Apple's 'iPad Pro' Plans Reportedly on Hold

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Samsung bait. Just like that stupid watch.
I love how people here are so obsessed with Samsung and what they do. Don't worry about. You don't work for Apple, so stop acting like you do.

Oh and the last I checked, the "iWatch" doesn't even exist. So yea, you can't say Samsung copied a product that doesn't even exist! :rolleyes:

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I hope this is a "LOL DigiTimes" thing and the iPad Pro is still a go. With a well adjusted iOS (true multitasking), it would be an incredible productivity tool.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
I don't think it makes sense to expand the ipad to 12 or 13 inches given the current features of IOS. It would simply be a bigger ipad Air..I don't see much demand for it and to fragment the screen size simply is not characteristic for apple. Any change in IOS that warrants a bigger screen or actually makes it useful would probably be introduced gradually and not dumped in one go. As a content consumption device the Air is good enough, i really do not see the benefit (for apple) to have another content consumption device that fragments the eco-system.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I highly doubt that there ever was much serious development work put into this, I'm sure that Apple has made prototypes with a large variety of screen sizes, but I don't see a larger iPad as something that they would put much effort into.

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
"However, most of the large-size tablet projects face difficulties because of lack of support from related platform developers and ecosystems. Apple has also been said to shelved its large-size tablet project."

If i were Apple, i would be listening with all ears..

It's clear its not going to be a product. When you hear .."It's put back on the shelf" then you know it could be bad, its on hold for a long length of time. maybe indefinably. The small size tablets only went ahead because its was an acceptable screen size.... Start making it too big, and you have problems like this.

Fact is, if no one wants to support it, then its not a product from my point of view. I may be wrong in the future, but this looks like it at the moment.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Samsung moved to introduce its own product with the launch of a 12.2-inch tablet early this year...
That's why the iPad pro 'plans' have been 'shelved'. Job done. How easy it is to get Samsung to put their resources into a dead end. I think Apple have finally got the hang of this 'Samsung copies everything we do' lark.

Renzatic

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
Like the Samsung Gear watch. Windows 8 is the same category; there were so many predictions that Apple would combine MacOS X and iOS (which in my opinion would be a disastrous mistake) that Microsoft started believing it and copied it.
This is nearly the stupidest thing I've heard someone say around here, Gnasher. It doesn't make even the smallest bit of sense.

There had never been a rumor that Apple was combining OSX with iOS, and MS didn't copy it. Same with Samsung and the Galaxy Gear. They've been making smartwatches for years now. Just because Apple may or may not be making one, doesn't mean they're copying now that they've released yet another watch after that rumor was fielded. Assuming so just makes you sound shortsighted and narrowminded.

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
Just add a touch screen to a MacBook Air, add an IOS emulator and allow the keyboard to flip around the back of the screen and you will have made what I am looking for.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
Uh... I'd probably just buy the MacBook Air. Oh wait I already did. And at no point have I ever said "man I wish I had an iPad this size". MacBook Air with touchscreen. There you go.

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
Was hoping they would release a bigger version, just because it would be so impressive to look at - I'd buy one. I don't even have a need for an iPad while having a rMBP; the extra size is a minor inconvenience. Guess I'll just pass altogether then.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
if you are going to buy a 12 inch ipad you mines well buy a macbook air.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
This is terrible.

My 5 year old will be very upset.

She needs an upgrade from the mini

You told your 5 year old there will be one just because there was a unconfirmed rumor?

----------

Just add a touch screen to a MacBook Air, add an IOS emulator and allow the keyboard to flip around the back of the screen and you will have made what I am looking for.

Nooooooooooooo! Seriously, Apple, don't. Please.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2011
Trollhättan, Sweden
www.innovatum.se
They really need to stop using that picture. How can a 12.9" "iPad Pro" be BIGGER than the screen of a 13" MacBook Air? Did anyone even remotely think that didn't look right?
I know it says in the caption it is a 13" Air, but it looks much more like the screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio, pointing at the 11" model. However, it is irrelevant really as it is just a rendering and the scaling could be off as you say.

Last edited:

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
Same with Samsung and the Galaxy Gear. They've been making smartwatches for years now. Just because Apple may or may not be making one, doesn't mean they're copying now that they've released yet another watch after that rumor was fielded. Assuming so just makes you sound shortsighted and narrowminded.

But the timing. The tech has been there for years now and now they release one. Oh and on the year of Apple's iWatch rumors. What a coincidence.

Remember CES 2010? The show was flooded with Android tablets because there were iPad/iSlate rumors.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
They really need to stop using that picture. How can a 12.9" "iPad Pro" be BIGGER than the screen of a 13" MacBook Air? Did anyone even remotely think that didn't look right?
12.9" diagonal 4:3 is significant larger than a 13" diagonal 16:9.

7.7inch higher vs 6.3 inch high as shown in image. Inch and a half.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2011
Trollhättan, Sweden
www.innovatum.se

Excepting of course that the 13" model has a 16:10 aspect ratio screen. The 11" Air has the 16:9 screen.

Rumoured New Screen: 12.9" 4:3 — 10.3" x 7.7" - total 79.88" area
13" Air: 13.3" 16:10 — 11.3" x 7" - total 79.5" area
11" Air: 11.6" 16:9 — 10.1" x 5.7" - total 57.49" area

I think (hope) this rumoured screen is actually a 16:10 aspect ratio 12.9" retina display that is going to be used in a new redesigned Macbook Air using a new chassis similar in size to the current 11" model. Something like this:

12.9" 16:10 — 10.9" x 6.8" - total 74.79" area with a 2880x1800 resolution.

Anyway, the point is that if that is indeed meant to be a 13" Air in the rendering, then that iPad next to it is not properly scaled. If it is actually an 11" model though, the scaling of the rendering makes more sense.

Last edited:

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
www.qubedstudios.com

Exactly.

I know someone who purchased a Surface RT instead of an iPad because they wanted a bigger screen and thought the 16:9 10" screen was bigger than the 4:3 9.7" iPad screen, which is not true because of the screen ratio difference (the iPad screen is really bigger by a non negligible amount).

A lot of people make the same mistake when comparing 7" tablets with the iPad mini, thinking that the screen size difference is smaller than it is.

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
This is nearly the stupidest thing I've heard someone say around here, Gnasher. It doesn't make even the smallest bit of sense.

There had never been a rumor that Apple was combining OSX with iOS,
You must be looking at a different site than I am.

Renzatic

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
You must be looking at a different site than I am.
I've seen some analyst rumors being floated about an iOS-OSX hybrid since Windows 8 came out, but nothing beforehand.

MS wanted to leverage their strength on the desktop, and have tablets that could access their vast selection of software. It was what they were hoping would be their trump card against Apple and Google in the mobile wars. They didn't make Windows 8 a cross platform OS just because they heard a rumor Apple was doing that, and they felt like stealing the idea.

----------

But the timing. The tech has been there for years now and now they release one. Oh and on the year of Apple's iWatch rumors. What a coincidence.

Remember CES 2010? The show was flooded with Android tablets because there were iPad/iSlate rumors.
Barely. I didn't pay much attention to the mobile scene until the iPad released.

...which, if I remember correctly, most everyone believed was going to be an OSX tablet, not an iOS based one.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
This sounds more like a back track by Digitimes than an actual change of plans by Apple. The guys over at Digitimes have a horrendous track record.