Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raghu8912

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
San Jose
On iPhone 6 & 7 the Touch-ID button is paired with (an unreadable enclave) on the motherboard and cannot be switched out except as a pair to retain Touch-ID functionality.

If Touch-ID is imbedded in the new OLED screen can a cracked screen be replaced without having to replace the motherboard as a pair - probably only doable by Apple?
Touch ID is part of the cover glass, are you sure Mother board has to be changed to replace touch ID, i don't think so, as long as you use Apple original touch ID phone should work fine.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
The idea was put forward that the phone would authenticate through its facial recognition scan since there is no Touch ID.
Think about banks accepting Apple pay due to known security. Now imagine all of those banks that accept it suddenly being told we are using a different methodology. Trust us.

Reactions: Bacillus

raghu8912

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
San Jose
With Apple this year adding (according to rumors) OLED, wireless charging, fast charging, small bezels, buttonless front - all features implemented by Samsung long ago - your statement is somewhat ironic.
Samsung took a shortcut by shifting finger print scanner to the back, that was not elegant solution, i am sure Apple will have touch ID built into the display.
[doublepost=1501123597][/doublepost]
S

Sarcasm here? It's like you don't actually think that Apple's will be the best. We all know you do.
Facial recognition will not work for Apple Pay. Touch ID is a must.

Reactions: ianrip

ianrip

macrumors 6502
Touch ID is already implemented for IOS 11, its an integral part of the systemn for now, remember, with Apple Pay, we're now able to send money to each other, this will be a HUGE feature, they're becoming a bank!!!! and with App & Itunes store purchases, and now unlocking notifications on the lock screen, touch ID is not going away, if its under the screen awsome
Touch ID.jpg

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
No. They do not. The bezels we know with over 95% certainty. Inductive charging being the wireless charging solution? <30% certainty. There have been no solid leaks that say what will be the wireless charging methodology.
Where are you getting these precise estimates from? Cite your sources, please. There have been no solid leaks, period.

Reactions: Demo Kit

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I think Touch ID will end up being under the display and it will ship on time. Probably some shortages though. We will see.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Blah Blah Blah. It will be available and in our hands in September, with Touch ID under the display.
Highly unlikely.
Since the iPhone 4, we've always known most of the details about the new iPhone before it's released. This will be no different.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
No touch id will make it a deal breaker for me at launch. I'd need to confirm facial recognition works in real world lighting conditions. I won't buy it at all if the screen needs to go to full bright to work in low light situations.

If the facial recognition can be fooled by twins or look alikes, will you still buy it?

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Where are you getting these precise estimates from? Cite your sources, please. There have been no solid leaks, period.
No solid leaks? There have been reports galore for a year that it will have a near bezeless design. That is what nets you a greater than 95% confidence.

When the 4.7" and 5.5" size screens were rumored and materialized after over a year of reports, as well as numerous other years with leaks, you'd think people would catch on.

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Until you can confirm the wireless charging is inductive, don't comment on that, you look silly. Apple already has fast charging > you use the 12W iPad charger. Apple's bezels are smaller than Samsung's on the iPhone 8. Buttonless front was done by Apple before Samsung, talking solid-state. Now, a virtual home button was done first by Samsung, however, Apple won't do a virtual home button, so they're not catching up to anything there.
[doublepost=1501110284][/doublepost]
Bizarre to who? You? Really? You with you're next-to-zero knowledge of their plans and their business logistics? Hmmm tell us more please

No solid leaks? There have been reports galore for a year that it will have a near bezeless design. That is what nets you a greater than 95% confidence.

When the 4.7" and 5.5" size screens were rumored and materialized after over a year of reports, as well as numerous other years with leaks, you'd think people would catch on.

Cool. Reports galore. Still unconfirmed. Based on your previous comment of people commenting on unconfirmed reports, you look silly.
I'm not disagreeing with your statements, (in fact, I mostly agree with you) I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy. In one sentence you call someone silly for commenting on unconfirmed reports and then the very next sentence you comment on unconfirmed reports.

Until you can confirm the wireless charging is inductive, don't comment on that, you look silly.
The 2017 iPhones will not include inductive wireless charging at all. The 2017 iPhones include the RF-based wireless distance charging receiver power management chips from Energous/Dialog Semi. These chips are capable of contact to 15ft charging. This means that all 2017 iPhones are hardware-ready for contact to range charging.

Apple wouldn't have trouble getting an inductive charger out. They'd have trouble getting a never-before-used RF-based charger out. This charger will be a contact-based charger at or near launch, and the true short-range charger will launch at the end of the year. It's named 'HomePod'. It will be capable of 3-5ft charging radius.

The HomePod specifically launches in December in ONLY the US, UK, and Australia for two reasons:

1. December is the absolute end of the year which gives Apple maximal time for Energous to receive FCC approval of the short-range charging technology. Then, subsequent FCC approval of the HomePod which carries this technology. They are confident they can get it out in the next several months, BUT they wanted to ensure they set a sufficiently far out date.

2. The regulatory approvals for the US, UK, and Australia are likely much easier or faster for Energous to deal with and hence the reason why the HomePod only launches in 3 countries.

