Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
People can see anything in a rounded design.

But there's no way that Ive and his massive ego will allow his supposed long-time coming single sheet of glass concept (scooped by Samsung, but I digress) to be referred to in anyway as having copied even 1% of a former Apple/any manufacturer's design.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
There was a time i really enjoyed this forum and the reactions.
Now: we want a new design, why changing the design all the time, give us back a 4s, apple lost its way, where the f.ck is the new imac, macpro, less products instead of more choice, etc. This, that, nananana.

Really tiring.
Fact is that apple never has been so succesful as now. And although he was great, SJ is no more. And consumer demands have changed since SJ was at the helm. I think apple under tc has done great so far. In contrary of what most posters here are thinking.

And now TC: where are the damned new Macs???? (Just to end all the new mac comments in every thread that are NOT about Macs)

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Listen, I love Mac Rumors as much as the next guy, but this has got to be the stupidest rumor I've ever heard. Should be called grasping at straws.
[doublepost=1490062722][/doublepost]
Except they weren't the same rumours. The "teardrop" design that never materialised was thicker at one end than the other, and looked nothing like the suggestion here.
Exactly. The rumored teardrop design iPhone was for the iPhone 5. It even led to one or more Chinese casemakers going all-in and producing thousands of cases based on a bogus phone schematic that never came to light.

Reactions: Demo Kit

AdamJD

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
My favorite iPhone to hold in my hands was the 3GS. It just fit! Hated giving that phone up.
Agreed! Wonder how it will be in a bigger size, but it's been my favorite all along - slipped into my pocket more easily also.

Reactions: DotCom2

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
The current iPhone design-wise isn't much different in shape than the original iPhone. It's just a hell of a lot thinner. I do t really see how it can be any thinner and maintain this "water drop" shape but we shall see.

Again though, how is the overall current design of the phone different than the original besides being thinner. It's been a long time since I had a gen 1 of course but I do t recall it being as "water drop" as the iPhone 3G/3GS.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
There was a time i really enjoyed this forum and the reactions.
Now: we want a new design, why changing the design all the time, give us back a 4s, apple lost its way, where the f.ck is the new imac, macpro, less products instead of more choice, etc. This, that, nananana.

Really tiring.
Fact is that apple never has been so succesful as now. And although he was great, SJ is no more. And consumer demands have changed since SJ was at the helm. I think apple under tc has done great so far. In contrary of what most posters here are thinking.

And now TC: where are the damned new Macs???? (Just to end all the new mac comments in every thread that are NOT about Macs)

In many ways you are correct, but I want to clarify something. SJ never cared what customer demands were. He was always two steps ahead. If you try and figure out what they want now your product will be out dated by the time you ship it.
[doublepost=1490066415][/doublepost]
The current iPhone design-wise isn't much different in shape than the original iPhone. It's just a hell of a lot thinner. I do t really see how it can be any thinner and maintain this "water drop" shape but we shall see.

Again though, how is the overall current design of the phone different than the original besides being thinner. It's been a long time since I had a gen 1 of course but I do t recall it being as "water drop" as the iPhone 3G/3GS.

Maybe a concave display with a water drop back? It would make the device easy to hold and the display easy to reach with one hand.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Listen, I love Mac Rumors as much as the next guy, but this has got to be the stupidest rumor I've ever heard. Should be called grasping at straws.

Agreed. This rumor is just far-fetched and not believable by any means. It's Also completely contradictory to any other rumor they reported for the iPhone 8.

LDN

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
You are probably picturing the side profile of a falling drop of water. But they are referring to a drop of water resting on a surface, with surface tension providing a specific curve, like so:

4411-cropped.jpg

You can see how the side view of the iPhone (on the left), when face down on a table would have a similar radius, curvature, and somewhat flat back as the water drop. Whereas newer iPhones (on the right) have a very flat back that is either squared or has a much smaller radius depending on the generation.

iPhone-4-v-iPhone-3G-08.jpg

All these years, wow I feel dumb. That thing needs a different name. Water bubble, water button, or something.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Dude! Do you have a source within Apple!!??

:D

I have a mental superpower that enables me to read minds. :p

Tim is struggling with concepts for future products. But through my telepathic connection, I have been able to confirm the following:

The next Mac will have a keyboard and a mouse / trackpad type interface. It will also use a video display to enable us to view what we are working on. It will also come with a proprietary operating system from Apple preinstalled.

The next iPhone will be able to make phone calls. It will also be able to play music and videos using a custom Apple sanctioned media player. It'll also use a touch screen to interact with the iOS operating system and installed software. It also will not feature a file management interface. Likewise, it will not have user expandable memory (SD Card).

The next Apple Watch will be worn on your wrist. And it will primarily provide you with the feature of being able to switch out the watch band with other bands sold by Apple.

And most importantly, Apple's stock will continue to increase in value.

However, many Mac Pro and Mac Mini enthusiasts will continue to be disappointed.

There you go. The future has been revealed. :D

Now I must rest. My telepathic connection has drained me of my energy. Or perhaps it's depression, I caught a glimpse of the Mac Pro's future as I was disconnecting... I don't know how to describe it. But one word seems to come to mind. Xserve.... :(

Kameha

Suspended
Aug 17, 2016
Water Drop Design hahaha like Bruce Lee said:
“You must be shapeless, formless, like water...Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”
Lawyer Lawyer Lawyer !!!

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
So now we have a curved glass back but flat screen front... ok.... bet they make it really thin though, gotta keep the bar of soap feel?

Meh the iPhone 8 sounds like a really boring design with this rumour, sigh they'll never beat the iPhone 4.

I'd say the 4S handedly beat the 4 lol.

skwarczek

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2017
Cardiff, Wales
First post, but something i've thought about since the whole $1000 price point has been rumoured - Would Apple be brave enough to offer the "anniversary" iPhone at the same price as the original iPhone from 10 years ago?

Wishful thinking and highly doubt it myself, but as a one off, would be a killer to all other phones due out this year.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
In many ways you are correct, but I want to clarify something. SJ never cared what customer demands were. He was always two steps ahead. If you try and figure out what they want now your product will be out dated by the time you ship it.
[doublepost=1490066415][/doublepost]

Maybe a concave display with a water drop back? It would make the device easy to hold and the display easy to reach with one hand.
Apple doesn' t give customers what they want. They still seem to release products noone wants, just in more sizes, but sales are massive.
Just read the cries on these forums.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Apple doesn' t give customers what they want. They still seem to release products noone wants, just in more sizes, but sales are massive.
Just read the cries on these forums.

That was kind of my point. They used to do it. Now they don't.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
I had an iphone 1 and admired the look of it as it really had a mac-like look, but for comfort amd asthetics the 3g was most comfortable with the curved back. When the 4 came out with the candy bar/ block chasis, I felt it was a step backwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.