Apple's iPhone 8 Said to Feature 'Water Drop Design' in Homage to Original iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Techman82 macrumors member

I hope I'm wrong but the more i see especially from the last few days this is looking more like a bit of what they done with the iPhone se as an evolution of the iPhone 5, i really hope they don't make the the new phone like the original, we need to move on, we need a new iPhone that people are going to say omg! We can't keep holding on to the past like Nintendo and super Mario or something, it's the next generation, we need new design,hardware,software.

2. Aleh macrumors member

Aleh

The hell does this even mean? lol

3. PipSeg Suspended

PipSeg

4. travelsheep macrumors regular

travelsheep

But will it have a headphone jack? Or just triple the price of the original, but less features?

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Here's the old dreaded rumored "teardrop" iPhone.
    iPhone-5_new_mock_timn.jpg

"Water drop" is a new one. But IMO it sounds AWESOME! I loved the original iPhone and the way it felt in my hand. Modernize that a bit with all glass, OLED, edge to edge, etc, All while paying homage to the OG phone and I think it will be a bad a$$ phone. I can't wait.

6. ValO macrumors 65816

I think you are pretty close, actually.
    I like it, is like a black pebble, monolith mentioned in earlier rumors.
    Imagine your design with the rumors that it will have capacitive sound buttons.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I know the day is coming when that will be removed, but it will be a sad day for me. I toggle it at least a couple of times a day. Technically I use it even more often than that, when I do a blind check by feel just to ensure that I have it in silent mode. It's also really nice that I can toggle it instantly without pulling it out, lighting up the screen, and looking at it, for example in a theater when they run the reminder to silence your phones.

Yes it is not super attractive. It's one of the rare examples where Apple has chosen function over form. It is nicely made though.

8. usarioclave macrumors 65816

They're going to release a solid gold version of the iPhone 1 with iPhone 7 internals.

9. Sylvan macrumors regular

My 3G is much more comfy in the hand than my 6S. Would like to see a new phone with that shape.

10. seanmcbay macrumors member

I'd be cool with this. I still like the design of the original iPhone.

11. now i see it macrumors 65816

One of the biggest selling points of any new iPhone is camera improvement over the last generation. There's only so much anyone can do with a 3mm thick camera lens. My forecast: future iPhones (not just the next one) will slowly get bigger & thicker camera elements which will require either bigger bumps on the outside, or a thicker iPhone shell.

iPhones have reached maximum thinness. Thinner is over.

12. Music Ambulance macrumors member

Music Ambulance

Because design never references anything!

13. oldwatery macrumors 6502a

Make a damn modern computer Apple. Screw water drops and homages to old products! Boy has this company ever lost the plot :-(

14. neutralguy macrumors 6502

Yeah..this time also the charging connection will be on the back!!

15. Brandhouse macrumors regular

If that's a credible rumour then it flaming fugly as.

16. AT&T representative macrumors member

AT&T representative

Just what I wanted! A phone that looks 10 years old. The Nokia 3310 must be all the rage right now.

17. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

PizzaBoxStyle

http://www.apple.com/imac/then-and-now/

Hmmmmmm?

Maybe they don't reference themselves all the time, but it still seems like they reminisce more than they did when SJ was in charge.

18. Twixi macrumors newbie

Move on?

Iphone is the best smartphone in the World.
    Why change the design all the time ?
    Dosnt matter how much apple will change it ppl like u Will always complain the year after and complain to move on! Want change? Move to Android. I tried it i bought the s7 edge cus i loved the design and guess what i couldnt care less about the design now.

19. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Wasn't it "tear drop" design? Is this a Mandela effect thing? I always remembered tear drop design and not water drop design.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 ---
    Exactly!

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like this might be a somewhat different/new "water drop" design.

21. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Sounds good if back curves are symmetrical with the front curves. Especially if it looks like a single piece of glass without any frame.

22. LeonardXW macrumors member

Recently I read Steve Jobs biography, I read Tim Cook's talent in clearing inventory in few months. Now I realise why the iPhone 6, iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 all share the same design. I also understand why Apple will sell iPhone 6 Plus at developing country like Taiwan. I guess Tim Cook wanting to clear the inventory, or save cost by using the same die for manufacturing.

I prefer to have a refreshing design every year for every product, even the MacBook Pro.
    Maybe Jony Ive is too busy with designing Apple Park? Hope he will focus on commercial product after Apple Park finish its construction.

23. nzgeorge macrumors member

Don't iPhones already feature a water drop design?

You get any water on it and you drop its slippery aluminium surfaces.

24. SeattleMoose macrumors 65816

Good we are halfway back from some braindead decisions.
    Rounded is DEFINITELY better.
    Now just bring back the headphone jack (you don't have to admit it was a mistake, just claim it as innovation!!!).:cool:

The gold standard for me is the phone I still use....the 4S. They really nailed everything perfectly on it. Just gut the 4S, put in fresh updated innards, and you have my money!!!

25. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

That page is just sad for the aesthetic alone, the original, and the G4 iMac, had that in spades over anything since. The height of form over function was the 20" G4 iMac where they had to weigh down the base in order to support the screen. So far from the idea of "thinner" that is all we get now.

Agree with the sentiments of the original/3G iPhones being the most comfortable to hold. I was pretty shocked when they went with flat sides, and the design now is already back away from that, but it would be very nice to see the phone come full circle, as it were. Of course it will still be insanely expensive, but it would be nice on principle.