Apple's iPhone 8 Said to Feature 'Water Drop Design' in Homage to Original iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2017.

1. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

People can see anything in a rounded design.

But there's no way that Ive and his massive ego will allow his supposed long-time coming single sheet of glass concept (scooped by Samsung, but I digress) to be referred to in anyway as having copied even 1% of a former Apple/any manufacturer's design.

2. ValO macrumors 65816

There was a time i really enjoyed this forum and the reactions.
    Now: we want a new design, why changing the design all the time, give us back a 4s, apple lost its way, where the f.ck is the new imac, macpro, less products instead of more choice, etc. This, that, nananana.

Really tiring.
    Fact is that apple never has been so succesful as now. And although he was great, SJ is no more. And consumer demands have changed since SJ was at the helm. I think apple under tc has done great so far. In contrary of what most posters here are thinking.

And now TC: where are the damned new Macs???? (Just to end all the new mac comments in every thread that are NOT about Macs)

3. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

surprise . this year's iphone is the re-release of the original iphone

4. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

A three-dimensional glass material? Wow, what material would be like glass but be able to be formed in three dimensions?

It'd be like, some sort of... glass.

5. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Listen, I love Mac Rumors as much as the next guy, but this has got to be the stupidest rumor I've ever heard. Should be called grasping at straws.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 ---
    Exactly. The rumored teardrop design iPhone was for the iPhone 5. It even led to one or more Chinese casemakers going all-in and producing thousands of cases based on a bogus phone schematic that never came to light.

6. AdamJD macrumors member

Agreed! Wonder how it will be in a bigger size, but it's been my favorite all along - slipped into my pocket more easily also.

7. Skoal macrumors 65816

The current iPhone design-wise isn't much different in shape than the original iPhone. It's just a hell of a lot thinner. I do t really see how it can be any thinner and maintain this "water drop" shape but we shall see.

Again though, how is the overall current design of the phone different than the original besides being thinner. It's been a long time since I had a gen 1 of course but I do t recall it being as "water drop" as the iPhone 3G/3GS.

8. 4jasontv macrumors 6502a

In many ways you are correct, but I want to clarify something. SJ never cared what customer demands were. He was always two steps ahead. If you try and figure out what they want now your product will be out dated by the time you ship it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 ---
    Maybe a concave display with a water drop back? It would make the device easy to hold and the display easy to reach with one hand.

9. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

Agreed. This rumor is just far-fetched and not believable by any means. It's Also completely contradictory to any other rumor they reported for the iPhone 8.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

11. LDN macrumors member

All these years, wow I feel dumb. That thing needs a different name. Water bubble, water button, or something.

12. SSDGUY macrumors 6502

Ha! Not a skinny jeans type, but I'm not wearing middle-aged fat guy jeans either.

13. Wanted797 macrumors regular

Same here except I had the 3G, still love they design. Hated the sharp edges of the 4 but it looked amazing. The 5 and afterwards [thumbs down]

14. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I don't think is hard to see it at all.

Attached Files:

15. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I have a mental superpower that enables me to read minds. :p

Tim is struggling with concepts for future products. But through my telepathic connection, I have been able to confirm the following:

The next Mac will have a keyboard and a mouse / trackpad type interface. It will also use a video display to enable us to view what we are working on. It will also come with a proprietary operating system from Apple preinstalled.

The next iPhone will be able to make phone calls. It will also be able to play music and videos using a custom Apple sanctioned media player. It'll also use a touch screen to interact with the iOS operating system and installed software. It also will not feature a file management interface. Likewise, it will not have user expandable memory (SD Card).

The next Apple Watch will be worn on your wrist. And it will primarily provide you with the feature of being able to switch out the watch band with other bands sold by Apple.

And most importantly, Apple's stock will continue to increase in value.

However, many Mac Pro and Mac Mini enthusiasts will continue to be disappointed.

There you go. The future has been revealed. :D

Now I must rest. My telepathic connection has drained me of my energy. Or perhaps it's depression, I caught a glimpse of the Mac Pro's future as I was disconnecting... I don't know how to describe it. But one word seems to come to mind. Xserve.... :(

16. Kameha Suspended

Kameha

Water Drop Design hahaha like Bruce Lee said:
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water...Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”
    Lawyer Lawyer Lawyer !!!

17. Sevendaymelee macrumors regular

Sevendaymelee

I'd say the 4S handedly beat the 4 lol.

18. skwarczek macrumors newbie

First post, but something i've thought about since the whole $1000 price point has been rumoured - Would Apple be brave enough to offer the "anniversary" iPhone at the same price as the original iPhone from 10 years ago?

Wishful thinking and highly doubt it myself, but as a one off, would be a killer to all other phones due out this year.

19. ValO macrumors 65816

Apple doesn' t give customers what they want. They still seem to release products noone wants, just in more sizes, but sales are massive.
    Just read the cries on these forums.

20. malexandria Suspended

no way, that would be absolutely horrible if Apple actually went retro on a "premium" phone.

21. 4jasontv macrumors 6502a

That was kind of my point. They used to do it. Now they don't.

22. ph001bi macrumors member

--- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2017 ---
    I have that tap. The Chrome started peeling within 6 months. Rubbish.

23. rubberfish macrumors newbie

Well, the site is called Mac Rumors! ;)

24. badsky2k macrumors newbie

badsky2k

25. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I had an iphone 1 and admired the look of it as it really had a mac-like look, but for comfort amd asthetics the 3g was most comfortable with the curved back. When the 4 came out with the candy bar/ block chasis, I felt it was a step backwards.