Apple's 'iPad Pro' Plans Reportedly on Hold

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 14, 2014.

1. flottenheimer macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

It was simply a decoy operation, designed only to make Samsung go for it. :cool::D

2. b52hbuff macrumors newbie

Notice the teaser mockup / comparison screens. The iPad is on the home screen. The Air is showing a multi-windowed screen.

Split screen and multiple window support is a huge productivity gain. I ca understand holding off on multi-tasking on a phone or even iPad mini's. But on a full sized or super-sized iPad???

What are you going to use all of that real estate for? A bigger Angry Birds window?

3. nad8e macrumors regular

How about they release an updated MBP i have been patiently waiting for?

4. Thunderhawks Suspended

Yes, count me in:)

I posted a few times I'd take a 27" iPad

5. Arelunde, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Even if an iPad Pro were to materialize, there would be some major issues. One of these would be the keyboard - on screen and how big.

Using a touch screen to type is difficult, even for an expert. It's actually faster to type on the iPhone's keyboard - using one or two hands - than on the iPad, even the Mini. Distance between the keys becomes a speed factor.

So a keyboard likely would be needed for an iPad Pro. Even the futuristic concept of a holographic keyboard would require a flat surface and a stand for the iPad Pro. Wait! I know - attach a keyboard and make it a cover!

If larger touch screens are to be part of our daily lives, I'm guessing they will become the embedded tabletop, countertop or wall versions like we already see on tv news and weather. Therefore a 12-13-inch carry-around iPad would be marginal at best.

PS - That supposed photo of an iPad Pro prototype next to a MBA is doctored. The iPad Pro is a photo of an iPad Air dropped (i.e.: photoshopped) into a photo of a desktop with the MBA on it. The disproportionate size of the two is ridiculously amateur.

6. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Coincidentally, I have also shelved my companies purchase of any new iPads until they come out with it.

7. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

Judging from the size of the gap between the keyboard and the edge, as well as the aspect ratio of the display, it appears to be a 13" MBA. They just rendered the iPad too big.

----------

They just updated those in the Fall of 2013. I think the current MBP is a great machine, what sort of specs are you looking for?

8. Radio macrumors 68000

Jobs said the iPad was the perfect size

Anything smaller is trash

9. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Well it's like when last year rumors circulated of Apple working on iPotty. And so of course the counter rumors also revealed that Samsung's knee-jerk-reaction was to commission 500 engineers and $2 billion R&D for the development of the GalaxyFlush smart-commode.

10. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    Better headline would be "Digitimes hasn't had a lot of web traffic lately, reverses a rumor they themselves created in hopes of more page hits".

Why does MacRumors fall for this every time?

11. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

wait -- so a never-seen, rumored-only device is now not going to be seen? amazing! or doom!

12. AppleScruff1 macrumors G4

AppleScruff1

Updated with what? The next generation processors aren't ready yet.

13. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

apple innovation comes up in the form of several products a year. who else had a retina-quality laptop? who else had all the amazing updates to the iphone? who else came up w/ the most amazing workstation in an ultra small, silent package? all of this is innovation.

what youre referring to is new product categories. for reasons ill never understand...

----------

sure. it was based on the notion that MS had to fuse mobile & desktop together, because look how popular apple had made mobile OSes.

----------

then you dont understand apple at all. modern day apple never, ever protects one product from another -- they have shown time & again that they are happy to kill off one product w/ another. jobs has talked about this -- theyd rather cannibalize themselves than let somebody else come in and disrupt things.

----------

im glad youre not in charge my company -- if we waited until a purely rumored non-product were released rather than use actual tools out today, we'd never get any work done!

----------

ask your kids to show you how its done.

er, you do realize thats a rendered mockup and not a photo, right?

----------

he was referring to the state of things at the time -- this was pre-retina-level DPI, and the smaller tablets of the day were pretty crummy.

14. Crosslad macrumors newbie

My recollection is that Steve Jobs said Apple would not introduce a 7" tablet. They didn't, the iPad mini has a 7.9" screen which was shown to have something like 50% more screen real estate than a Nexus 7. In fact many android manufacturers, including Samsung, then copied Apple by bringing out 8" tablets.

15. JLL macrumors regular

Of course he did. That's what they had to sell.

16. joneill55 macrumors 6502

One of the basic edicts of high technology:

"If you want to be on the cutting edge, be prepared to bleed" :)

Car play will be awesome in v 2.0 & 3.0. Anyone who thinks it will be fully functioning with all the bells and whistles in the next model year needs to put down the crack pipe and take a deep breath.............

I remember all too well how crappy the BMW & Audi MMI systems were in v1.0. They sucked even more than they do now :)

So if your in the buying cycle and expect car play to be the bees knees in v 1.0, be prepared to bleed and be gravely disappointed!

17. Klyster macrumors 68000

Klyster

18. derbladerunner macrumors 6502

The question is the size of the market.

There were certainly people in need of a 17'' laptop or an XServe too, but these market were too small for Apple.

I assume the iPad mini market is much larger than the potential "iPad XXL" market.

----------

What about the weight alone of such a large device? Apple introduced the iPad Air to make their devices lighter. Apple's current tagline: Power of lightness.

I personally don't see why a 9.7'' screen is not large enough for most people (and as I noted above, Apple doesn't seem to care about smaller niches, otherwise they would still sell their 17'' MacBooks).

PS: I rather see demand for a larger iPhone, say 4.7''. That makes more sense to me in terms of larger size screens in their mobile lineup.

19. Radio macrumors 68000

There is a $3000 Mac Pro

What size of market are you thinking they will impact?!

20. derbladerunner macrumors 6502

That machine has very specific functionality (4K, high-end content creation...) that the rest of their HW lineup can't offer.

The MacPro is strategically important for Apple (e.g. used by many Apple developers) so it's a special case. But even the MacPro was arguably neglected for a long time by Apple, it wasn't funny waiting for the past 2-3 years.

I don't see such unique advantages for a 12.9'' over a 9.7'' iPad (except for the few use cases like content creators, showrooms, museums, store displays...but is the demand large enough ?)

21. Radio macrumors 68000

That Mac Pro isn't selling well and your point is

----------

My gf is a fashion designer and could use a larger tablet

It would be really helpful

22. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Isn't the most likely scenario that this was a bunch for B.S. from the start?

23. richman555 macrumors 6502

richman555

Honestly, an iTable would be AWESOME!!

Just think of how connected you would be at the dinner table.

24. apolloa macrumors G5

Should the title of this news story not read as:

Apple's RUMOURED 'iPad Pro' Plans Reportedly on Hold

Because it's pretty contradictory to then continue writing in a way that you are not convinced by the story of the hold on the iPad Pro, when the iPad Pro actually ever existing in itself it nothing more than a rumour with NO factual evidence of actually existing available.

25. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

I still think they pretty much nailed it with the original screensize.

They should rahter give the iOS more "pro" abilities then increasing the screensize (Where is my wacom support god damn it ;) )