have another 3 sizes added to tablets and 2 more to phones.

19. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Steve didn't during his time but had he stayed/lived he might have been convinced eventually.

20. drgrafix macrumors regular

drgrafix

One question would be whether Apple wants LOL me to dump my MBP in favor of a iPadPro? My wife and I both have iMac desktops, we both have iPhones, she has an iPad, and I have a MBP. What would it take for me to buy a iPadPro?

I don't need a bigger iPad. That said, an ideal iPP (for me) would probably be sized so that the unit is no wider than it currently is, but I'd prefer a screen format that is the same as all trending TVs or the same ratio as my MBP. Definitely has to have the killer retina screen, love to see a camera with zoom/macro options. You don't need a lens that 3D's out of the housing, I've used a Sony PnS with decent zoom/macro and a thin body. Like everyone else, I'd want a USB port for storage options, and possibly a wacom type stylus that could be used in lieu of my fat fingers.

Millions of us travel with iPads, laptops and whatever, and a decent amount of us are Netflix and/or HBO-Go crazy which means movies and TV shows. My BIL called me a few weeks ago and he was trying to figure out how to see "more" of a movie on his iPad screen... didn't want the black bars LOL. They were going to Park City for an extended weekend. I explained to him that the iPad format doesn't lend itself to movies/TV shows and that didn't go over well LOL. I think Apple should consider the millions of iPad owners and potential owners who would like a TV/Movie friendly format new iPad. I can live with the current screen width and if it was shorter with some extra features... works for me.

Just my $ .02 Mike

21. gatortpk macrumors 6502

Finally someone got that right. I was about to point out the original quote is incorrect:
    Originally Posted by RedGemini:
    They really need to stop using that picture. How can a 12.9" "iPad Pro" be BIGGER than the screen of a 13" MacBook Air? Did anyone even remotely think that didn't look right?​

The area of 4:3 is always greater than the area of 16:9 (or 16:10) ratio display at the same diameter. Plus the height is higher on a 4:3 than a 16:9 ratio displays. (16:9 = 4:2.25 and 2.25 is shorter than 3 by 25%!)

Plus the perspective in the illustration should be accurate but may be deceiving to some because the iPad Pro is actually "closer" in the illustration.