The HomePod is a speaker. Why in god's name would the HomePod take until December to finish and release in only 3 countries? It's a speaker. My belief is because it's not just a speaker, it's also a short-range wireless distance transmitting device for all 2017 iPhones. However, they will also be capable of contact-based charging from a separate, much cheaper accessory sold at launch.

If Apple does this, the HomePod will sell in absolutely absurd numbers and they will easily be a trillion dollar company.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I didn’t get my hands on my jet black iPhone till late October. I realize that I could still upgrade early by paying my 12 month balance ahead of time or early. But if I stick with the plan and upgrade in October-ish, assuming I would want to finance that much again. The supply issues shouldn’t be as bad at that point. Hopefully.
[doublepost=1501133166][/doublepost]
It might not ship until late in the year? You mean like always since iPhone 5?

You can always stay awake all night and be one of the first to hit the buy button once the Apple site goes live that night. lol.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
they are trying to implement what android phones have had for years in a few months.

Android phones have had through-screen fingerprint sensors “for years”? I’ve been looking for this - which ones?
[doublepost=1501137333][/doublepost]
Given the latest MacBook now has touch ID and Apple's efforts to integrate it within their systems along with Apple Pay and the related bank agreement, I call BS on this rumour.

It doesn’t work like that. Apple Pay will make the payment once the user is authenticated - it won’t care how the authentication is done. Apple Pay won’t talk directly to the fingerprint sensor and thus be dependant upon Touch ID.
[doublepost=1501137808][/doublepost]
Without Touch ID you cannot use Apple Pay. ... Touch ID has been integrated way too deep to leave it out...

Nope - it won’t work like that. Apple Pay will just want confirmation that the user is authenticated - it won’t care how.

Reactions: Syk and kdarling

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
The idea was put forward that the phone would authenticate through its facial recognition scan since there is no Touch ID.

So people say but it’s a dumb idea. I know it’s a dumb idea because I use Touch ID every day and Apple Pay dozens of times a week. I use Apple Pay where ever I can at groceries, retail and stores all the time. You cannot pay for something by looking at your phone when your phone is needed to be near the nfc terminal. It simply will not work. Touch ID will be there and it will be on the front of the phone.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Android phones have had through-screen fingerprint sensors “for years”? I’ve been looking for this - which ones?
[doublepost=1501137333][/doublepost]

It doesn’t work like that. Apple Pay will make the payment once the user is authenticated - it won’t care how the authentication is done. Apple Pay won’t talk directly to the fingerprint sensor and thus be dependant upon Touch ID.
[doublepost=1501137808][/doublepost]

Nope - it won’t work like that. Apple Pay will just want confirmation that the user is authenticated - it won’t care how.

What do you mean Apple Pay will just want confirmation that the user is authenticated? Apple Pay is much more than simple authentication. Apple made Apple Pay to be used only with a finger print because they only want that user who is present to authenticate the transaction. It does matter how it’s authentocated. You are so wrong. Apple Pay will always need a finger print to work because it is the most secure and sure way to authenticate a person, point blank.

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
What do you mean Apple Pay will just want confirmation that the user is authenticated? Apple Pay is much more than simple authentication. Apple made Apple Pay to be used only with a finger print because they only want that user who is present to authenticate the transaction. It does matter how it’s authentocated. You are so wrong. Apple Pay will always need a finger print to work because it is the most secure and sure way to authenticate a person, point blank.

So when you use Apple Pay on watch with just a PIN to auth, whats going on?

Reactions: Syk and kdarling

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
It is really stupid! No way on earth Apple will introduce (7S and 7S Plus) then or with what you call iPhone 8. This will destroy the sales. Simply not going to happen..
You're thinking about it wrong.

BMW has in it's 2017 lineup the BMW 1 series - BMW 7 series.

Do you think the BMW 6 series takes sales away from the BMW 4 series?

or the BMW 2 series from the BMW 1 series.

Numbers are just used to differentiate models, nothing more.
[doublepost=1501150220][/doublepost]
People seriously need to stop calling the iPhone 8 "delayed" or "late." .
Also how can a phone that hasn't been announced be "delayed" or "late"

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Cool. Reports galore. Still unconfirmed. Based on your previous comment of people commenting on unconfirmed reports, you look silly.
I'm not disagreeing with your statements, (in fact, I mostly agree with you) I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy. In one sentence you call someone silly for commenting on unconfirmed reports and then the very next sentence you comment on unconfirmed reports.
>95% confidence level is confirmed.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Jesus ***** Christ. The rumor cycle for this particular iPhone has been unbearably ridiculous. Major contractions on the daily and summaries of every possible outcome weekly. The hype train on this is a headache, everyone needs to chill out.

The best way to wash away the correct rumours is to flood the public domain with false ones. That way no one knows what's true or not.

Reactions: ianrip

John80

Suspended
May 15, 2016
Can someone tell me am I correct in this?

iPhone 7S may be worst iphone introduction ever. I thought that there is no reason to upgrade 6S to 7,because of small number of advantages. I see only rumors about iPhone 8/X/Pro etc, but almost no information about 7S... Propably better camera, but as every year it will not be big improvement to last year model. Inductive charging, ok but it's not a killer feature and I will have to buy charger seperatly. I think there will be absolutely no reason to upgrade 7 to 7S...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.